Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 12:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If all guns were banned, granny would be at the mercy of people who don't care about laws. The only people this would help are the criminals.
Personally, I'd trust the police far more than some moron with his concealed gun. I'll take my chances with a gun ban...

Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Ha!! Oh, the good excuse--antique guns. What a joke. Those are not the problem and you know it.
Previous poster specifically said less guns = less gun deaths. Please try to pay attention.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:41 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Personally, I'd trust the police far more than some moron with his concealed gun. I'll take my chances with a gun ban...
They say it takes a moron to know one. Your post proves that. Your post makes absolutely no sense unless all homes have a police guard on duty. It is my experience the police come to fill out the paperwork after the crime is committed. I prefer them filling out paperwork about the misfortune of the one who breaks in rather than to tell about my misfortune. I will do everything in my power to make sure our guns are never banned. I am a granny and a gun is a good common denominator.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,540 times
Parents wont have to bury their sons or daughters, but hey thats no fun, remember be the first one on your block to have your kid come home in a box!!!

Old 02-20-2018, 01:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
The AR-15 and similar models including rocks and sharp sticks should be out-lawed. I realize there are probably tens of millions of these unnecessary guns in the US, but a law could prevent any more from being manufactured in the US and sold legally. Really, anyone who has one of these AR-15's is just a guy short on testosterone and trying to make up for it.Because he could get a different gun that does not say AR on it but still does the exact same thing, maybe lightly less efficiently

I fixed the quote above.

Earlier this year a rash of teens throwing rocks, lawn furniture, barbeques etc off of freeway overpasses killed several people in various states. A kid hacked up his family with an amime costume sword. Over 3000 people were killed by cars, many of those were actually killed by the texting on cell phones. About the same number were killed by heroine overdoses. Horses killed 8 people. 6 ice fishermen drowned. Five or six airplanes crashed killing hundreds of people in total. 19 children drowned in swimming pools and bathtubs. Cigarettes killed thousands. Alcohol addiction killed hundreds if not thousands. One man was beaten to death by an old lady with a cane.

All of these things should be banned if we care about these people at all. If someone kills someone with a thing, or the thing otherwise causes the death of someone, we need to ban that thing or we have no compassion.

Illegal guns killed over a hundred people, many of them kids. We need to ban illegal guns. Also need to ban zip guns and pipe bombs. And switchblades, because switchblades kill more people than other kinds of knives.

And fire - we must ban fire. Fire gets used a lot to kill people.

Also cleaning supplies. Cleaning supplies are used to make bombs and toxic gas to kill people. Oh and fertilizer and diesel fuel or kerosene. Probably ought to ban gasoline and soda bottles while we are at it. Molotov cocktails are rarely used anymore, but they will come back was we ban the other things people can use to kill other people.

The good old Mashie Niblick also must go as well. Oops and rope. Rope is definitely out, duct tape too.

oops pillows. Forgot about pillows.

We have a lot of things to outlaw if we are going to focus on the items that are used to kill people rather than the desire and willingness to kill people. We had better get going.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-20-2018 at 01:26 PM..

Old 02-20-2018, 01:24 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
First, the 2nd is not responsible for "senseless killings", criminals are. Last, one doesn't have to own firearms to join the NRA.
And you don't have to join the NRA if you have a gun. Or 3. Or 30.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:39 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Default What do you think the outcome would be of a total gun ban?

Probably mass noncompliance and lots of people pointing and laughing at the ineptitude of the government. The police would be completely powerless to enforce such a law; they wouldn't be able to build prison camps large enough to incarcerate 100+ million people. or landfills big enough to smash and bury 300 million guns anyway.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
In areas where guns are not so common, they use bombs to kill people. Just think suicide vest, if you want an example. Bombings to mass kill people, have happened not only in other countries but also in the USA.

And explosives are not hard to get hold of, and if no commercial bombing materials are around, anyone can make explosives. When I was a teen age kid, we learned how in Chemistry Class 70 years ago. I made some out at our ranch, to see how easy it was. Black Powder was what I made. We had sulfur to use to improve land. We had some huge redwood stumps, that had been set on fire years ago. I scratched off a bunch of charcoal (or you can buy pure charcoal to use with your bar-b-que grill). The third ingredient I bought at the drug store over the counter. Worked perfect, when I tested it. Go down to your grocery store, hardware store or whoever sells propane tanks for use with grills, etc. One canister and you have the makings of one great bomb. A gallon can of gasoline can be made into a bomb, and it is equal to 1,500 pounds of dynamite or so when mixed with air, as I was taught in the Navy, when we were taught to handle gas in large containers.

Guns are not the only things used to mass kill people in the USA. Bombs, Crash into a crowd with a vehicle at reasonably high speed, nail he doors shut, and set a building on fire, etc., etc., etc. Getting rid of all the guns, would just mean going to another type of killing machine.

Just a few of the Bombings in USA.

History of bombings in the US, including famous attempts that failed since the late 1800s | Fox News

And guns are not the most lethal method to mass murder people

Aurora Shooting: How did people commit mass murder before automatic weapons?

Take away the guns from everyone in the USA, and mass murder is not going to go away.

And people even make guns at home.

https://gizmodo.com/its-becoming-fri...uns-1819076070

https://www.wired.com/story/ghost-gu...able-handguns/

Old 02-20-2018, 02:20 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
People will stop blaming guns for evil when they come to realize the real problem is in the hearts of man. Guns can be used to save lives.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:48 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Disarming Argument
- - - “But it’s for the Children!” - - -
Abolishing liberty to prevent crime is like giving a month’s supply of contraceptives to a pregnant woman.
Or you might say:
Preventing crime by abolishing liberty is like giving a month’s supply of contraceptives to a pregnant woman.

It does nothing to stop the criminals, but gives the impression that “something is being done about it!”

9 out of 10 predators prefer disarmed and helpless prey.
1 out of 10 is batsh!t crazy and likes a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates