Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 11:01 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

I think there are a lot of people, tens of thousands, who would never level a gun at another human being outside of self-defense.

With one exception. If someone came to take their guns by force.

Now, you may not care about such a person, whether they lived or died, because you believe anyone that would want to own a gun forfeits their right to live.

But to take these unrepentant gun owners ("gun nuts") out would require militarizing our police forces or mobilizing our military against citizens on a large scale. Resulting not only in neighborhood shoot outs by martial forces, but an entrenched militarized police in every state.

Enjoy your totalitarian dystopia.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think there are a lot of people, tens of thousands, who would never level a gun at another human being outside of self-defense.

With one exception. If someone came to take their guns by force.

Now, you may not care about such a person, whether they lived or died, because you believe anyone that would want to own a gun forfeits their right to live.

But to take these unrepentant gun owners ("gun nuts") out would require militarizing our police forces or mobilizing our military against citizens on a large scale. Resulting not only in neighborhood shoot outs by martial forces, but an entrenched militarized police in every state.

Enjoy your totalitarian dystopia.
Im not totally sure many law abiding gun owners would stand up and fight back if Govt ever tried to take their guns, I would like to believe most would, but in reality, I think majority would whine and cry a little bit, but ultimately sit down and obey.

IF they did not, it would turn every city into a war zone, no one would be going to work, or going shopping, days would be spent in gun battles with local police and eventually military...people are just not that patriotic in these days to allow this to happen imo.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:10 PM

586 posts, read 314,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
If their oaths are to the Constitution and the Constitution is changed, then they will accept the changes because that will be the will of the people and part of the Constitution.
The Second Amendment doesn't grant a right, it affirms it. No matter what happens, that right continues to exist.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:26 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The problem is that poster thinks they know what's best when in fact they are armed with no knowledge. What you said throws their idea of how many ar15s exist out the window. They also have no understanding of the functionality of an ar15 so the logic of isolating it from other rifles makes no sense.
Alas they just like to make statements because they want to seem like they have the answer when it fact they are just like a parrot that repeats what it hears with no comprehension of the meaning.
You don't need a garage , I built several in my living room while watching tv.
Me too. I have a special light colored blanket to spread out so I can find those darn lil springs that like to shoot off into space.

People just don't have any idea how many millions are out there and being added to daily. Especially those with no paperwork. You can't find what you don't know exists.

Plus, the last bans were jokes. It didn't slow me down buying what they keep insisting are assault rifles. The ban was in an idea only.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:43 PM

857 posts, read 959,396 times
I think there will be Civil War II.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:50 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
There would be noncompliance and the police wouldn't take action unless the gun was brought out of the house.

I'm a liberal. The second amendment guarantees the first and the other eight in the bill of rights.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:31 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
If their oaths are to the Constitution and the Constitution is changed, then they will accept the changes because that will be the will of the people and part of the Constitution.
No, we won't. It would be considered an unacceptable subversion of the Constitution that we swore to defend, the Second American Revolution would kick off.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:39 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
No, we won't. It would be considered an unacceptable subversion of the Constitution that we swore to defend, the Second American Revolution would kick off.
They just don't get it. They don't see America the same way we do so they can't comprehend the moral conviction gun owners have on this issue.

In a side note....I think law enforcement in many areas would refuse to carry out confiscation. They and their families live in the communities, they would not want to become targets. And in many ways, many cops would be sympathetic. The good cops value and appreciate the constitution and support individuals owning guns if they choose to.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:40 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
There would be noncompliance and the police wouldn't take action unless the gun was brought out of the house.

I'm a liberal. The second amendment guarantees the first and the other eight in the bill of rights.
You must be a classical liberal, you sure don't sound like one of these modern pseudo-communist progressives.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:54 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not totally sure many law abiding gun owners would stand up and fight back if Govt ever tried to take their guns, I would like to believe most would, but in reality, I think majority would whine and cry a little bit, but ultimately sit down and obey.

IF they did not, it would turn every city into a war zone, no one would be going to work, or going shopping, days would be spent in gun battles with local police and eventually military...people are just not that patriotic in these days to allow this to happen imo.
Sure they are, especially the great numbers of us who have served. As far as battles with the military, many current Active Duty, National Guard and Reservists would side with the Prior Service and civilians. They would abscond with as many weapons of all types, and explosives and ammo as they could obtain. Local and state law enforcement who did not side with the revolution, or at least abandon their weapons and refuse to participate would be rapidly decimated. Federal agencies would soon be overwhelmed. State Houses/Capitols would be assaulted, elected officials would be removed from their positions by force. Ideally, new elections would soon be held, and the Democratic Republic would be restored to that which it was intended to be. The 'best case' scenario would come to a conclusion in a relatively short amount of time, perhaps a matter of months. The 'worst case' scenario would be grim, very grim indeed...let us hope it never comes to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates