Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 11:04 AM

10,789 posts, read 5,720,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure you can necessarily separate class and race issues in many cases.

No, you are not correct. I am White.
I'm sorry. I must have confused you with another poster.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:06 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,150,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I don't necessarily disagree. But has this actually been quantified? What does the actual data say? Is it really an apples to apples to comparison? Two guys get charged with shoplifting under $100. White guy gets released on recognizance, black guy gets locked up. Or, is it white guy gets released, black guy gets locked up. Racism! But when investigated further, white guy had shoplifting under $100 (and no criminal record), black guy had armed robbery charge (with multiple priors).

I don't know the answer, but I'd be curious to read something authoritative about it.
I don't know that it can be quantified. Most low-grade arrests are processed either in New York City Criminal Courts for various boroughs, or City, Town or Village Justice Courts. Basically you have to go there, and sit and watch the action.

As I said I have had personal experience from a minor couple of scrapes in 1993. My wife and I are happily married, having married in 1991. Her appearance made a huge difference. She was there for all but one of the court appearances, and that one because it was a rare one during working hours.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know that it can be quantified. Most low-grade arrests are processed either in New York City Criminal Courts for various boroughs, or City, Town or Village Justice Courts. Basically you have to go there, and sit and watch the action.

As I said I have had personal experience from a minor couple of scrapes in 1993. My wife and I are happily married, having married in 1991. Her appearance made a huge difference. She was there for all but one of the court appearances, and that one because it was a rare one during working hours.
If it can't be quantified, how do we know it is a problem?

Old 10-18-2017, 11:12 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
So who is saying there needs to be white guilt? If it is there for a few but not everyone...then WHAT exactly are the non-guilty doing? Anything? Anything at all?

If not, then exactly why is that? Yes, then lets figure out if nothing is happening because not enough people feel RESPONSIBLE at ANY kind of level (personal, familial, cultural, humanitarian) on any timeframe (past, present, future).

Yes, if guilt isn't necessary, then what IS in order to see REAL change?

Old 10-18-2017, 11:12 AM

50,982 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
If it can't be quantified, how do we know it is not a problem.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Seriously? The burden of establishing that there is systemic racism in the sentencing of criminals is on those making the claim.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Seriously? The burden of establishing that there is systemic racism in the sentencing of criminals is on those making the claim.
Sorry. That doesn't work. The same logic can be used in either direction. And this sub-forum does not operate on the basis of formal debating rules.

But, I would point you to studies about how drug offense sentencing that are more prevalent in the Black inner city compare to drug offenses more frequently committed by Whites. Crack cocaine versus powdered cocaine being the prime example.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:34 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
Quote:
So true...the status quo always wins out. Deny, never admit guilt, just let the other guy keep punching until he's tired out...that's how you make sure nothing ever changes.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So true...the status quo always wins out. Deny, never admit guilt, just let the other guy keep punching until he's tired out...that's how you make sure nothing ever changes.
Exactly. The only problem for those people is that another group of people today -- younger and often more educated Blacks -- aren't willing to know their place. Change occurs.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:51 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,150,610 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

This one is hard to quantify. What someone needs to do, unfortunately, is sit for hours in these courts. I have, during my self-employment period, spent a lot of time in justice courts. My statistics are from watching.

In one appearance, in a justice court in Dutchess County (that is all I will identify) I watched high bail being set for a white defendant who himself was a prominent attorney on a drunk driving charge. The judge said "I find it telling that your wife isn't here to drive you home." The judge in question was white and Jewish. I don't think this defendant was alone. Judges want a support system in place if they release a defendant pending trial, whether on recognizance or a nominal bail.

Last edited by jbgusa; 10-18-2017 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.