Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?
No, I don't believe they can (therefore I will not post in this thread) 23 18.25%
Yes, with additional gun control (I have ideas I will post) 18 14.29%
Yes, by addressing issues other than guns (I have ideas I will post) 28 22.22%
Yes, by addressing both guns and other issues (I have ideas I will post) 37 29.37%
Yes, but I have no ideas to post here. 10 7.94%
Yes, but the cost to individual rights is too high, so I favor no changes. 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 11:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think this notion is obsolete. How could private citizens hold off the US military which is now armed with everything from tanks to nuclear weapons?
Well, that was the idea of the founding fathers, if the Govt feared what the people may do,(or could do if they were on equal levels in terms of firepower), they would think twice about enacting tyrannical laws and regulations.

I agree Govt has overstepped its bounds on this, but its done so only because majority of the citizens have allowed this to happen, for the most part, we have given in and accepted some loss of liberty for safety and security...but it was not supposed to happen, the citizens and militia should have prevented this from ever happening, now its just out of control, the Govt could squash just about any revolution that rose up, and low and behold, we have all sorts of tyrannical laws...Gee I wonder how that happened?! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 11:38 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Nope, DUMB IDEA!! So let's just say that somehow a shooter got into a school or business undetected. All these trained "conceal and carry" people hear shots, whip out their concealed guns and head into the hallway.

The police are called in. How the HELL do the police know WHO is the bad guy if say 5 people are sneaking around with their guns in the hallways looking for the BAD guy? The police are going to shoot the wrong guy most likely.
It wouldn't have mattered in Florida, the on site police officer refused to go inside.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 3,476 times
2nd amendment and the constitution has been around forever. My grandfather and his friends would take their rifles to school (this was middle school). The problem isn't freedom, the problem is an attack/erosion of traditional family values, norms, healthy shame, capitalism, and Christianity. With freedom comes responsibility, and a large enabler state that leaves a trail of moral hazards in the rear view mirror of its money grabbing/redistributing get elected schemes has taken away the need for individuals to act responsibly or bear the consequences of their actions. It is laughable that we have an obese "poor" population that can't think straight or read even though they had access to an expensive and more than adequate free education. Last I knew the library was free to go learn as well. Or of course you could put your head down and work hard for 10 years and then voila, what do you know...you have a management position. We have broken families because right, wrong, morality, and pride, have been under attack for decades now. Kids are not raised and taught anything useful by their "parents", they are just thrown in a dark basement with a bag of cheetos and an Xbox from the age of 5. And we wonder why psychos shoot up a school? Maybe because they have been nearly exclusively practicing for 14 years in high definition. I think folks need to wake up and start to see the what is right in front of their own two eyes, using something called common sense wisdom , and try to unbrainwash yourself and forget those big impressive words you have been taught in "higher ed". All it amounts to is a bunch of fancy sounding excuses and illogic.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:07 PM

1,022 posts, read 740,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Oh, please. The parents failed their kids, not the other way around.

Nothing more laughable than listening to aging Boomers whine about "kids these days!" while ignoring the fact that it was their generation that raised them.
Work on your comprehension instead of your arrogance. That is exactly what I am talking about. A failed experiment by the Boomers. It's OK to try something new, if it doesn't work, go back to what was working.

I don't see too many of what is called 'The Greatest Generation' causing problems in society. They are for the most part a huge asset.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:19 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Work on your comprehension instead of your arrogance. That is exactly what I am talking about. A failed experiment by the Boomers. It's OK to try something new, if it doesn't work, go back to what was working.

I don't see too many of what is called 'The Greatest Generation' causing problems in society. They are for the most part a huge asset.
The "Greatest Generation" is that generation that fought in World War II. For those who are still alive, they'd be in in their 90s and 100s. Do you really expect to see many of them causing much trouble...in their nursing homes?

Old 02-26-2018, 02:36 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
The more I think about it the more I think we have more of a problem with prescription drugs then we do with guns.

There are so many drugs out there and they all have a laundry list of side affects and cautions.
Time and again we have seen people go off their meds and get violent.
Of course having easy access to guns is not a good thing but if someone is gearing up for a drug addled rampage then a knife, bat or truck will do the job.

Guns are a problem but so are prescription drugs.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The "Greatest Generation" is that generation that fought in World War II. For those who are still alive, they'd be in in their 90s and 100s. Do you really expect to see many of them causing much trouble...in their nursing homes?
Yes, they are old now, but most of their offspring have been successful contributors to society.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, they are old now, but most of their offspring have been successful contributors to society.
Excuse me. The post I responded to did not talk about their offspring. It specifically talked about people of the "Greatest Generation", after insulting a previous poster by saying, "Work on your comprehension."

Old 02-26-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Excuse me. The post I responded to did not talk about their offspring. It specifically talked about people of the "Greatest Generation", after insulting a previous poster by saying, "Work on your comprehension."
Jeese, we're typing. Can't include every thought in one sentence. 'The Greatest Generation and their offspring'. Does that help ?

The boomers that started raising their children with the 'Time Out' instead of a consequence for their action is a failure. No matter what generation did it.

Kids will always test the borders. They were given no borders.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Jeese, we're typing. Can't include every thought in one sentence. 'The Greatest Generation and their offspring'. Does that help ?

The boomers that started raising their children with the 'Time Out' instead of a consequence for their action is a failure. No matter what generation did it.

Kids will always test the borders. They were given no borders.
If you can't write properly and can't make your points accurately, then don't complain when someone calls you on it. If you meant the baby boom generation (born between 1945-1974; the children of the Greatest Generation) you should have said that. A generation, by the way, which was full of kids burning their draft cards, fleeing to Canada to avoid being drafted, rioting in some cities over civil rights, breaking drug laws...as well as doing many fine things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates