Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 03:33 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I like how you strategically ignored the rest of my statement. But I'll still play along.

Martin Luther King, JR marched peacefully to have the conversation that helped fuel civil rights. He did so without violence.
The thing is, many of us just don't see what else we can do to prove that everyone is equal. For every instance of a crime (whether real or perceived) against a black person has been committed one could find an instance of the same being committed against a white person.

So what's the real reason for the constant desire to protest?

Yet he was still beaten and jailed for it. Change is never accepted easily, regardless of how it's presented. The status quo has one prerogative, preserving the status quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
No tolls or tithes need to be paid in order to protest anything. Paupers and millionaires can be equally and properly outraged over injustice.
these spoiled prima donnas are only outraged by one thing; the fact they have to pay their agents 10% to negotiate their ridiculous salaries...where has their "outrage" been for the last several years?
Its only now, that its "in vogue" to protest/take a knee that they are suddenly "outraged"..

these are some of the most entitled people in our society, so I am sorry, I dont agree they have much to be outraged about..

and, where was their "outrage" when Tim Tebow, a white man, was not allowed to pray on the field? Selective outrage at its finest

Old 10-04-2017, 05:27 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I like how you strategically ignored the rest of my statement. But I'll still play along.

Martin Luther King, JR marched peacefully to have the conversation that helped fuel civil rights. He did so without violence. The thing is, many of us just don't see what else we can do to prove that everyone is equal. For every instance of a crime (whether real or perceived) against a black person has been committed one could find an instance of the same being committed against a white person.

So what's the real reason for the constant desire to protest?
Yes, MLK did what you said. But if he and similar activists only did that, I don't feel anywhere near as much progress would have been made. The Black Panthers are an example of another civil rights group that had an influence on the progress of the movement. The civil rights movement has always been a bit carrot and stick. Unfortunately, today too many people think civil rights progress was due almost solely to MLK and his colleagues.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:28 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I agree, that some athletes are very generous when it comes to "causes"; however there are 50 players on all these teams that "took a knee"..do you actually think all 50 of them are as generous as the ones you mentioned???? Not at all..
And how many posters in this forum give 10% of their earnings to "causes"...which is what the poster (was it you?) suggested. Virtually none; they just type.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:29 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Generally speaking black neighborhoods have more crime then white neighborhoods. That may sound racist but it is the truth. what can we do? What can black people do to turn that negative stereotype around?
I would alter this statement to "Generally speaking POOR black neighborhoods have more crime then white neighborhoods."

What can we do? I go back to training. Perhaps some protocols can be developed for traffic stops and other trigger points for being shot. Until things get better, black parents should train their children to tread carefully. If I were black and stopped by a police officer, I would just stay in the car and try to not move. I would try to stay calm, and explain that my driver's license is in the glove compartment (as was the case in one situation), so how do you want me to proceed?

What can black people do to turn that negative stereotype around? Not being black myself, I am mostly white and also part of a race that also has a negative stereotype that was also persecuted, shot, hung, driven out of existence (Native American). It is difficult to overcome such stereotypes, because poor people commit crimes, get drunk, etc. If the root cause of the problem is addressed, then the crime problems should start to disappear. OJ Simpson aside, you do not see many wealthy black people committing crimes.

What can police do? Isn't there some sort of knock-out bullet or weapon that incapacitates but does not kill? Shoot me if you must, but do not kill me over a broken tail light....

Old 10-04-2017, 06:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
these spoiled prima donnas are only outraged by one thing; the fact they have to pay their agents 10% to negotiate their ridiculous salaries...where has their "outrage" been for the last several years?
Its only now, that its "in vogue" to protest/take a knee that they are suddenly "outraged"..

these are some of the most entitled people in our society, so I am sorry, I dont agree they have much to be outraged about..

and, where was their "outrage" when Tim Tebow, a white man, was not allowed to pray on the field? Selective outrage at its finest
Tim Tebow was not allowed to pray? Seems like every camera on the field showed him kneeling in prayer when he was playing. And I'd imagine a fair amount of those who are pleading with current NFL players to "just play football" and leave their personal convictions off the field, had no issue at all with Mr. Tebow's personal convictions demonstrated publicly and on "company time".

Old 10-04-2017, 07:04 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And how many posters in this forum give 10% of their earnings to "causes"...which is what the poster (was it you?) suggested. Virtually none; they just type.
I wont give a dime of my money to this type of "cause" since there is no actual foundation or organization in charge of what ever this is that they are "protesting"..I donate to REAL charities, like children's hospitals and disaster relief...

Old 10-04-2017, 08:37 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcyprojects View Post
The team is there to provide entertainment for their respective city but it is also a major source of revenue among other things.

Imagine if the players, who we have established are mostly black, decided to protest football because they felt so strongly that their protest was still not being taken seriously?

In my heart I truly dont believe we are ready as a nation to give up football on a part of this as much as some people talk about it.

I shortened your statement, which I thought was very good and on point.

However, I think the key thing here is what you noted above. The team is there to provide entertainment, and there's a lot of money thrown at that entertainment. A lot of people depend on the each other to make this a profitable entertainment venue and cities have spent hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to help support that entertainment. The whole enterprise works with the combined efforts of hundreds of thousands of people. They each have a job to do. Some parts of the job, aren't that tough. One is to stand for the flag.

You are supposed to stand for the flag regardless of race. Its perhaps the most equality driven thing. Even people in wheelchairs put their arm over their heart. It's part of the experience. It's funding includes taxpayers and advertisers who don't want to make a scene. They want to be a part of sponsoring entertainment.

I'm an accountant. I just got closed on the international units for the end of the quarter. If another accountant came up to me today and said they weren't going to document their entries as a protest to the massive loss of trees in the Amazon, I'd fire them. People rely on us to get our job done, on time, in a manner that is professional so they can go on and do their jobs.

Which brings me to the four reasons why this protest fails in my books:

1. It makes no sense. Perhaps there's injustice in the world...and always will be, but certainly the NFL players are not the most marginalized paupers in the US. The people they threaten, hawking beer, cleaning up, doing the copywriting etc....those are the people that get hurt from the reduced revenue...so the protest threatens to CAUSE injustice to economic workers on a lower class that are all supporting a group who is disregarding them.

2. Players are making the game less entertaining by putting on a protest that doesn't make sense. It's a distraction that is unwelcome and makes an event less enjoyable. If I bring my kids to a game, I want them to see Americans coming together for something.

3. The players aren't doing their job. One aspect of the job is to stand and show respect for the flag. That's not just the player's job, but every American's job.

4. Finally, it's a terrible way of making something better. Everybody's known the cut-ups since middle school. When you kneel, and I have no other inputs, the first reaction has to be that you're disrespecting the flag or have some massive muscle cramp. So what's the solution to this? When in the perception of equality achieved? This is a pretty big slap in the face of tradition...what's needed to get it to end? If there's no path to victory...nothing to be achieved...then you're just wasting everyone's time.....while building a scapegoat for why a bad QB that couldn't quite make it got benched. These men have lots of resources at their disposal. They are not powerless. Maybe make a better example that others can get on board with.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:57 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
More thoughts on this kneeling protest if it does have to do about bad Police.

I think there is a lot of anger in our society today and it seems even more among young black men that seem to act out in alarming ways. Yes there are plenty of white guys that commit crimes of all nature but it seems there are more black guys that take up a hobby or even life of crime. We can blame the parents, blame their neighborhoods, blame society and where young black guys are placed in that society. I don't think spending more money on programs will help the underlying issues of anger.

It is this anger from the black community and society at large that has put our Police on edge. When you consider how an officer can make something as simple as a traffic stop and be faced with a drugged, drunk or bewildered driver or a guy that just robbed a bank or even a terrorist on his way to set off a bomb. The cop never knows just as officer Wilson had no idea that Michael Brown had just robbed the cigar store and carried a huge chip of anger on his shoulder.

We can blame the cops, we can blame black people but in the end it comes down to common sense, if a cop right or wrong tells you to do something you do it. If he has his gun out you listen and do everything he says and you will live to fight another day. It seems so basic but the guilty or criminal or just plain stupid don't seem to understand and these are the people who are being made into martyrs.

Yes there are bad cops but it seems that there are many more stupid people.
We can start with Lyndon Johnson and his Great Society. Blacks were doing pretty well demographically, two-parent households, incomes rising, etc. until Landslide Lyndon did his evil. Between Great Society and making his buddies rich in the Vietnam War, he belongs on the same floor with numerous tyrants in hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I've heard of Alex Jones, I would never watch his crap in a million years. But conspiracy nut are a dime a dozen and you either are one or have latched on to some of them to believe some boogeyman is pulling everyone's strings.
You really don't know much do you? You don't understand research and independent thought.
And if you get your information from the "news" business and various schools, you're about 80% brainwashed.

“Give me just one generation of youth, and I'll transform the whole world.”
― Vladimir Lenin

Old 10-04-2017, 09:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
We can start with Lyndon Johnson and his Great Society. Blacks were doing pretty well demographically, two-parent households, incomes rising, etc. until Landslide Lyndon did his evil. Between Great Society and making his buddies rich in the Vietnam War, he belongs on the same floor with numerous tyrants in hell.
While we're at it we can repeal the Civil Rights act too since LBJ signed that into law. In fact why not bring back Jim Crow. I'm sure you'll like that.

Quote:
You really don't know much do you? You don't understand research and independent thought.
And if you get your information from the "news" business and various schools, you're about 80% brainwashed.

“Give me just one generation of youth, and I'll transform the whole world.”
― Vladimir Lenin
You're not some thoughtful researcher. You're just a tool regurgitating far right-wing talking points. They love folks like you. So easily manipulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates