Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 07:58 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You were the one who suggested all white males killed by cops could be armed and dangerous. I gave you the link that showed the large majority of unarmed people who were killed by cops were also white. You are just arguing using tabloid stories with no statistics to back up your prejudice at all. You seem comfortable implying that crime rates DO matter when it comes to white males getting shot and killed. So why on earth wouldnt the same hold true when it comes to other races? Why do you think so few Asian males and ZERO Asian females get killed by the police? Do you have an explanation other than Asians rarely dominate high crime neighborhoods?
My statement was on statistics, not on white males. You come up with a statistic on 532 white men killed by police Anderson to let that stand on its own as proof of something. I said for all you know they could have all been armed to point out the relevance of numbers by themselves . I wasn't making any judgment on white men, criminals, or anything else you want to believe.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:12 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My statement was on statistics, not on white males. You come up with a statistic on 532 white men killed by police Anderson to let that stand on its own as proof of something. I said for all you know they could have all been armed to point out the relevance of numbers by themselves . I wasn't making any judgment on white men, criminals, or anything else you want to believe.
But be honest. The disparity is extreme and you would never suggest that all black males killed by police could be armed and dangerous. Black males being twice as likely to get killed as white males is frequently used as proof of white privilege and racism, while 532 white males getting killed including the majority of the unarmed killings in America (which you hadnt even heard of because the media dont highlight it) while zero Asian females getting killed gets a silent response...

You know fully well that crime rates have a massive influence on these statistics. White males of course have no advantage over Asian females in encounters with the police. White males are almost three times likelier to get killed by police as Asian males. There is zero reason to talk about white males being "privileged" in run-ins with the police. The statistics clearly show this. In fact, its also clear that young males will be treated differently in the justice system than females for example. So you would have "female privilege" if we follow the logic of people interested in labeling whole races and genders as privileged. What people are doing is simply to emphasize whatever disadvantage they may have and dismiss all advantages as irrelevant, when the reality is that all individuals will have advantages and disadvantages in various situations. Its stupid to label whole races as privileged as all people will have some "privilege" by that logic, It simply divides people.

Last edited by PCALMike; 10-14-2017 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-14-2017, 08:29 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
If you look back, you would see that "Greek problems" and "Polish problems" were also consider major issues when the Greeks and Poles dominated the underclass in certain areas of the country. You race obsessed people simply refuse to talk about the elephant in the room. Its a class issue first and foremost. And ZERO progress is happening on that front. On the contrary; while people go on and on about how they want things to change, the top 1% who own the media are happy to divide people based on race, political affiliation, religion and other means. The middle class black person labeling the white poor disabled person as part of the privileged class does a great job at keeping this division going.
It's more like some folks are historical-reality-based 'obsessed'. Looking back, one can identify the time frame, the places & the severity of the 'problems' surrounding ... Greek, Polish, Italian, Irish peoples.

Now consider the persistence of these problems. How many of the problems of ... Greek, Polish, Italian, Irish peoples persisted well into the 20th century? How many required a full fledged American civil rights movement to encourage awareness of the necessity to address & focus on corrective or protective measures? Consider too the severity of the problems encountered? How many problems persist in the present day? How much resistance is acknowledged?

It's not so much acknowledgement of guilt as it is awareness of a problem that begins the process of seeking solutions.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It's more like some folks are historical-reality-based 'obsessed'. Looking back, one can identify the time frame, the places & the severity of the 'problems' surrounding ... Greek, Polish, Italian, Irish peoples.

Now consider the persistence of these problems. How many of the problems of ... Greek, Polish, Italian, Irish peoples persisted well into the 20th century? How many required a full fledged American civil rights movement to encourage awareness of the necessity to address & focus on corrective or protective measures? Consider too the severity of the problems encountered? How many problems persist in the present day? How much resistance is acknowledged?

It's not so much acknowledgement of guilt as it is awareness of a problem that begins the process of seeking solutions.
There is no solution in the pipeline as long as class is not talked about. As Poles no longer dominated the underclass, the discrimination gradually faded. The solution was not to demonize non-Poles as racist bigots who are privileged and need to pay a price. That just cause division and hatred. The media can pretend to "raise awareness" as much as they want. As long as African Americans dominate the underclass and class issues are ignored in America, then you wont see any solution.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
There is no solution in the pipeline as long as class is not talked about. As Poles no longer dominated the underclass, the discrimination gradually faded. The solution was not to demonize non-Poles as racist bigots who are privileged and need to pay a price. That just cause division and hatred. The media can pretend to "raise awareness" as much as they want. As long as African Americans dominate the underclass and class issues are ignored in America, then you wont see any solution.
I agree issues of class are often used to divide people, this is also a historical reality here & elsewhere.

I just don't think it makes sense to ignore, disregard, or dismiss the leaps in progress made by the awareness accomplished by the decades long American Civil Rights movement.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:00 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
Quote:
What specifically are you talking about that makes life so much tougher now than in the past?
Well, 800-pound gorillas ought to be easy to spot, but I think you've missed this one completely. When you have a 400-year history of demeaning people by race and denying them even the most basic rights, there is massive accumulated damage that is being done still, even if the worst of the beasties has managed of late to refrain from lynchings or dragging people to death behind pickup trucks. American society today is plagued and characterized by few things more significantly than its grand history of venal racist abuse.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I agree issues of class are often used to divide people, this is also a historical reality here & elsewhere.

I just don't think it makes sense to ignore or disregard the leaps in progress made by the awareness accomplished by the decades long American Civil Rights movement.
But be honest; do you honestly dont see how not addressing the elephant in the room, the massive class divide in America, is a deliberate strategy by the media? The media isnt "raising awareness". They are just stoking the flames of division and hatred. This isnt some Civil rights movement. They simply use race issues to divide the 99%. Nothing will change when poor whites rightfully feel demonized as undeserving by smug rich elites and black voters will vote for the person who swims in bribe money from the same elite yet talk about "white privilege" and the scourge of racism. Do you think its appropriate to tell a disabled person to shut up because he has "heterosexual privilege" or "tall privilege"? Dont you see how obnoxious it comes across? The media know what they are doing by dividing people up. And this means no change is in the pipeline.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Well, 800-pound gorillas ought to be easy to spot, but I think you've missed this one completely. When you have a 400-year history of demeaning people by race and denying them even the most basic rights, there is massive accumulated damage that is being done still, even if the worst of the beasties has managed of late to refrain from lynchings or dragging people to death behind pickup trucks. American society today is plagued and characterized by few things more significantly than its grand history of venal racist abuse.
Are you male? Heterosexual? Does thousands of years of history of demeaning people based on gender and sexual orientation cause you to believe that you should pay a steep price for your "male heterosexual privilege"? Perhaps if I tell you that if you dont raise awareness everyday about your privileges as male or heterosexual or whatever, then you are spreading homophobia, misogyny? Do you think that is appropriate?

Lets not kid ourselves here. What you are talking about is class issues. If America had a proper public safety net, a national health care system and ensured that great educational opportunities were available to all members of society, in particular the underclass, then these "race issues" wouldnt really be issues and far fewer people would be susceptible to the ideas of "race X" being responsible for the ills of society.

Last edited by PCALMike; 10-14-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-14-2017, 09:13 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,761 times
I remember vividly one time when I was about 11, my dad complaining about how as a manager in an aerospace company he was required to hire a minority candidate who interviewed over a white one even if the white candidate had more experience or presented better at the interview. He was pretty pi**ed off about it as he wanted to be able to hire the person for the job based on their qualifications not skin color.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
But be honest; do you honestly dont see how not addressing the elephant in the room, the massive class divide in America, is a deliberate strategy by the media? The media isnt "raising awareness". They are just stoking the flames of division and hatred. This isnt some Civil rights movement. They simply use race issues to divide the 99%. Nothing will change when poor whites rightfully feel demonized as undeserving by smug rich elites and black voters will vote for the person who swims in bribe money from the same elite yet talk about "white privilege" and the scourge of racism. Do you think its appropriate to tell a disabled person to shut up because he has "heterosexual privilege" or "tall privilege"? Dont you see how obnoxious it comes across? The media know what they are doing by dividing people up. And this means no change is in the pipeline.
Honestly, I'm attempting to convey my personal take on things is all.

The 'media' during the time frame before the American Civil War may have done the same or similar.

All I'm suggesting is a critical & creative approach to problem solving, something like this:

• Identify the problems. — “What’s the real questions we’re facing here?”
• Define the context. — “What are the facts & circumstances that frame this problem?”
• Enumerate choices. — “What are our most plausible three or four options?”
• Analyze options. — “What is our best course of action, all things considered?”
• List reasons explicitly. — “Let’s be clear: Why we are making this particular choice?”
• Self-correct. — “Okay, let’s look at it again. What did we miss?”

What are the biggest problems here? What is the best course of action, all things considered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.