Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
It is impossible to regulate enough to stop these “rare” type shootings without “major” infringements on the people. Our current prevention had the tools in place, yet dropped the ball. What was also exposed again was the lack of timely response by those “hoped” to intervene.
Lack of "timely" response? How's about lack of ANY response. The SRO deputy was told that the kid threatened to shoot the school up and yet did nothing with the information.

I've got no issue with new laws when they are needed BUT shouldn't we at least fully use (or use period) the laws that are currently on the books before adding more?

Old 02-24-2018, 08:12 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Lack of "timely" response? How's about lack of ANY response. The SRO deputy was told that the kid threatened to shoot the school up and yet did nothing with the information.

I've got no issue with new laws when they are needed BUT shouldn't we at least fully use (or use period) the laws that are currently on the books before adding more?
I agree. I would also argue that some laws(gun free zones)on the books are making it worse.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:41 AM

343 posts, read 726,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
No, not easy. Not easy at all. Buying a gun is buying a device to kill humans with.

Besides a pistol has limited hunting ability. Not a "militia" weapon by any definition at all.
My guns must all be defective. I have five of them, and none have ever killed anyone.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:59 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
No, not easy. Not easy at all. Buying a gun is buying a device to kill humans with.

Besides a pistol has limited hunting ability. Not a "militia" weapon by any definition at all.

Seems you don't know as much as you think you do about guns and hunting.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...ed-get-started

https://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...s-deer-hunting

Handgun Hunting

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting...mmunition.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv1UWNHt8yI

Old 02-24-2018, 12:08 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:

Ahhh have you ever heard of target shooting? or how about shooting competitions?

Or how about someone that collects firearms? or hunting?

I own a street legal race car but when on the road I obey all laws and I don't speed.

Guns are designed for many things and yes sadly they can be used to kill people when they are in the hands of deranged and dangerous people but then again a car can be used the same way.

In Boston years ago at the marathon we had 2 terrorist build bombs using pressure cookers and they killed and maimed many people but there was no calls to ban pressure cookers.

There are some people that should not have guns.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:53 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And what matters even more is the projectiles aka bullets that are available that are much more deadly than the ones he apparently shot.
I'd hazard that the Flechette Sabot shotgun shells are more damaging to flesh/organs than a .223...

Now THAT is something being made that makes me wonder why...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fletchet+s...-1__&ia=videos

It never ceases to amaze me how humans are so damned good at designing things to eliminate (kill,maim,destroy) each other and yet have such a hard time coming up with ways to STOP doing it to each other.
Then you probably haven't thought very much about this. Because one is just engineering to make a tool. The other is understanding what makes people want to kill others. Nothing to do with each other!

Its like saying, "It never ceases to amaze me how humans are so damned good at making spaceships but yet have such a hard time staying married. "

Old 02-24-2018, 02:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyterp View Post
My guns must all be defective. I have five of them, and none have ever killed anyone.
Mine are too. I have been waiting for them to just walk out the door and start shooting at passerby but they just sit exactly where I left them, doing absolutely nothing.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I really do not understand why people don't get this.
I know, right?

Probably because since the founding, only 1.4% of amendment proposals ever got added to the Constitution.

The founding fathers were intellectual and thoughtful geniuses.

OH, and all mass shootings since 1950s were committed in "gun free zones" except two.

So Second Amendment advocates know the fake news: total confiscation is the goal.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
snip

In Boston years ago at the marathon we had 2 terrorist build bombs using pressure cookers and they killed and maimed many people but there was no calls to ban pressure cookers.

snip
Ah yes, another incident where the FBI knew in advance about the killers and did nothing. One of many.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yep! The far-right treat the Constitution much like they treat their religion. They single out a few quotes that must be interpreted only one way - hating gays, everyone having guns without any questions being asked - and throw out the rest. It is lunacy that the only defense they have for their "guns for all!" idea is "well, that's the way the law is currently interpreted."

That is not only of questionable truth - the 2nd Amendment does not give everyone the right to own whatever weapon they want, no questions asked - but it is hardly a good defense since the EXACT same defense could have been used to justify slavery and prevent women and blacks from voting.

If the best defense one can muster for a bad law is "Well, that's the law" you don't have a defense.
Actually, nope.

The "few quotes" that can be singled out all come from the Supreme Court, where even local states Supreme Courts have been overturning unconstitutional gun laws left and right.

Where?

Let's start with just in the past few months with Delaware, Illinois and California.

And I don't know who you're quoting but it's not a thing "that's the way the law is currently interpreted".

LOL the answer is:

We are born with inalienable rights to protect ourselves and our property.

The Constitution is written and devised to LIMIT GOVERNMENT'S POWERS.

Hope that helps.

It sure helped these ladies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_roboto View Post
why a pistol is sometimes not enough .....

A man stormed Forest Acres Liquor in Tulsa, Oklahoma, armed with a shotgun
Tina Ring, 53, and daughter Ashley Lee, 30, locked him in shop and each grabbed a pistol that was hidden under the register
In the heart stopping footage Tina shoots the robber several times but he continues to stumble back towards them
The suspect, who police have identified as Tyrone Lee, 36, tries to wrestle the mother's gun from her hands and pistol whips her
However he doesn't realize the mom's gun is out of ammo and her daughter squeezes off a shot at point blank range

Read more: US mother and daughter fend off shotgun-wielding robber | Daily Mail Online
The only mistake the mom made was not shooting him in the face or blowing his brains out.

THAT'S why police officers shoot to kill.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-24-2018 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates