Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should driving a car be a Right?
Yes, it should be a protected Right. 13 8.84%
No, it should be a privilege that can be taken away. 134 91.16%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,786 times

Advertisements

I don't see any reason why we should restrict a person's right to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 10:09 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I don't see any reason why we should restrict a person's right to travel.
Honestly, I have actually discussed this very issue before with a few of my friends and I for one agree with you. I mean, according to the law, driving is still considered a privilege. But I submit that in today's society it is pretty much a requirement that you have access to a motor vehicle in order to get where you need to go in a timely manner. Especially for people who live in rural areas. There are still people out there who live 20 or more miles from the nearest grocery store, and still more who live 60 or more miles from their place of business or employment. For those people, driving is an absolute requirement. And for that reason I feel driving should no longer be considered a "privilege". However, with that being said, I still believe you should be required to prove you have the ability to drive in a competent manner. Furthermore, there should still be a minimum age for driving and the authorities should still have the ability to enforce safe driving to the same degree that they do now. So honestly, I don't really think much would change if driving were given the status of a "right" instead of a "privilege". The bottom line is we would still have people who would disobey safe driving laws and have their "right" to drive interrupted or revoked.

PS. I voted wrong. Although I do believe driving should be a protected right, I also believe that "right" should still fall under the law and be subject to interruption or revocation if a person simply can not be trusted to drive a car. I mean, I believe in the 2nd amendment, but I also believe violent criminals should lose their right to possess or own guns. So I should have voted no in the poll. My mistake.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
"Riding" private automobiles is a personal liberty.
"Driving" a motor vehicle is a privilege.
Title 18 USC Sec. 31 : When used in this chapter the term - ... “MOTOR VEHICLE” means every description of carriage or other contrivance propelled or drawn by mechanical power and USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES on the highways in the transportation of passengers, passengers and property, or property or cargo...
- - - Title 18 USC Sec. 31
"used for commercial purposes"

Ever notice that tractor trailers often have a sign : "No Riders".
Why not "No Passengers"?
Because they ARE licensed to carry passengers. Riders are not passengers.
A "passenger auto" is a commercial vehicle, hauling passengers for hire.
" Personal liberty largely consists of the Right of locomotion to go where and when one pleases only so far restrained as the Rights of others may make it necessary for the welfare of all other citizens. The Right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, by horsedrawn carriage, wagon, or automobile, is not a mere privilege which may be permitted or prohibited at will, but the common Right which he has under his Right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Under this Constitutional guarantee one may, therefore, under normal conditions, travel at his inclination along the public highways or in public places, and while conducting himself in an orderly and decent manner, neither interfering with nor disturbing another's Rights, he will be protected, not only in his person, but in his safe conduct."
- - - II Am.Jur. (1st) Constitutional Law, Sect.329, p.1135.
Personal liberty is basically the natural right to freely travel upon the public roads and waterways, and not be subject to interference, as long as he does not interfere another’s right to travel. But using the public ways for private commerce is subject to licensing, etc.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:14 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Who is restricting anyone's "right" to travel... or drive a vehicle?? -- Or, do you mean you don't think there should be any requirements or restrictions, such as getting a license or learning how to drive or the rules of the road?

Like many things, driving a vehicle is a "responsibility" that affects the lives of many people. Far too many people already exercise their "right to text and talk on the phone (or drink), while driving." They may and should have their "right" to drive at the same time, revoked for the safety of others.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:58 AM

602 posts, read 505,484 times
I didn't vote in the poll for the same reasons Reads2Much mentioned. I do think that you should be able to demonstrate that you can drive safely to have a driver's license. I do not think that a driver's license should be revoked for non-driving-related reasons for example though (e.g. in some places I've heard of them doing that for not paying child support).

Old 02-25-2018, 07:03 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Honestly, I have actually discussed this very issue before with a few of my friends and I for one agree with you. I mean, according to the law, driving is still considered a privilege. But I submit that in today's society it is pretty much a requirement that you have access to a motor vehicle in order to get where you need to go in a timely manner. Especially for people who live in rural areas. There are still people out there who live 20 or more miles from the nearest grocery store, and still more who live 60 or more miles from their place of business or employment. For those people, driving is an absolute requirement. And for that reason I feel driving should no longer be considered a "privilege". However, with that being said, I still believe you should be required to prove you have the ability to drive in a competent manner. Furthermore, there should still be a minimum age for driving and the authorities should still have the ability to enforce safe driving to the same degree that they do now. So honestly, I don't really think much would change if driving were given the status of a "right" instead of a "privilege". The bottom line is we would still have people who would disobey safe driving laws and have their "right" to drive interrupted or revoked.

PS. I voted wrong. Although I do believe driving should be a protected right, I also believe that "right" should still fall under the law and be subject to interruption or revocation if a person simply can not be trusted to drive a car. I mean, I believe in the 2nd amendment, but I also believe violent criminals should lose their right to possess or own guns. So I should have voted no in the poll. My mistake.
Living 20 miles from a store or 60 miles from work is a choice a person makes. No one forced them to make that decision.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:46 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,786 times
If it can be taken away, or restricted, it is not a right, but a privilege.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be penalties to harming others, you can still retain a Right while being held accountable for bad judgement. But if traveling by car on public roads is a Right, there would be no license to be taken away.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times
Driving is a right on your own property. Once you are on the public roads, you are required to know the driving laws, have insurance and show you can operate the car safely. Everyone are “entitled” to drive upon meeting this reasonable criteria.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Who is restricting anyone's "right" to travel... or drive a vehicle?? -- Or, do you mean you don't think there should be any requirements or restrictions, such as getting a license or learning how to drive or the rules of the road?

Like many things, driving a vehicle is a "responsibility" that affects the lives of many people. Far too many people already exercise their "right to text and talk on the phone (or drink), while driving." They may and should have their "right" to drive at the same time, revoked for the safety of others.
I agree. Also, nothing is stopping someone who does not have a car from riding with a friend or taking a train! Also, there is always old fashioned walking.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:25 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,313,333 times
Driving an automobile is a privilege. Traveling is a Constitutional Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates