Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 07:48 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since this is a gun ban thread it makes perfect sense to correct people who make misstatements (notice I didn't say intentionally lie, which is really what's happening) about one or another firearm.
Do technical words really matter when 31 people were hit in minutes, and 17 of them died? When victims had organs hit that essentially exploded internally from the power of the bullets?

Old 02-23-2018, 07:49 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Do technical words really matter when 31 people were hit in minutes, and 17 of them died? When victims had organs hit that essentially exploded internally from the power of the bullets?
Yes, it does, when the argument is made of lies. Or excessive hyperbole.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
It does matter.

If you (or others in this thread) want to take something from me, my affirmed right, and admittedly know nothing about what you are talking about and making demands for, why should any gun owner take you seriously?

When I hear "I know nothing about guns...but.... You shouldn't have an ar15", or whatever, I just cringe.

How can we have an honest discussion when half of those involved admittedly know nothing about what they are arguing against.

Its not mere semantics but the cornerstone of the debate.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I don’t know, I have perspective on this whole issue and recognize what’s actually important, and it sure as hell isn't the debate or schooling on what constitutes an assault rifle or an automatic weapon or whatever else people want to argue about.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I don’t know, I have perspective on this whole issue and recognize what’s actually important, and it sure as hell isn't the debate or schooling on what constitutes an assault rifle or an automatic weapon or whatever else people want to argue about.
Yes. Your perspective is that of a gun banner.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:56 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
The vast majority of crap being spewed is absurd. Its fear mongering paranoia. Its intellectually dishonest and deliberately deceitful. The gun grabbers are out in full power trying to seize the crisis for their gain. They don't care about truthfully presenting unbiased information. Its all agenda pushing and people are falling for it

Old 02-23-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
It does matter.

If you (or others in this thread) want to take something from me, my affirmed right, and admittedly know nothing about what you are talking about and making demands for, why should any gun owner take you seriously?

When I hear "I know nothing about guns...but.... You shouldn't have an ar15", or whatever, I just cringe.

How can we have an honest discussion when half of those involved admittedly know nothing about what they are arguing against.

Its not mere semantics but the cornerstone of the debate.
17 kids died needlessly last week. At least 58 died at a concert in Vegas. 27 people, mostly 6 and 7 year olds, died at Sandy Hook Elementary 5 years ago. That is what matters. Not arguing over what technical type of weapons were used. Dozens can be killed in minutes is what matters, with bullets so powerful they essentially explode organs.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Yes. Your perspective is that of a gun banner.
No, you don’t know me or my opinions as I have not stated them. I’m not so sure banning guns will work actually. It’s not just about guns, though it’s at least partially about guns. Do not write off my point with your assumptions about me, it makes you look weak and like you have no true response to my point about the number of deaths in such a short time and the severity of injuries and the overall importance of that - because you don’t.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
I haven't read this whole thread because, frankly, I get tired of rereading the S.O.S. over and over. A couple points....the SCOTUS has already decided that there is an individual right to keep and bear arms SEPARATE FROM any militia need, and this need specifically refers to the type of weapons in common use by the military.

Secondly, we have laws governing the legal sale and transfer of guns that work well. See how the government went 0 for 72 attempts to try and make an illegal gun purchase through legal channels. Law abiding citizens are not the problem, guns are not the problem, those committed to performing criminal acts and the mentally ill are the problem.

https://newstarget.com/2018-01-10-se...ns-online.html

Old 02-23-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
17 kids died needlessly last week. At least 58 died at a concert in Vegas. 27 people, mostly 6 and 7 year olds, died at Sandy Hook Elementary 5 years ago. That is what matters. Not arguing over what technical type of weapons were used. Dozens can be killed in minutes is what matters, with bullets so powerful they essentially explode organs.

Yeah, a .22 caliber bullet. Give me a break on the "exploding organs". Had he been serious about creating the maximum carnage he would have used a 12 gauge shotgun with an extended magazine tube.

Between 10 and 12 shots downrange within 7 or 8 seconds with hundreds of .30 caliber pellets burning holes in the air into a tightly packed crowd. The dead and wounded toll would have been double.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates