Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:51 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times

Advertisements

Conspiracy theorists and people who refuse to believe scientific evidence will continue to just stick their fingers in their ears.

Also, if you think 2100 is the earliest anything is going to happen you just haven't kept up. Climate change is happening now.

You can either educate yourself or stick your head in the sand with right/left nonsense. It doesn't matter because it's going to affect you anyway and sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 03:06 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
There are natural heating and cooling cycles on earth that have been happening over millions of years before man even thought about lighting a fire.
There is no doubt that humans are polluting the atmosphere and possibly accelerating the warming process but for every sad scene that the scientists show us of melted glaciers there are other places that have big build ups of ice that they do not show.
Didn't a bunch of Penguins die in at the South pole a few weeks back because they had to walk so much further to get to the sea to go fishing? We didn't hear much about that but boy those strong hurricanes that hit were all the evidence that was needed to push the global warming agenda.

Don't forget the alarmist Al Gore. He told us in 2006 through his movie "an inconvenient truth" that by now the Polar bears would be extinct and parts of Miami would be underwater. Well that didn't happen. It must be why he came out with part 2 of his movie....
Then again he is one of the hypocrites that tell us what we need to do yet he takes his private jet all over the world? Maybe that jet runs on french fry oil?

What bugs me the most is how we have people that are so far to the Left or so far to the Right on this issue. Luckily most of us are some where in the middle and do what we can to save the planet.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:18 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

What bugs me the most is how we have people that are so far to the Left or so far to the Right on this issue. Luckily most of us are some where in the middle and do what we can to save the planet.
Don't you think it odd that a matter of science should be so obviously in dispute according to political point of view?

That's because it's not a matter of science, but strictly one of politics. The entire argument of the "Warmists" is based on computer models which don't even include solar activity or cloud cover in their considerations. All artwork.

EVERY prediction made by The AGW Theory has proven to be wrong. The only value a theory has is its ability to predict. That makes it a pretty useless theory.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/...e-predictions/

Old 10-30-2017, 06:15 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Meteorology majors don't make a particularly large amount of money, and a lot of them end up as TV weather(wo)men in small markets. And to make matters worse, weather is one issue that the slowest mind at the back of the bar can form an opinion about; (some of the yokels are so dense that they actually think the forecast can affect the actual outcome -- believe me, I've seen this). So the "I'm one'a youse guys" types carry more weight than the professionals who try to stick to the facts.

But having pointed this out, i'll also say that just about every weather broadcast I know of provides a great set of tools -- radar can't lie, and a basic college course in Meteo (the large state universities sometimes denigrated as "cow colleges" usually offer one, designed as an elective for non-science majors -- Aggies in particular) allows you to make a more educated conclusion.

But if you're going to dumb things down in order to relate to Uncle Fudd and Aunt Minnie, and throw in a politically-driven agenda, don't take offense when you're not taken too seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkingliberal View Post
The Republican opposition to climate change mitigation focuses on the so-called costs to business, as if making businesses maximally profitable at any social cost should be the sole aim of society. I remember them saying in the 70s that there was no such thing as air and water pollution, for the same reason.

The tragedy is that when we finally wrest power from these fools, climate change may be irreversible.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" (John Dahlberg-Acton)

So you want to form and fund another huge bureaucracy, when you haven't yet defined the problem well enough to figure out what to do about it??

Thank you, Exhibit 'A'.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-30-2017 at 06:33 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 06:27 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Q: Why do people whine about the media instead of addressing the issue of climate change?

A: The propaganda of attacking the messenger is more effective than substance.

With all due respect, the notion that because climate naturally varies over time then all climate variation over time must be natural is the sort of 'logic' that should embarrass the average 8th-grader, because the existence of natural climate variation hardly precludes human-caused climate variation.

Think about it. Death is natural, yet we aren't so clueless as to run around insisting that because death is frequently due to natural causes, that all death must be so.

More specifically, a useful analogy is lung cancer. Its leading cause is smoking but it has other causes - some natural. There is radon from the soil. Some are due to genetic pre-disposition. Particulates from natural fires (such as forest fires) can cause or contribute to lung cancer. Now, remember back before the wave of settlements with Big Tobacco, when the tobacco companies were still insisting that smoking did not cause lung cancer? Remember that? They were, in part, using the exact same logic.

"Hey, people who have never had a puff get lung cancer! That proves what hogwash this whole smoking causes lung cancer is!"

Remember that? Well, if you're one of the people buying the climate-change-is-a-big-hoax! absurdity, bear in mind that those who were buying Big Tobacco's siren song were applying the exact same 'logic'. Look in the mirror. You're this era's equivalent of them.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:10 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There are natural heating and cooling cycles on earth that have been happening over millions of years before man even thought about lighting a fire.
Yes, but they don't and can't explain conditions over the pat 200 years. This is something different. Adapt or die. Those are the choices.

As for tobacco, there were and are many lifelong smokers who never developed lung cancer. There are also many people dying today of lung cancer who never smoked at all. It is a human ability to jump from such facts to completely unwareanted conclusions that made the tobacco company propaganda so successful for so long. And we can see the very same thing today on any FOX News broadcast.

Last edited by 17thAndK; 10-31-2017 at 07:26 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 07:33 AM

653 posts, read 816,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkingliberal View Post
Politicizing climate change--which conservatives routinely do--is grossly stupid and irresponsible. We're ALL being affected, and right now, not in 2100. The concept is so simple, a child could understand it.

The Republican opposition to climate change mitigation focuses on the so-called costs to business, as if making businesses maximally profitable at any social cost should be the sole aim of society. I remember them saying in the 70s that there was no such thing as air and water pollution, for the same reason.

The tragedy is that when we finally wrest power from these fools, climate change may be irreversible.
Conservatives dont politicize climate change, liberals did. Dont be so naive

Old 10-31-2017, 08:11 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post

........ Why in the heck are they freaking about what's going to happen in 2100 when the vast majority of us alive now will be long dead and gone?

....... Let the folks in 2100 deal with their own problems...lol.

It's really simple. People are freaking out about our problems that we'll be leaving as our legacy to our offspring to inherit from us and deal with. Yes, the folks in 2100 will have to deal with our problems which will become their own problems. You apparently don't care about that and think it's a laughing matter (since you will be dead), but is it really fair to them for us to carelessly and knowingly make more problems of our own for them to deal with?

I have no objections to the media harping about climate change if their harping will encourage more negligent and selfish people today to develop a conscience and accept more responsibility about it instead of trying to pass the buck on to their inheritors in 2100.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Conspiracy theorists and people who refuse to believe scientific evidence will continue to just stick their fingers in their ears.

Also, if you think 2100 is the earliest anything is going to happen you just haven't kept up. Climate change is happening now.

You can either educate yourself or stick your head in the sand with right/left nonsense. It doesn't matter because it's going to affect you anyway and sooner rather than later.
Im in my early 40s, weather and climate around my area are about the same as when I was a child, no real noticeable differences I can think of, so...?

Old 11-01-2017, 09:41 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im in my early 40s, weather and climate around my area are about the same as when I was a child, no real noticeable differences I can think of, so...?
So .....? What is your area?

Tell us where you live and probably somebody can tell you what the noticeable differences are that you haven't been noticing for the past 40 years.

Just because you haven't noticed them doesn't mean they aren't happening at your location, it just means you haven't been noticing. And maybe you don't know what to look for.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates