Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should driving a car be a Right?
Yes, it should be a protected Right. 13 8.84%
No, it should be a privilege that can be taken away. 134 91.16%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,077,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I don't see any reason why we should restrict a person's right to travel.
Huh? You don't need to drive to travel! Really...you want blind people driving???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,142,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Your right to travel isn’t restricted if you dont have a drivers license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Indeed. Online videos of Sovereign Citizens, Freeman, et al., using the "right to travel" argument when stopped by the police for a traffic violation are pure comedy gold. These fools apparently have an unlimited capacity for repeatedly whining "Am I being detained?", "I do not consent", "I'm traveling, not driving", "I do not wish to create joinder with you" and a relentless stream of other incoherent babble, all of which culminates in their window being smashed and them being forcibly removed from their car. Or, they could just sign the traffic ticket and make their (lost) case in court. Not the brightest bunch of folks.
Exactly. The way I see it, your license shows that you are qualified to operate a motor vehicle. Sure, you can travel by whatever means you wish, but if you choose to travel by operating a 2 ton machine that has the potential to injure/kill yourself or others, then you need to be in a fit state to operate it, and demonstrate (through the obtaining and maintenance of your possession of a license) that you are capable of doing so safely.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,541,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Ever notice that tractor trailers often have a sign : "No Riders".
Why not "No Passengers"?
Because people try to bum rides. They don't bum passage.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 PM

776 posts, read 396,306 times
No way! We need less drivers on the road, not more. Far too many people think driving is a right, hence they drive at old ages, drive drunk, etc.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:18 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,668,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
I didn't vote in the poll for the same reasons Reads2Much mentioned. I do think that you should be able to demonstrate that you can drive safely to have a driver's license. I do not think that a driver's license should be revoked for non-driving-related reasons for example though (e.g. in some places I've heard of them doing that for not paying child support).

I agree with the bolded and I agree with most of the current system. IMO, everyone should have the right to a drivers license unless they prove that they're a burden on the road or they're a liability. But also, have to prove that they can drive within the law. But I also think, in my opinion, it's not such "a privilege " because there are hefty prices to pay in order to drive. You have to buy the vehicle; pay for insurance; pay for gas, which is heavily levied by state and road taxes; car registration, etc... Some people argue that it's more of a burden than a "privilege".

Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 AM

By the way, the whole traveling argument loses weight since it glaringly ignores all the other accessible modes of transport and fixates on the personal automobile.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,961,589 times
I think it should stay a privilege but I wonder why and how we can treat this a privilege yet gun ownership is a third rail right (I only use this fire to the defect by some gun owners.) I mean the OP and other posters make points that I do agree with, but at the end of the day, when you go out on the road you have to keep your vehicle under control. As for travel, let's remember that not all areas have the options for public transit and some people would have to actually go a town or two over to get the right public transportation.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:42 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,892,882 times
While I do agree that cars can be dangerous, and their use should be regulated, the OP's argument isn't without merit. The right to travel within the country is a constitutional right. But think about it. When the constitution was written, anybody could travel within the country how they pleased, provided that they respected property rights. You could just strap on a backpack, then find a trail or road, or plop your raft down in a river, and just go. In other words, similar to the "freedom to roam" law in modern-day Sweden. Not to mention, the railroad network was huge; even godforsaken villages had a train station.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-01-2018 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Political commentary.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
While I do agree that cars can be dangerous, and their use should be regulated, the OP's argument isn't without merit. The right to travel within the country is a constitutional right. But think about it. When the constitution was written, anybody could travel within the country how they pleased, provided that they respected property rights. You could just strap on a backpack, then find a trail or road, or plop your raft down in a river, and just go. In other words, similar to the "freedom to roam" law in modern-day Sweden. Not to mention, the railroad network was huge; even godforsaken villages had a train station.

Today in the US, we have a police state. You'll get arrested on some charge if you go into a forest preserve at night, or set foot into a river in a city, or walk along an expressway. Gotta keep that prison-industrial complex full, you know . Especially considering that in some small towns, an interstate expressway is the only way in and out. And Amtrak is a joke, compared to interurban trains in other countries. So without a car, knowing someone who has one, or moving to a less isolated place, you literally have no right to travel, because pedestrians aren't allowed on expressways. So what do you do then?
No merit whatsoever. The OP and so called travelers are fixated on trying to skirt automobile licensing and registration. They don't care about real travel.

Say someone wants to travel to the UK. Is anyone going to stop them?

A forest preserve isn't open access land. Walking on the highway is a safety concern. You want bodies by the side of the road? Sheesh.

Explain to me one place you want to travel to and then tell me how you're being prevented from going.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:13 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,892,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No merit whatsoever. The OP and so called travelers are fixated on trying to skirt automobile licensing and registration. They don't care about real travel.

Say someone wants to travel to the UK. Is anyone going to stop them?

A forest preserve isn't open access land. Walking on the highway is a safety concern. You want bodies by the side of the road? Sheesh.

Explain to me one place you want to travel to and then tell me how you're being prevented from going.
I was using a generic example, based on how I understood the OP when they said "travel". Look at history books: people put on a backpack, and set off on a journey, on their own, wherever their needs dictated. And if they didn't have a train station nearby, they walked along a road or rafted down a river. Not that it was the safest thing to do, but they just did. Such a thing is impossible today, due to the police state we created for ourselves. In many parts of the country, travel really is limited to cars.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-28-2018 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates