Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 01:31 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times

Advertisements

[quote=Zippyman;51471371]Why do cops have AR15's?

Same reason!

Actually a better reason for a private citizen than a cop - cops have body armor & the advantage of other cops rushing to their aid in times of need. A cop isn't *ever* going to come to your rescue as fast as they do for other cops. How long before the cops arrive when you call 911? What about after a flood, hurricane, tornado, or power outage? That's when a regular citizen *needs* to be able to take care of themselves, or suffer the consequences.[/QUOTES] It's also cops jobs to routinely face violent criminals then the average citizen.

Quote:
A small, lightweight weapon that can be fired accurately even by children and the disabled, able to engage multiple bad-guys, cheap to practice with, can hold a bayonet, flashlight & laser, can cook bacon on the barrel, enlarges the boy-parts.. Lots of reasons?

What's your excuse for making yourself helpless?
Are you really that hard up to think having a simple handgun makes yourself helpless? What's next walking around the streets with an AR-15 just to go buy milk at the store because you feel helpless without one?

Old 03-30-2018, 01:57 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
[quote=Ro2113;51471481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Why do cops have AR15's?

Same reason!

Actually a better reason for a private citizen than a cop - cops have body armor & the advantage of other cops rushing to their aid in times of need. A cop isn't *ever* going to come to your rescue as fast as they do for other cops. How long before the cops arrive when you call 911? What about after a flood, hurricane, tornado, or power outage? That's when a regular citizen *needs* to be able to take care of themselves, or suffer the consequences.[/QUOTES] It's also cops jobs to routinely face violent criminals then the average citizen.

Are you really that hard up to think having a simple handgun makes yourself helpless? What's next walking around the streets with an AR-15 just to go buy milk at the store because you feel helpless without one?

Fact - more cops die in traffic accidents than by any other method, yet still no one wants to deny them guns, often actual "machine guns".

Just because it's unlikely that I'll ever need to use my gun isn't a valid reason for restricting my right to own one, any more than you would take them away from cops for the same reason.

The Florida nightclub shooter was a courthouse security guard, responsible for making sure private citizens didn't bring guns to the courthouse. But he had one.

Cops are more likely to be domestic abusers than the general population & they aren't as good with their guns as your typical concealed carrier. When a concealed carrier has a defensive gun use, they fire less shots & hit the bad guy more often than cops do. Those are facts, not bull****.

While we're on the subject of cops, (who you think should have AR15's), you should google the "Brady list" for your state. In my state, there are about 7,000 cops on that list. They get there by lying in court or by generally breaking the law & making themselves so untrustworthy that their very character has been impeached. Yet, they're often still on patrol in a city near you!

I strap my six-shooter on when walking my dog in rattlesnake season for the same reason I wear a life-vest when jumping into a boat. Life happens, better to have it and not need it.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Fact - more cops die in traffic accidents than by any other method, yet still no one wants to deny them guns, often actual "machine guns".

Just because it's unlikely that I'll ever need to use my gun isn't a valid reason for restricting my right to own one, any more than you would take them away from cops for the same reason.

The Florida nightclub shooter was a courthouse security guard, responsible for making sure private citizens didn't bring guns to the courthouse. But he had one.

Cops are more likely to be domestic abusers than the general population & they aren't as good with their guns as your typical concealed carrier. When a concealed carrier has a defensive gun use, they fire less shots & hit the bad guy more often than cops do. Those are facts, not bull****.

While we're on the subject of cops, (who you think should have AR15's), you should google the "Brady list" for your state. In my state, there are about 7,000 cops on that list. They get there by lying in court or by generally breaking the law & making themselves so untrustworthy that their very character has been impeached. Yet, they're often still on patrol in a city near you!

I strap my six-shooter on when walking my dog in rattlesnake season for the same reason I wear a life-vest when jumping into a boat. Life happens, better to have it and not need it.
Guns will never be banned but many people will never be convinced that they have they should carry guns everywhere in their day to day lives just because something might happen even if it has low probability.

I do find it funny that you have brought up the corruption of law enforcement while another poster here had brought up the ineptitude of our armed forces regarding the Iraq and Afghanistan war. Folks who are pro-NRA are usually avid fans of the military and law enforcement.

It would be safe to assume that you feel the police's actions in Sacramento were an example of the corruption you just laid out.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Guns will never be banned but many people will never be convinced that they have they should carry guns everywhere in their day to day lives just because something might happen even if it has low probability.

I do find it funny that you have brought up the corruption of law enforcement while another poster here had brought up the ineptitude of our armed forces regarding the Iraq and Afghanistan war. Folks who are pro-NRA are usually avid fans of the military and law enforcement.

It would be safe to assume that you feel the police's actions in Sacramento were an example of the corruption you just laid out.

Cops are the reason we need the second amendment. A standing army, just as the founding fathers feared - often of a mindset that their "job" is to protect businesses from the public, and sincerely believing that the public is just a group of "perps" who haven't been caught yet.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/1...newday-new.cnn

That's a murder of an unarmed man. Covered up by an armed criminal gang, all are not only walking free, but armed & somehow trusted more than ordinary citizens.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:30 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
I know that's why it is not a gun ban FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME.

Just like not selling alcohol on Sunday doesn't mean alcohol is banned.

Do you know that even in states with strict gun laws you can still own a fire arm? It seems like a lot of you don't.

I've never said all guns should be banned but really unless you're hunter why have an AR-15?
Alcohol isn't a constitutional right.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:32 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
And you believe that regulations that wouldn't save anyone are "rational".

Murder is already illegal. Making it extra-extra illegal won't end murder.
Having a military grade weapon makes murder a whole lot easier.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have a pressure-cooker too, you want that next?

Old 03-30-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Cops are the reason we need the second amendment. A standing army, just as the founding fathers feared - often of a mindset that their "job" is to protect businesses from the public, and sincerely believing that the public is just a group of "perps" who haven't been caught yet.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/1...newday-new.cnn

That's a murder of an unarmed man. Covered up by an armed criminal gang, all are not only walking free, but armed & somehow trusted more than ordinary citizens.
Well this is actually somewhat refreshing to hear. Most people who wail about any potential gun regulation never question the cops or the military and always take their side in situations like the one in Sacramento.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:02 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Tell that to the 300,000 people killed by civilian-grade weapons over the last 10 years.

Oh, wait, you can't. Because they're just as dead if they'd been shot with an M16.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:42 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post New Hampshire has basically zero firearms laws, and yet has a lower homicide rate than Canada.

Quote:
Speaking of low probability, take a look at Maine, Vermont & New Hampshire. Three adjoining states where every law-abiding adult has the choice to carry guns everywhere in their day to day lives, yet these states, with no permits required, have among the lowest rates of violent crime and homicide in the hemisphere. New Hampshire has basically zero firearms laws, and yet has a lower homicide rate than Canada. With ~10% of the adult population carrying concealed, The N.NE states have extremely low rates of interpersonal crime, much lower than Canada's.

Quote:
I've never said all guns should be banned but really unless you're hunter why have an AR-15?
  1. Defense of self is a natural right, is recognized by but not granted by the US Constitution.
  2. I'm a survivor (in the same way Hogg is a "survivor"; close enough to see the flames and smell the burning tires) of two of the most deadly urban riots in modern American history. For that reason, I choose to have the most effective personal self-defense tool for resisting multiple attackers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates