Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 08:05 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Dud, put away your fake degree in psychology.
You are just all over the map. It's okay to be wrong, you know. Acknowledging that you are is the first step to recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:15 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
The far-right whines about silliness like this, but they have no problems trying to pass laws in this nation where you can use religious excuses to determine who gets a job... such as straight people only, no Muslims, etc.

Hypocrites!

That, and I'm dang tired of watching them use corner-case "liberal" examples to somehow justify the horrible behavior of a powerful and vocal majority of their leadership. They have a terrible habit of claiming, "Well, this random, powerless left-winger said something dumb, so that justifies the idiocy that runs our party." Nope!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:24 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
And Brexit and Trump are also part of "It is what it is." It's not too complex; it's just that you don't like the part of "karma" that you don't like.

Keep hiding behind "You just don't get it." But what really is going on is that I do get it, but you don't like where that leads. To Trump. When people are shut down and told that they're deplorable and they deserve what they get because of injustices of the past that they had nothing to do with. That's what the video explains. Oh well, it is what it is.

Yes, Brexit and Trump are part of karma.

The video was a waste of time.

I keep telling you that karma is neither always good, nor always bad. It's just a reaction. What I think is good karma, you might think is bad karma...and vice-versa.

We can see the same karmic reaction when one party takes center stage -- either party. They ALWAYS over-reach, then by mid-terms there is almost always an adjustment, and perhaps in the next presidential election the pendulum may or may not swing.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times
Quote:
Yes, Brexit and Trump are part of karma.

The video was a waste of time.
Not really. Maybe for some, because he explains some uncomfortable truths. I've witnessed people claim that it's (Trump/Brexit) not karma, it's just people being evil. (Meaning, anyone who disagrees with them is evil...obviously only their viewpoint can be right. Which the guy addresses in the video—that mindset is the reason for Brexit and Trump!)

Quote:
I keep telling you that karma is neither always good, nor always bad. It's just a reaction. What I think is good karma, you might think is bad karma...and vice-versa.
So I did understand karma, then!

So, are you saying that the backlash against whites is "good" karma? Or is it "bad" karma? You brought up "good" and "bad" karma, so I'm assuming you have an opinion on it.

Quote:
We can see the same karmic reaction when one party takes center stage -- either party. They ALWAYS over-reach, then by mid-terms there is almost always an adjustment, and perhaps in the next presidential election the pendulum may or may not swing.
Yeah, it's a pattern we see again and again. We shall see what happens this time.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
How do you know? Every time I did get privy to more info about who was hired the more it was clear racial and gender identity and diversity policies was the explanation. Since there's affirmative action and diversity programs it's very suspect.
Boo ****ing hoo. Blaming conspiracies for your own failures is positively the weakest thing imaginable. You disgust me.

The rest of us white dudes are having no problems. It's clear the market has figured out that you have no value.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:

So, are you saying that the backlash against whites is "good" karma? Or is it "bad" karma? You brought up "good" and "bad" karma, so I'm assuming you have an opinion on it.

Yeah, it's a pattern we see again and again. We shall see what happens this time.
The backlash...I don't see this as a simple answer. I don't think the pendulum swings as drastically as it once did. In fact, I would say that with each swing the pendulum makes a smaller arc. That's good. But it still brings hard feelings on one side or the other.

Here's the problem I see. With a few exceptions, every with every thread on City-Data that deal with race -- and there are thousands of them to the point where there's an obsession about it -- I mostly see a bunch of White guys standing around agreeing with each other. Then they all feel good since they are all parroting each other. And not a single problem is solved. Same thing happens when some groups of Blacks stand around talking about race issues. What's missing is more Whites and Blacks talking to each other.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times
Quote:
The backlash...I don't see this as a simple answer. I don't think the pendulum swings as drastically as it once did. In fact, I would say that with each swing the pendulum makes a smaller arc. That's good. But it still brings hard feelings on one side or the other.
It does. I agree.

So, is excluding white people from certain types of employment good karma or bad karma?

Quote:
Then they all feel good since they are all parroting each other. And not a single problem is solved. Same thing happens when some groups of Blacks stand around talking about race issues. What's missing is more Whites and Blacks talking to each other.
I agree, this happens with every group and it's one of the things that video I posted talked about. "Have a discussion!" he says. Not just talk over each other. Not just label each other. And it works both ways. Anyone can feel excluded and talked over and labeled and when they do, there is a backlash.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
It does. I agree.

So, is excluding white people from certain types of employment good karma or bad karma?

I agree, this happens with every group and it's one of the things that video I posted talked about. "Have a discussion!" he says. Not just talk over each other. Not just label each other. And it works both ways. Anyone can feel excluded and talked over and labeled and when they do, there is a backlash.
I'm not going to answer that question because the answer depends on one's perspective.

But here's what I think the central issue really is: have the issues been totally resolved? And I think the answer is no. Have things improved? Very much so. I'm old enough to remember the South before and during the Civil Rights movement really took hold. But when I see Charlottesville...red flag. When I learn that a large group of wahoos have organized to use social media to put out really negative reviews of "Black Panther"...even though they had not seen the movie...to try to diminish the box office...red flag. When I become principal of a school where the student population is 25% minority, but the teaching staff is 1.2% minority...red flag. We've come a long way. But, in my view, we are not there yet.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:05 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,653 times
Quote:
I believe in societal karma as well as individual karma.
And frankly, as a Christian it is fairly unlikely you understand what karma really is.
You are free to believe in what you want, but according to Hinduism, the religion where the word "Karma" comes from, Karma is only at an individual level.
Believing in societal Karma is like calling a unicorn, a horse. But as I said, you can definitely believe in what you want. Just don't call it Karma.

Last edited by nirvana07; 02-23-2018 at 02:03 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 01:54 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Boo ****ing hoo. Blaming conspiracies for your own failures is positively the weakest thing imaginable. You disgust me.

The rest of us white dudes are having no problems. It's clear the market has figured out that you have no value.
You don't speak for white people. Plenty of white people believe they are being discriminated against and it's being encouraged by the government. Not being allowed to keep your country's demographics what they historically were is just one example of biblical proportions. Affirmative action and diversity programs aren't conspiracy theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates