Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 05:36 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It amazes me that the racial group in control thinks they are suffering so badly.
Who is suffering? The people that don't work hard generally are, or the people that are on drugs. I think the handout thing is counterproductive and creates a group that feels "owed". I think with all the opportunities for minorities with easy college entry, affirmative action and easy job offers because the bar is lowered for minorities to get jobs. White guilt? I hardly think so. What more can owners and upper management give? Geez.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:10 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Quote:
That's one of the better posts in this threads, and I'll tell you why I think so: it shows you are actually thinking.

I'm not going to try to answer it in any way that is about you personally. But I am going to give you a very broad answer.

Yesterday when I was going into a grocery store, a couple of men were handing out little candy bars and raising money for some children's' charity that dealt with special needs. I wasn't paying much attention until one of the men called me by name. We chatted for a bit, and I went on my way. I was impressed because this man was involved in raising funds to help children he would never know, and he and his wife don't have any special needs kids. I also happen to know that this same man delivers meals on wheels to people, none of whom he knows. And he works other charities as well. The point is that he works for these charities which in no way benefits him or his relatives. It is totally selfless. Compare that to mothers at my school (before I retired) who raised funds for gifted children...because their children were gifted. I wouldn't go so far as to say they were selfish, but their charity was not selfless.

None of us can give of ourselves for every good cause. And improving race relations may not be a particular person's "thing", but they do other selfless things for people. That's fine. But there are way too many people who moan and groan (on forums like this, on one side or the other) about race relations that have never done and will never do anything to improve race relationships. They care enough to run their mouths, but they don't care enough to do anything.

I've told this little story in the education sub-forum, but I'll tell it again here. One day I called a teacher in and asked why, when I would look into her math classroom after school, the only kids in that classroom were White kids, even though reviewing her grades showed that those white kids were mostly getting C's and above. Meanwhile a number of Black and Latino students were getting D's and F's, but they never stayed after school. Her response was that for the kids who are staying after she had called their parents and told them they needed to stay for extra help. "Did you call the parents of the Black and Latino kids who are getting D's and F's?" "Well, no, because you know they won't stay." And this was not an isolated incident. You don't make much of a difference if you raise a C student to a B, but you make a heck of a difference if you raise a failing student to a C.

Again, I'm not answering this about you personally.
How do you know that people come here to "run their mouth"? I come here because I want to retire into an area of the Bronx which is only 3.5% white, and am trying to gauge whether that would be safe. The area is somewhat on the upswing economically, so many of my neighbors there are Latino and Black professionals or otherwise gainfully employed (as you are evidently unaware, education and employment are very much within the contemporary mainstream Black culture, not limited to Dr Carson) - they are pleasant, normal neighbors, and their race or mine is thoroughly irrelevant to them or to me. What I worry about are the "minority activists" in the Bronx, who DO run their mouth instead of taking care of their own life so they are not a burden and nuisance to the society, who see any white face in the neighborhood as "taking away Latino and Black culture", so whites should be prevented by any means possible from moving into "their" neighborhoods. Those are the proponents of the idea that white people are automatically guilty ("because of the history"), and owe something/everything to non-whites, including owing them the entire borough of the Bronx. I come on this forum to see how strong such warped ideas actually are, and whether I should scratch the Bronx retirement plan because of them.

Re "selfless giving", my observation is that people give "selflessly" mostly because that boosts their ego, ie, if there is somebody to whom you can give a handout, it clearly allows you to feel superior to that person. Equal standards for everyone, without beggars and givers, are far more respectful to everyone.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:25 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Guilt is a personal issue and perhaps the individual should seek therapy for that.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:32 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Quote:
My point, which you have naturally twisted, was to support another poster who pointed out that you can't take statistics like that and plop them down on top of every person of a particular race, or even a particular neighborhood or community. I pointed out that I have worked with thousands of Blacks, both parents, students, co-workers, and not once had a violent (or even unpleasant) confrontation with any of them. But on the other hand, I face a White parent with a gun once, and another White parent that jumped over the front office counter and roughed up a vice principal. In D.C. (I lived in the burbs) -- so-called "Chocolate City" (by Blacks), I was robbed 3 times...by Whites, never by Blacks.

What you're saying is that you prefer to stereotype. I prefer to look at each individual. To be honest, yes, there were neighborhoods I didn't go into in D.C. (such as most of NE). But I still saw those who lived there as individuals, and if I learned someone was from a bad area of D.C., I didn't not associate with them for that reason.
My law-abiding, hard-working uncle, who immigrated here, was murdered by whites. They are serving life in prison. So people can take their stereotypes and shove them...

Old 10-16-2017, 11:24 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times
Quote:
That's one of the better posts in this threads, and I'll tell you why I think so: it shows you are actually thinking.

I'm not going to try to answer it in any way that is about you personally. But I am going to give you a very broad answer.

Yesterday when I was going into a grocery store, a couple of men were handing out little candy bars and raising money for some children's' charity that dealt with special needs. I wasn't paying much attention until one of the men called me by name. We chatted for a bit, and I went on my way. I was impressed because this man was involved in raising funds to help children he would never know, and he and his wife don't have any special needs kids. I also happen to know that this same man delivers meals on wheels to people, none of whom he knows. And he works other charities as well. The point is that he works for these charities which in no way benefits him or his relatives. It is totally selfless. Compare that to mothers at my school (before I retired) who raised funds for gifted children...because their children were gifted. I wouldn't go so far as to say they were selfish, but their charity was not selfless.

None of us can give of ourselves for every good cause. And improving race relations may not be a particular person's "thing", but they do other selfless things for people. That's fine. But there are way too many people who moan and groan (on forums like this, on one side or the other) about race relations that have never done and will never do anything to improve race relationships. They care enough to run their mouths, but they don't care enough to do anything.

I've told this little story in the education sub-forum, but I'll tell it again here. One day I called a teacher in and asked why, when I would look into her math classroom after school, the only kids in that classroom were White kids, even though reviewing her grades showed that those white kids were mostly getting C's and above. Meanwhile a number of Black and Latino students were getting D's and F's, but they never stayed after school. Her response was that for the kids who are staying after she had called their parents and told them they needed to stay for extra help. "Did you call the parents of the Black and Latino kids who are getting D's and F's?" "Well, no, because you know they won't stay." And this was not an isolated incident. You don't make much of a difference if you raise a C student to a B, but you make a heck of a difference if you raise a failing student to a C.

Again, I'm not answering this about you personally.
Thank you. I’ve read the above several times & I think I’m understanding. I might have to do it several more times to be sure I do. A “very broad response” is fine; it points me in the right direction & the rest is up to me to answer.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:25 AM

35,086 posts, read 17,051,842 times
I'll take a stab at this. Because in the West whites are generally more successful. Asians are successful in Asia and the U.S. as well but without a Biblical tradition they have no doctrinal basis to apologize for that success.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:17 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,797,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'll take a stab at this. Because in the West whites are generally more successful. Asians are successful in Asia and the U.S. as well but without a Biblical tradition they have no doctrinal basis to apologize for that success.
Whites, especially white men, are always accused of privilege because they are paid higher than any other group. But when Asians appear, after a while they wind up being paid higher than white men. But no one ever talks about Asian privilege.

And the reason is the it doesn't fit the narrative the guilt mongers are trying to further.

Asians, apparently, attain the incomes they do through talent and hard work (attributes to which I can personally attest) while whites attain theirs by rigging the system in their favor. But if this is so, why don't they rig it against Asians as well? Why don't they keep Asians out of medical schools and MIT? They keep out other groups so why not keep out Asians as well?

In regards to another post: I worked with a woman, very smart, an environmental engineer of some kind, who wanted to "give back". So she volunteered to tutor "disadvantaged" black kids after school. She gave up after a month because the kids had absolutely no interest. They didn't pay attention, didn't work, and were even abusive to her. (This was in the 90's.)

This is the real problem, or rather symptom of the problem, that persists in black communities. And the problem is the long-ago destruction of the black family, encouraged by government policies. The most important institution a community has for raising children was destroyed. It has never been replaced, with the results we see whenever we drive by these places.

Gangs have taken the place of families as a source of attachment. The "Lord of the Flies" has been elevated from a novel to a prophecy.

I'm aware that poverty is not the normal condition of black Americans and that there are many more successful communities of black Americans than there are poor ones. But in each and every one of the successful communities, I'll bet the black family is present and doing well. In poor ones it is extinct.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:40 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You may not do anything “racist” but you benefit from the history of racist systems that offer you some advantages as you pass through the world.

Hopefully you can also help dismantle and rectify them.
If you are calling on all whites to "dismantle and rectify" the problems of historical racism, will you also call on all blacks to "dismantle and rectify" the current problems in the black community?

Or are black thugs the only ones responsible for black thuggery, but all whites are responsible for historical racism?

Old 10-17-2017, 02:08 PM

66 posts, read 69,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
shame on you
I think that this is the part I can't stand. everyone is so busy working to shame each other. how is shaming other people creating allies to help you solve a problem ?

Old 10-17-2017, 02:20 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,072,839 times
Someone said above, "What is needed is awareness, understanding, and taking responsibility for one's part in a racist system and the perpetuation of racism."

So...what does "taking responsibility for one's part in a racist system and the perpetuation of racism" actually MEAN? What concrete, tangible behavior do you want to see? I think many of us are struggling to know what exactly this type of statement means, what we are supposed to be doing.

Please give CONCRETE examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates