Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No, non-Hispanic, non-Jewish whites are still about 63% of the population but only about 25-30% admitted to ivy league, so they are severely underrepresented in colleges they founded.
He corrected me to say he was talking about white Protestants only.

As to the overall situation, the number of white students at the Ivy's is holding up well. They've lost ground to Asians, but not to blacks or Hispanics.

See the charts below:

Even With Affirmative Action, Blacks and Hispanics Are More Underrepresented at Top Colleges Than 35 Years Ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatico View Post
What is your point? Private or not, the NBA, whatever their recruitment tactics may be, cannot legally exclude any person from any position within their organization based strictly on race.
Haven't heard of the NBA doing that since they started accepting black players back in the 1950s. 97% of the owners remain white, but it is legally permissible for non-whites to join the club if they have an extra billion or so laying around.

Quote:
Legally, there's nothing wrong with 'trying to bring in a few minorities', but that isn't the extent of what they're doing. They have stated specifically that this Student Affairs position is only available to non-whites. They are excluding whites from the position. They are discriminating against white people strictly on the basis of race. How can you defend this?
The college is trying to recruit a minority person for one position. Everybody else in authority -- the President, all the Vice Presidents, all the Deans and 98% of the Board of Governors -- remains white. Attempting to hire one non-white amid this universe of whiteness doesn't seem like it's discriminating against whites. Bear in mind that they are a state-supported institution with funding that comes from non-whites as well as whites.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:38 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Quote:
Dalhousie only seeking racially visible, Indigenous candidates for senior job - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Dalhousie University in Canada is openly stating that a vice-provost student affairs position "will be restricted to racially visible persons and Aboriginal peoples at this time".

Apparently, "Student Affairs" has become a racial matter. This is my favorite part:

"Walsh said this approach is still about hiring the most qualified people.

"From my perspective, there isn't a merit argument that runs counter to this. In fact, this actually is the way for us to develop the most meritorious faculty and staff population," she said."

In other words, it isn't possible for anyone who is white to be the most qualified person for the position. By virtue of nothing more than being white, one is automatically unqualified, no matter their skills or experience. Further, considering race above all else is the approach that will give the most meritorious faculty and staff.

So, this is where we stand in 2018. White people are no longer eligible for certain positions of authority or influence in their own country, the one they built. Does anyone else see a problem with this?
I'm fairly certain the enslaved people that actually did the work of building houses and commercial buildings along with actually planting and harvesting cotton, tobacco and sugar might think they had a hand in building this country.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:00 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
I am a white woman classified as a senior citizen and although I am healthy and would like to have full time employment I am in favor of any class of citizens to advance their lives through, at the very least, the opportunity to do so.

Opportunity is all anyone should be afforded and if diversity and opportunity offends then one should keep looking for their chance to be the 'best candidate' for any particular position.

I suppose now I officially have an 'agenda' if indeed an opinion counts as such.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:46 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It shouldn't be ANYBODY'S turn! Get your minds off of some mis-guided sense of vengeance, you will only make things worse.

Say blacks in particular get ahead by openly discriminating against whites. Say whites go, en mass, destitute and abused, perhaps even killed for their color.

What do you think will happen in the future? Blacks will be the villain. It's just going to perpetuate a vicious cycle of violence and greed and hatred. STOP NOW.

Don't believe me? African countries held European slaves long before Europe had developed. During and before Roman times. The pendulum has swung back and forth for centuries.

Stop the damned pendulum. Grow up. Get your mind off of vengeance and onto unity.
Frankly, your posts don't have a tone that is very "unity" oriented. It's more like my group doesn't want to be discriminated against. Perhaps you could share with us some things you have done to promote racial unity.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:23 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Frankly, your posts don't have a tone that is very "unity" oriented. It's more like my group doesn't want to be discriminated against. Perhaps you could share with us some things you have done to promote racial unity.
You're not paying attention, then.

What have I done? I've never treated somebody poorly because of their color. Never have, never will. That's the most somebody in my position can do, really. I don't own a business and I don't have much money. So I offer what I can, which is simply to treat everybody as an individual.

I also promote the message that you refuse to internalize. One that, sadly, I suspect that if I were black you'd actually listen to.

You've really done nothing other than make yourself look bad.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:55 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It shouldn't be ANYBODY'S turn! Get your minds off of some mis-guided sense of vengeance, you will only make things worse.

Say blacks in particular get ahead by openly discriminating against whites. Say whites go, en mass, destitute and abused, perhaps even killed for their color.

What do you think will happen in the future? Blacks will be the villain. It's just going to perpetuate a vicious cycle of violence and greed and hatred. STOP NOW.

Don't believe me? African countries held European slaves long before Europe had developed. During and before Roman times. The pendulum has swung back and forth for centuries.

Stop the damned pendulum. Grow up. Get your mind off of vengeance and onto unity.

Exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Pretty easy to dispute. The Ivy Leagues schools are still, on average, 45-55 percent white. The largest minority grouping all of these schools are Asians.
"White" by what measure? If you consider Semites white I'm sure your number might be a little closer to what you're posting here. Otherwise (as we suspect) it's incredibly disingenuous.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Dalhousie only seeking racially visible, Indigenous candidates for senior job - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Dalhousie University in Canada is openly stating that a vice-provost student affairs position "will be restricted to racially visible persons and Aboriginal peoples at this time".

Apparently, "Student Affairs" has become a racial matter. This is my favorite part:

"Walsh said this approach is still about hiring the most qualified people.

"From my perspective, there isn't a merit argument that runs counter to this. In fact, this actually is the way for us to develop the most meritorious faculty and staff population," she said."

In other words, it isn't possible for anyone who is white to be the most qualified person for the position. By virtue of nothing more than being white, one is automatically unqualified, no matter their skills or experience. Further, considering race above all else is the approach that will give the most meritorious faculty and staff.

So, this is where we stand in 2018. White people are no longer eligible for certain positions of authority or influence in their own country, the one they built. Does anyone else see a problem with this?
Things like this always make me wonder about people who look on events in past history and say something along the lines of How could people as a society could have done something like that? and then not realize that some generations down the line someone will look at that own person's society and say the same thing.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM

863 posts, read 795,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Exactly right.

"White" by what measure? If you consider Semites white I'm sure your number might be a little closer to what you're posting here. Otherwise (as we suspect) it's incredibly disingenuous.
I only go by the statistics that the schools themselves publish. I didn't see anything that broke down white's into various categories. If that is the "level" of scrutiny we are now down too, this country is doomed.

You're a Jew, therefore you are not white, hmm, where have we heard that before.

And I am a white, heterosexual male, retire from the US Army. I have no agenda, other than concern for the welfare of my country.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
I only go by the statistics that the schools themselves publish. I didn't see anything that broke down white's into various categories. If that is the "level" of scrutiny we are now down too, this country is doomed.

You're a Jew, therefore you are not white, hmm, where have we heard that before.

And I am a white, heterosexual male, retire from the US Army. I have no agenda.

The schools themselves are covering their own hides.

Wiki:

Quote:
Genetic studies indicate that modern Jews (Ashkenazi, Sephardic and Mizrahi specifically), Levantine Arabs, Assyrians, Samaritans, Maronites, Druze, Mandaeans, and Mhallami, all have an ancient indigenous common Near Eastern heritage which can be genetically mapped back to the ancient Fertile Crescent...[14]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates