Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,444 times

Advertisements

I really dislike paperwork. #1 reason.
Unless I was beaten to where I needed medical attention I never reported it. And most assaults are little violence and just the threat of it. My heart feels for the women that were beaten and that needs to be reported but she probably doesn't want to think about it. This is how many deal. Compartmentalize.
It is expensive to take off from work or I was too young to even know what happened was bad. Most women are troopers and carry on. Please remember all the actresses coming forward (in the beginning - now all ages) were no longer starring role age. Nobody said a word about Harvey until they were too old to be his starlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 06:06 AM

137 posts, read 134,439 times
I know from my own personal experience (being groped on an elevator) that when I spoke up, the people that I should've been able to trust and rely on tried to portray me as a liar. I was discussed during a meeting that I overheard and the consensus was that my story didn't sound true even though the incident was actually recorded on a security camera. That experience has made me more reluctant to come forward again. I know others who won't speak out because of fear that no one will believe them.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How are they defining rape?

You need to see the questionnaire/survey that was given to participants in order to come up with that number.

Some surveys claim kissing is rape. Which distorts the numbers and again, does a disservice to women who have been raped.
Yes, I think this definitely needs to be addressed, not just in regard to what rape truly is, but sex crimes in general. I saw a local article recently about a high school teacher being caught in a sexual relationship with a female student, I believe it said she was 16 or 17, and he was in his early 30s. The comments below it were shocking to me, hundreds of people calling him a child molester and pedophile, and many expressing the terrible torture they want him to go thru before being executed!!!

People have really gone off the deep end on these things, It was definitely wrong on his part, I wouldnt classify that as 'child molestation' for gods sake, or using the term pedophile, that is a classification for someone who has a desire for the VERY YOUNG, not a 16-17 yr old. LOL

Another article, a man who had slapped a female coworker on the butt, was called a rapist pervert..Cmon, rapist?

Its things like this that are eroding the seriousness of real child molestation, real rape, etc. and I have a feeling that is not a coincidence either.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
When I reported it the police treated me as if I was asking for it.
College girl in a college town...naive...had a halter top on....oooo bad me.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:49 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Thanks CarnivalGal - I tried to give the same statistic but I think Venice guy must have put me on "ignore". Watch out - he does that to his best/worst adversaries!
For one thing, I'm female. If you truly read my posts you would know that. Also, I have no adversaries. It's an anonymous forum. It's not a war. Sorry I deal in facts. Not in emotions. Not in myths. Not in made up crap so charities can get money.

And for another, I completely researched the statistic from the primary source document, by following the trail of references. It makes no sense in the context of the other "data" collected for that survey, and in fact the source document for that 1 in 5 statistic, also had a 1 in 17 statistic as well as a 1 in 100 statistic. So which is it?

And I included the link to the source document so you could, I dunno, GO LOOK FOR YOURSELVES????

But, yeah, I *ignored* it. /facepalm/.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, I think this definitely needs to be addressed, not just in regard to what rape truly is, but sex crimes in general. I saw a local article recently about a high school teacher being caught in a sexual relationship with a female student, I believe it said she was 16 or 17, and he was in his early 30s. The comments below it were shocking to me, hundreds of people calling him a child molester and pedophile, and many expressing the terrible torture they want him to go thru before being executed!!!

People have really gone off the deep end on these things, It was definitely wrong on his part, I wouldnt classify that as 'child molestation' for gods sake, or using the term pedophile, that is a classification for someone who has a desire for the VERY YOUNG, not a 16-17 yr old. LOL

Another article, a man who had slapped a female coworker on the butt, was called a rapist pervert..Cmon, rapist?

Its things like this that are eroding the seriousness of real child molestation, real rape, etc. and I have a feeling that is not a coincidence either.
Exactly. And it literally brainwashes women in fear that ALL men are rapists. Which is not true. I remember the Take Back the Night vigils. And I bought it hook, line and sinker. As I got older and looked around, I know something was off. So I researched, and I realized it was all cleverly crafted. It simply wasn't true. No matter how loud you yell something, it doesn't make it true. Are women raped? Yes. Are 1 in 3/4/5/? Nope.

But those who believe those stats never bother to investigate how the numbers are crunched, what types of questions are asked, how the questions are phrased and what the definitions of rape and sexual assault are. I did only 10 minutes of research and found discrepanacies.

Never let facts get in the way. It's unfortunate.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:39 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I love this quote. "We talk about how many women were raped last year, not about how many men raped women. We talk about how many girls in a school district were harassed last year, not about how many boys harassed girls. We talk about how many girls in the state of Vermont got pregnant last year, rather than how many men or boys impregnated teenage girls. So you can see how the use of the passive voice has a political effect. (It) shifts the focus off of men and boys and onto girls and women. Even the term 'violence against women' is problematic. It's a passive construction; there's no active agent in the sentence. It's a bad thing that happens to women, but when you look at that term, 'violence against women," nobody is doing it to them. It just happens to them. Men aren't even a part of it." -Jackson Katz
wow, may I borrow this. I'm going to definitely use it.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:42 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why do people assume rape is the only crime that is under-reported?

Why do people assume that victims of other crimes also do not want to come forward and press charges and deal with an interrogation on the stand?
I don't assume rape is the only crime under reported. this thread is about rape simply because it's in the news right at this moment with high profile people.

Start another thread if there are other crimes under-reported.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
wow, may I borrow this. I'm going to definitely use it.
If it were male focused, all the assistance would be targeted to the rapist, not the women.How many women would call a "Hotline for Male Rapists" How many would donate money to help "Male Rapists"?

There's a reason it's marketed and focused on women. Because that is the demo.

How else would you describe it without using the word "women"?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The role of the prosecutor isn't to attack the accuser. (They're supposed to be on the plaintiff's side). Why would they prosecute if they didn't think they had a case, or think the accuser is lying? That's just dumb. Your personal attorney can't bring charges or prosecute anyone. If anyone is going to try and discredit you it's the defense attorney.
The only part you got right was the he said, she said in the case of no concrete evidence.
Agreed, but that's not how the real world works. A Prosecutor see these cases all the time, they're not looking out for your best interest or justice. They are looking for quick work, if they can discredit the accuser easily then they rather not see the case goes to trial. They got bigger fish to fry. Now, the only way to win is to have your own attorney and then have the case reviewed to put enough pressure on the prosecutor to act. How many women follow through with this??

Rose McGowen did and she got paid $150k and now she hitting back against Weinstein again. Typically when you settle a case you're not supposed to have anything to do with the defendant anymore but she's using this spotlight because she knows Weinstein doesn't dare to shut her up right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And did you ever speak up during these conversations...since "nobody should take advantage of a woman while intoxicated"?
I do watch my friends' back that's all I can do. I'm not gonna play daddy by telling other girls how to behave or how other guys should treat women. A lot of females do the most provocative and silly things when they drink in front of males to get attention. When they do that, they attract nothing but jerks.

I was dating a girl on and off for awhile and I never made any moves on her but one day she told me that she wants to go to a club nearby and I took her there, she started drinking and I could not believe the way she acted once she had a few drinks. Now I took her back home while she was still intoxicated. When we reached her apt, she told me to come in and obviously she was in the mood so we ended up sleeping together. When she got sober, she could not believe that we just slept together she didn't plan to do that. She didn't blame me but she told me next day that she want to be left alone and think about it.

The point I want to make is that often women make poor judgements when they drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates