Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:32 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
All defense attorneys go after the accuser. This is nothing new, and they all use dirty tactics, which is also nothing new, no matter what the case is about.

Not saying it's right, but a defense attorney will use every tactic in the book to ensure a not guilty verdict.
That may be true, but it certainly is a factor relating to why sexual assaults still are so underreported. Sure it's "legal tactics", but having a defense attorney throw out slurs against you so in open court so that they can try and get their client off is incredibly damaging. Unless you've been through it personally, you have NO idea how much even the idea of being in court can frighten a woman and make her think twice about reporting an assault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 04:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If they were ALL reported, that's all that would be talked about.

A math teacher when I was in 7th grade was hitting on the girls. Should we all have reported him and if we did, what would have happened....
I've seen that but it's difficult to prove he did anything wrong and teachers Union and schools protect the teacher since good teachers are hard to find. It's easier for prosecutors to fault the accuser if the story doesn't add up unless you have hard facts or personal attorney.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:03 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've seen that but it's difficult to prove he did anything wrong and teachers Union and schools protect the teacher since good teachers are hard to find. It's easier for prosecutors to fault the accuser if the story doesn't add up unless you have hard facts or personal attorney.
The role of the prosecutor isn't to attack the accuser. (They're supposed to be on the plaintiff's side). Why would they prosecute if they didn't think they had a case, or think the accuser is lying? That's just dumb. Your personal attorney can't bring charges or prosecute anyone. If anyone is going to try and discredit you it's the defense attorney.
The only part you got right was the he said, she said in the case of no concrete evidence.

Last edited by Sydney123; 10-19-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Why do people assume rape is the only crime that is under-reported?

Why do people assume that victims of other crimes also do not want to come forward and press charges and deal with an interrogation on the stand?

Old 10-19-2017, 05:27 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Quote:

Why do people assume that victims of other crimes also do not want to come forward and press charges and deal with an interrogation on the stand?
Oh, oh, oh... I know the answer! It's because the topic of this particular thread is about sexual assault.

Now... what do I win?

Old 10-19-2017, 06:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Your responses are the reason that the #metoo campaign exists. What I said, and you quoted, was that the #metoo campaign isn't meant just for women who were raped. It's meant for women who have been raped, assaulted, harassed and otherwise mistreated based solely on their gender. I didn't invent the campaign, I'm just telling you what it's intentions were.

The CDC says 1 in 4/5 women are raped. You can disagree with them all you want, but here are their sources:

https://www.cdc.gov/violencepreventi...tasources.html
Thanks CarnivalGal - I tried to give the same statistic but I think Venice guy must have put me on "ignore". Watch out - he does that to his best/worst adversaries!

Old 10-19-2017, 06:23 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm pretty sure all men experience harassment of the sort that women experience, as well.

No, most women are NOT raped.
As a man I have to ask if your being sarcastic. Hell no we don't experirnce the amount of harassment women do.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:23 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Women should take some responsibility for their action for their own good. It isn't victim blaming, it's common sense. Even as a guy I don't take unnecessary risks such as carrying a lot of cash on me or walk around certain neighborhoods at certain time of the night. It's a different world today, there are a lot more sickos out there than it before. A lot of sickos are people that you meet in school or at workplaces that are difficult to spot unless you know their history or background.

This is why there is a school rape culture right now because a lot of females thinks they should not be afraid of being out at night or with someone alone or drinking. Yes, nobody should take advantage of a woman while intoxicated but as a guy there are way too many guys that thinks otherwise. I know many men with all kinds of backgrunds and they exclusively look for girls that are intoxicated near colleges. I even knew guys who shared his rape story about drugging girls. He doesn't think it's a crime because he didn't kill anyone or force himself.

You can prevent this by being careful and have people you trust go out with you, such as having a trust worthy friend of the opposite sex. I don't think going out with a bunch of girlfriends do any good since they will be looking out for themselves.
And did you ever speak up during these conversations...since "nobody should take advantage of a woman while intoxicated"?

Old 10-19-2017, 09:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:

Your agenda regarding this topic is concerning.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:56 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Your agenda regarding this topic is concerning.
It is strange. it's pretty well known that sexual assaults are extremely underreported. I'd say hardly a female goes by unscathed in life one way or another. but probably at least half experience a version of rape (much more than a lewd comment or a butt grab). Why would anyone want to downplay this?
Obviously I don't have hard numbers but a study or survey wouldn't either... because so many won't admit to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates