Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 12:30 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Children with single mothers typically live in poverty and have a really lousy
outcome. We're talking 70% single mothers. That's disastrous. How do you break the cycle?
How are we doing with the chicken or the egg problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
... My thought: if you want to disrespect our flag and our anthem and our country, I invite you to pack up and move somewhere else.
Clearly you don't understand the whole basis of the founding of America. Freedom of thought. Freedom of speech. And other principles as stated in the Declaration Of Independence and the Constitution.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I stand for the anthem but as we have seen there have been many NFL players who are taking knees in protest which in turn is causing many fans to tear up their tickets, burn their team memorabilia and boycott the games.

The black players are protesting because they think that America is letting them down. They don't like Trump and they don't like Police using deadly force on their own despite that they are generally caught in the act of committing crimes when the Police come down on them.

I think their protest is justified to a point but the way they have decided to go about is misguided and they are literally biting the hand that feeds them.

To the fans that are now turning their backs on the NFL in a form of protest their stance is also a bit misguided.
Black people have been battling with negative stereotypes for decades but they have still made huge strides in America. There is still a long way to go and they need to work on their own people to assist.

The kneeling players are calling attention to the black persons plight in our society. I don't like how they seem to be attacking America but I will continue to wear my Patriots gear and root for the home team.

For the fans that are dumping the NFL I can't help but feel that they are ignoring the problems or they are complacent with the black persons plight and Ok with it which I think is a form of old time Racism.

What do you think?

Is it racism to ignore what is going on against the black community and the fans turning their backs on the game is somehow perpetuating a racist stance that in a way keeps the black man down? "Or" are the fans making a stand for America by forming their own protests and boycotting ?
I just wanted to tell you that I think it says a lot about you (positive, not negative) that you do not personally agree with their method of protest and really don't fully understand why they chose it, yet you aren't allowing this to stop you from enjoying football or rooting for your favorite team.

This is what America was founded on. The freedom to peacefully protest, disagree, yet still be supportive of other Americans and their points of view, even when you do disagree.

I think that it is, to some degree racist (perhaps what you might refer to as "casually racist") to be more offended by the protest, than curious about WHY the protest is occurring in the first place.

If one merely stops and says "man... that's really disrespectful to our country... I wonder what is so wrong with them that they'd do this?" then they've done far more than a good many fans who are out there just ripping up tickets and calling these players bad names.

We should all work harder to understand one another. Everyone has some sort of struggle. Theirs clearly upsets them so much that they are putting their careers and their public images on the line for it.

That should mean SOMETHING.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Poverty and single mother households go together. It is also the worst way to grow up, bar none. Specifically for males. Kids who grow up in single mother households are more often abused physically and mentally. They end up as criminals way more often than other kids. To just have sex with some random guy, have a kid and raise it "by yourself" (with the help of government handouts) is the worst thing you can do to your kid and its future. I hope all future single mothers know this, but I doubt they even care.

Behavior is based on incentives. If there was no state or government handouts to take care of single mothers, women would think extra hard about who they chose to have sex with. But in this day and age of "female freedom", that doesn't seem to jive. It doesn't matter to women that they mess up their children and give them a terrible life. As long as they can have sex with as many partners as possible, it's all good.
Your sevond paragraph is only plausible in theory. Not fact, again, if being a single mother was the lone determinor in poverty than family oriented latin american countries would be wealthier than our country and many other western countries. If government handouts were the reason that people have kids than our fertility rates would be greater than India and many other third world countries. They have no safety net so please explain that.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Clearly you don't understand the whole basis of the founding of America. Freedom of thought. Freedom of speech. And other principles as stated in the Declaration Of Independence and the Constitution.

Freedom of speech does NOT mean freedom from consequence.

These are two very different things. Yes, you can say anything you want. But you could be held accountable for it.

Freedom to protest can mean the freedom of others to protest against you. People should think very hard on the message that they want to pass out and what repercussions it may have.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:51 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And I'd imagine a fair amount of those who are pleading with current NFL players to "just play football" and leave their personal convictions off the field, had no issue at all with Mr. Tebow's personal convictions demonstrated publicly and on "company time".
How many times have you seen a post-game locker-room interview where somebody says...

"First, I want to thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, for allowing me to catch that touchdown pass!"

Nobody bats an eye. And how many times have you seen a post-game locker-room interview where somebody says...

"Jesus made me fumble! He's always doing stuff like that. Last week he made the wind blow up all of sudden, and we missed the tying field goal! Jesus hates our team, man!"

Old 10-05-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Poverty and single mother households go together. It is also the worst way to grow up, bar none. Specifically for males. Kids who grow up in single mother households are more often abused physically and mentally. They end up as criminals way more often than other kids. To just have sex with some random guy, have a kid and raise it "by yourself" (with the help of government handouts) is the worst thing you can do to your kid and its future. I hope all future single mothers know this, but I doubt they even care.

Behavior is based on incentives. If there was no state or government handouts to take care of single mothers, women would think extra hard about who they chose to have sex with. But in this day and age of "female freedom", that doesn't seem to jive. It doesn't matter to women that they mess up their children and give them a terrible life. As long as they can have sex with as many partners as possible, it's all good.
What makes me laugh about your thinking is that you act as if a third of all White mothers being single is anything to brag about. That's pretty pathetic, as well.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Freedom of speech does NOT mean freedom from consequence.

These are two very different things. Yes, you can say anything you want. But you could be held accountable for it.

Freedom to protest can mean the freedom of others to protest against you. People should think very hard on the message that they want to pass out and what repercussions it may have.
Have I suggested that there should be no repercussions to protest. I agree. Actually, it's a type of dialog.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:07 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They are, in my opinion, protesting against unequal treatment...unequal treatment that has always existed in this nation.
Well no one treated equally and life isnt fair.
The wealthy are treated better than the poor, the educated better than the uneducated, celebrities better that unknowns, the thin better than the obese, athletes better than nerds, one could argue men better than women or women better than men, the majority better than minorities, citizens better than immigrants. But legally, constitutionally we all have the same rights, opportunities and privileges.
I'm really not sure how one protests such a broad and vague concept of "unequal" treatment.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well no one treated equally and life isnt fair.
The wealthy are treated better than the poor, the educated better than the uneducated, celebrities better that unknowns, the thin better than the obese, athletes better than nerds, one could argue men better than women or women better than men, the majority better than minorities, citizens better than immigrants. But legally, constitutionally we all have the same rights, opportunities and privileges.
I'm really not sure how one protests such a broad and vague concept of "unequal" treatment.
So do you accept being treated as lesser than than someone else because of something you can't change or do you say something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates