Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 03:49 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times

Advertisements

Asians have nothing to do with it. They live in a closed community. Crimes are not reported. The same with the mafia. The police don't kill mafia. Back in the 70's the mafia controlled whole neighborhoods, whole industries, all the major crimes were controlled by them. Cops didn't shoot them. I sincerely don't understand what point you are trying to make. Police like to work in the ghettos because they make lots of overtime on collars. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. As many whites use street drugs drugs as blacks but the cops don't raid suburban neighborhoods, fraternity houses or retirement villages.The prison industrial complex, the justice system, it's all a money making industry. If they convict the guilty fine. If the guilty get off, or the innocent get convicted, fine too. They get paid either way. Crime statistics are only reported crimes. Many people don't report crimes because unless they have money, or plan to file an insurance claim it's a waste of time. 95% of all crimes are unsolved. You are talking about the establishment but don't seem to know where the cool aid is.

it's a waste of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Hispanics get killed by police at about the same rate as whites. Hispanics actually are slightly less likely to get killed if you adjust for the fact that hispanics are younger on average and younger people statistically are more likely to get killed by the police. Its the ASIANS who are severely underrepresented in killings by the police, not whites. Whites are almost 3x as likely to get killed by the police as Asians, adjusted for population. If you seriously believe that the Asian American murder rate is just as high as the African American murder rate, but African Americans just happen to be caught and incarcerated more often because of some type of racism, then you are not living in the real world and have drunk the kool-aid.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:58 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Asians have nothing to do with it. They live in a closed community. Crimes are not reported. The same with the mafia. The police don't kill mafia. Back in the 70's the mafia controlled whole neighborhoods, whole industries, all the major crimes were controlled by them. Cops didn't shoot them. I sincerely don't understand what point you are trying to make. Police like to work in the ghettos because they make lots of overtime on collars. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. As many whites use street drugs drugs as blacks
but the cops don't raid suburban neighborhoods, fraternity houses or retirement villages.The prison industrial complex, the justice system, it's all a money making industry. If they convict the guilty fine.
If the guilty get off, fine too. They get paid either way. Crime statistics are only reported crimes. Many people don't report crimes because unless they have money, or plan to file an insurance claim it's a waste of time. 95% of all crimes are unsolved. You are talking about the establishment but don't seem to know where the cool aid is.

it's a waste of time.
You seriously think the homicide rate among Asian Americans is as high as among African Americans but it is not reported, because they live in closed communities and commit murders just like the mafia? This is just absurd. Homicide rates among Asian Americans ARE LOWER than any other group. Thats just the facts. If you want to talk about privilege, while ignoring that young hispanics and young whites are killed at the same rate by the police and asians are killed at less than half the rate of hispanics and whites, then you are not being honest with yourself.

Last edited by PCALMike; 10-14-2017 at 04:37 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 06:50 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake, get over it! White privilege is a fact, by virtue of the fact that White people created the political and economic systems in this country, and control them. They were created inequitably, and some of that inequity is maintained to this day, a few aspects have been dismantled, but there's more work to be done in the "dismantling" department. All the concept of "white privilege" is doing, is acknowledging that generally speaking, the group that created the systems and maintains them, has an edge in reaping the benefits from them. That's all. I don't experience that as "guilt". If you do, that's your issue.

Wouldn't you want things to be fair? Shouldn't everyone who's equally qualified for whatever, whether it's a job, a seat at the university, a standard home loan, a workplace promotion, a house in their neighborhood of choice vs. in marginalized neighborhoods, or a decent life generally, have an equal chance to realize that? Where does guilt enter into the desire to have a just and fair society? What is your vision for America? That's all this is about.
White people do not have privilege for being white. People with power have privilege. If being white gave you privilege then my black rapist should have been prosecuted and locked up but instead his cop buddies and pals in the government either looked the other way or actively helped him get away with it. Being white never helped me with anything. And he chose me to rape because I was white and a child. If I were black he would've left me alone.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:53 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post

you are born with sin and now, if you are born white, you are born with sin and some.

what are we getting that is important from perpetuating white guilt ?
I am white and could care less about all this.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:11 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I am white and could care less about all this.
Which is fine, although it doesn't explain why you are reading a thread you have no interest in, as well as responding in a thread you have no interest in.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:19 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Given the standard definitions of guilty "culpable of or responsible for a specified wrongdoing"; "the fact of having committed a specified or implied offence or crime," I would have to say to agree with the OP. I can't feel guilty for things I did not perpetrate myself. Maybe there should be a new word added to the English language along the lines of "feelings of sympathy for others who through no fault of their own are treated less well than oneself." Using the term guilt is a hyperbole, but of course pretty everything is these days.

These proportionality exercises are silly because they cannot address cultural factors that are at their root.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:53 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Why must there be "white guilt" to resolve racism and inequality ?

Is it not possible to empower people without vilifying other people? Isn't that a little ironic ?

"hey, life's not fair, let us make it fair, by playing unfair".

Am I the only white person that is complete exhausted from having this rhetoric everywhere, where I have to now feel guilty for the plight of a group of people when I have my own adversities to overcome, but apparently who cares about my adversity. my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

you are born with sin and now, if you are born white, you are born with sin and some.

I don't think the right word is "guilt". I think it's acknowledgment. Or perhaps affirmation.

My feeling is that many white people do not want to admit that white privilege exists. Justifiably, black people are upset.

WHITE PRIVILEGE is very real. When we attempt to level the playing field through affirmative action, which I fully support, some white people explode with anger. I am not sure why.

White people need to ask themselves if they would EVER want to exchange places with a black person. Become black. And live as they do, with judgement and suspicion, fewer opportunities to build wealth, lack of confidence in law enforcement and neighborhood segregation - which exists ALL over the US - not only in the South.

With that segregation come inferior schools.

I do not think there would be many white people lining up to be black in America.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:19 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,029,608 times
Quote:
Why must there be "white guilt" to resolve racism and inequality ?

Is it not possible to empower people without vilifying other people? Isn't that a little ironic ?

"hey, life's not fair, let us make it fair, by playing unfair".

Am I the only white person that is complete exhausted from having this rhetoric everywhere, where I have to now feel guilty for the plight of a group of people when I have my own adversities to overcome, but apparently who cares about my adversity. my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

With this internet thingy, it's not just limited to your country, since there are many from insular communities, that assume all whites to be guilty, as guilty as those that wear pillow cases over their heads.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:51 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't think the right word is "guilt". I think it's acknowledgment. Or perhaps affirmation.

My feeling is that many white people do not want to admit that white privilege exists. Justifiably, black people are upset.

WHITE PRIVILEGE is very real. When we attempt to level the playing field through affirmative action, which I fully support, some white people explode with anger. I am not sure why.

White people need to ask themselves if they would EVER want to exchange places with a black person. Become black. And live as they do, with judgement and suspicion, fewer opportunities to build wealth, lack of confidence in law enforcement and neighborhood segregation - which exists ALL over the US - not only in the South.

With that segregation come inferior schools.

I do not think there would be many white people lining up to be black in America.
This isnt "white privilege" when Asians would have the same "privilege". What you are talking about is simply in certain situations, black people (not "non-whites", huge difference here) might be discriminated against in encounters with the police etc. Thats not "white privilege". Its also insulting to people who do have experiences of being targeted for being white, whether its bullying in childhood, serious crime or something else. These broadbrushed, generalizing labels serve no good. Regarding affirmative action, its mostly some Asians who have been very vocal against that. I also very rarely hear black people claim they want to be white. Most people in America are perfectly happy with the ethnic group they are.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:51 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Asians have nothing to do with it. They live in a closed community. Crimes are not reported.
You are right to an extent. I know that in Chinatown in San Francisco in the past murders would go unsolved and crimes would not be reported because people would not call the police or admit to seeing any crimes happening. The department had to recruit Chinese officers that spoke Chinese to get the people there to open up.

The problem with your argument is the black community is similar in that they also are reluctant to report crimes and serve as witnesses. Same in the hispanic community where you don't rat people out.

So if anything the white community should have higher than actual reported crime figures than hispanic or black communities than actually occur because there is not cultural bias against reporting crimes and talking to the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.