Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 07:32 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
It was in my life time that seatbelts and carseats became mandatory. That is relevant.
Relevant to the question of whether driving was ever a right? How so?

Old 03-29-2018, 07:43 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Oh I agree with that, I mean look what happened to Laura Ingraham, back tracked her comments about some of the Parkland kids after one of them called for a boycott and some of her advertisers broke away. Yup money is what rules the roost.
Yup - works for the NRA so I guess that's how ya gotta play the game if you want to win!

Old 03-29-2018, 07:44 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Parkland shooting survivors turned activists just got the cover of TIME magazine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-sh...110036741.html

What do you think about these new activists getting the cover of TIME magazine and what do you think about their message?
I think that the glory/heroism that a TIME Magazine cover represents should be reserved for those who actually DO something worthy of the tribute. Experiencing a tragic event in your life and having an opinion about the constitution doesn't make anyone a hero.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:59 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I think that the glory/heroism that a TIME Magazine cover represents should be reserved for those who actually DO something worthy of the tribute. Experiencing a tragic event in your life and having an opinion about the constitution doesn't make anyone a hero.
They have the ambition to research the situation, speak out against a system that's heavily against them, and do so after being in the midst of an active shooting scenario. Not to mention an internet forum that's also against them to boot

Old 03-30-2018, 03:26 AM

986 posts, read 2,508,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Seriously?

I swear, all this attention is only feeding their already lofty egos.

What next, Nobel peace prize nomination for these teenagers?
Yeah, they're too naive to realize that guns, bibles & money are what really matters on this shallow planet. You tell 'em!

Fools like you would require an immediate friend or family member killed in a shooting to get the point.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:32 AM

Default Gun nuts are generally unintelligent

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What rights are they standing up for?
What specific laws are they looking to change?
Could any one of them recite their state's regulations regarding purchase, possession and regulation of guns?
Could any one of them express SPECIFICALLY what laws need to be updated, why it needs to be updated and what SPECIFICALLY needs to be changed?

Nope. None of them.

Just ... guns bad .... more laws ... more laws ... oh and more laws. And let's cut class because a national political organization is using CHILDREN to forward its own personal agenda at the national level, using an emotionally devastating event as manipulation. Yeah, that's the ticket. That makes sense ... more laws .. because why .. they told us we need them ... let's all cut class. Yeah, if we all cut class and wave signs .. that'll change everything.

Oh and yes let's go to DUBAI and ISRAEL -- yes Parkland teens went to BOTH countries -- to talk about US gun laws. Because diplomats love to talk to teenagers when seeking political advice ... for a different country???
Guys like you would only find religion if a close relation got shot. Then, you'd realize your so-called "rights" are shallow and selfish. Bunch of weak-minded hicks worshiping machined pieces of metal because you've got no real moral code.

Moderators, go ahead and ban me. I''m just fed up with white trash in general.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:42 AM

Default Gun nuts are usually weak-minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Strawman. People are calling for the disbandment of military grade weapons on average joe citizens who aren't part of a police force, the military and people with the proper training to hold military style weapons.

Seems to me boys with toys want freedom to have the weapons but not the responsibility to serve in the well-regulated militia one weekend a month.
I find that some of the stupidest, most reckless, most evil people own the most guns and play with them the most.

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=.50+bmg+vs (dummies blowin' stuff up)

Exhibit B: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ot+compilation (no morality whatsoever)

Old 03-30-2018, 06:05 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
The tide has turned on me a little for the young man named David Hogg. Although, I have not seen the specific quotes apparently a Fox broadcaster opined that he stop whining because he was not accepted to some of his colleges. I have to agree. While I think he is a well spoken young man and will definitely go places, he needs to stop with the ego now and get back to what he became famous for, the task at hand so to speak. He is not untouchable in the media now and should have just let this one all off his back, unless he can prove that his activity related to this cause, was the reason for the rejections. I am afraid he is letting this go to his head.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:07 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Relevant to the question of whether driving was ever a right? How so?
There is little difference between rights and privileges. People can split hairs about semantics.

We have the right to drive a car, but there are rules and regulations we must follow in order to make the experience as safe for as many people as possible. You will find that there is no right or privilege in America that is without any limitations.

Furthermore, people didn't lose their right to drive by following rules. They simply adapted.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:08 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
They did do something. They spoke up and stopped letting the same old rhetoric keep things at the status quo. They are heros. Just because you don't agree with what they did, doesn't make them remarkable. And remarkable is worthy of notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates