Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should driving a car be a Right?
Yes, it should be a protected Right. 13 8.84%
No, it should be a privilege that can be taken away. 134 91.16%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I don't see any reason why we should restrict a person's right to travel.
We don't. Travel all you like.

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 09:46 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Do you really want to give a person with severe cerebral palsy the RIGHT to drive a motor vehicle, when they can't even drive their powered wheel chair by themselves?
How about someone with late-stage Alzheimers disease, or Lou Gehrigs disease?
As always, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it, and the Law Of Unintended Consequences could very easily rare up and bite a chunk out of your "Rights"/

Old 02-25-2018, 10:08 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
I was a Logistics/Transportation major, including Urban/Personal Transportation, as an undergraduate; and as it turns out, I'm going to have to struggle with physical issues impeding both operating a vehicle and walking longer distances in later life. Two points need to be emphasized:

(1) The options for those unable to drive, particularly outside urban areas, have been eroding since the widespread acceptance of the personal auto. The strongest single proof is the shrinkage of the intercity bus network. Lyft/Uber will help, but the limits to which it can develop haven't yet been determined.

(2) The constant babble from some quarters about "self-driving cars" has to be drawn into line with what advances in technology can and can not do. This thread isn't the place for it, but I could easily cite a half-dozen factors where the fantasies drawn from too much "George Jetson" and the afternoon talk-show promises (always from the non-technically-trained) that "A self-driving car will be here in five years" run up against hard realities.

But beyond that, most of the "pinch points" can be surmounted, or at least eased.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,241 times
At this point it is a de facto right. In Texas, for example, you can get a hardship exemption to drive even after loosing your license for multiple DUI/DWIs. There was a woman in Austin who drove over and killed a man in a convenience store parking lot who was cited 5 times previously for driving without a license. The penalties for bad driving (aside from those involving intoxication) are so minuscule that they do nothing to reduce risky behavior. Drive through a red light while texting and hit and kill a pedestrian in the crosswalk will result in a misdemeanor if anything at all. I could go on.......

Also bad land use decisions related to suburban development patterns are a self-imposed hardship, and should not get much empathy. In the old days rural people did not go into town on a daily basis.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:29 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Do you really want to give a person with severe cerebral palsy the RIGHT to drive a motor vehicle, when they can't even drive their powered wheel chair by themselves?
How about someone with late-stage Alzheimers disease, or Lou Gehrigs disease?
As always, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it, and the Law Of Unintended Consequences could very easily rare up and bite a chunk out of your "Rights"/
I agree. My 80 year old father once drove his car down to the drive-in restaurant for breakfast in his town. Well...it wasn't a drive-in restaurant until he arrived that day.

Some people, for a variety of reasons, need to not be driving a car.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:17 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Living 20 miles from a store or 60 miles from work is a choice a person makes. No one forced them to make that decision.
Sorry, but this statement is absolutely untrue. There are many factors which could affect where a person lives or works. For instance availability of affordable housing or available jobs. Everyone can not live in the city. Often cheaper housing can be found farther away from your local city centers. Which is why many people with lower incomes tend to live farther away from the city. So while for some it may be a choice, for many others it's simply what they have to do in order to survive. Also, there are people like myself, whose work requires them to travel all over the place. Should I maintain several residences around the 60 to 80 mile radius that I must travel for work so that I can be within walking distance of home at all times? I think not. The point is, there are many factors which could come into play when it comes to where a person lives. It's not simply about choice.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:36 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I don't see any reason why we should restrict a person's right to travel.
Since the state and federal gov't own the all roads ,and all right of way, citizen ability to use same is theirs to say.

However, if you reject that fact then you can drive all you want in an open farmers field 'cause that would be on private land.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
It's a necessary individual right, just as other rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights. I hate to think what the majority of thee posters on this thread think of the Second Amendment. I'm glad we had the Founding Fathers. If cars had existed in those days, driving would be a constitutional right.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:09 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
You mean a right, by birth? That is too scary to imagine. Someone with no training, no knowledge of traffic laws, regardless of disability, could get behind the wheel. Needless to say, it would make it harder to get drunks off the road. The day it happens,I give up driving. Maybe walking as well.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:52 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Honestly, I have actually discussed this very issue before with a few of my friends and I for one agree with you. I mean, according to the law, driving is still considered a privilege. But I submit that in today's society it is pretty much a requirement that you have access to a motor vehicle in order to get where you need to go in a timely manner. Especially for people who live in rural areas. There are still people out there who live 20 or more miles from the nearest grocery store, and still more who live 60 or more miles from their place of business or employment. For those people, driving is an absolute requirement. And for that reason I feel driving should no longer be considered a "privilege". However, with that being said, I still believe you should be required to prove you have the ability to drive in a competent manner. Furthermore, there should still be a minimum age for driving and the authorities should still have the ability to enforce safe driving to the same degree that they do now. So honestly, I don't really think much would change if driving were given the status of a "right" instead of a "privilege". The bottom line is we would still have people who would disobey safe driving laws and have their "right" to drive interrupted or revoked.

PS. I voted wrong. Although I do believe driving should be a protected right, I also believe that "right" should still fall under the law and be subject to interruption or revocation if a person simply can not be trusted to drive a car. I mean, I believe in the 2nd amendment, but I also believe violent criminals should lose their right to possess or own guns. So I should have voted no in the poll. My mistake.
It's your choice where you live - if you can't drive then you can't live in a rural area without either public transportation, cabs, Uber, etc. Just like people who need a lot of healthcare end up moving closer to good doctors and hospitals... the hospitals don't move to THEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates