Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 01:21 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,237,216 times

Advertisements

Moderator note: as of this posting only 12 of over 30 posts remain in this thread. If you choose to post here:
Read the great debates stickies
Read all of the posts in the thread
Stay on topic - don’t get embroiled in political debate
Use your words - don’t use all caps

Or is it that those on the fringes just yell the loudest?

There really seems to be no room for moderates or compromise in today's society.

Compromise is viewed as a sign of weakness. If you don't get everything you want for some people you lost or failed.

I have also notice that more and more people hold a binary view of the world. There's no gray there's only black and white, good and bad and what seems to be constant thing on these threads, right and left.

In some ways this is the biggest reason why people can't understand others who don't share their opinions and beliefs. Someone thinks that they know all of the answers to society's ills and if we simply do this the problem will cease to exist.

If that was the case than their solutions would be implemented easily with no unforeseen consequences.

I have to wonder if society will ever return to moderacy or will people continue to egotistically look at those with different beliefs as the enemy?

Last edited by toosie; 04-01-2018 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 08:21 AM

82 posts, read 105,971 times
People in general are easily manipulated by what they follow as their sources of information... CNN, Fox, online blogs, etc. The media especially tend to portray things in the extreme stirring up the human mind to take a position (against a perceived enemy one). It's all a fiction, but most of us don't realize it.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
People in general are easily manipulated by what they follow as their sources of information... CNN, Fox, online blogs, etc. The media especially tend to portray things in the extreme stirring up the human mind to take a position (against a perceived enemy one). It's all a fiction, but most of us don't realize it.
Or most people on some level enjoy the polarization. It's comforting to see something that reinforces your worldview.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,563,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Or most people on some level enjoy the polarization. It's comforting to see something that reinforces your worldview.
That's it exactly. People enjoy taking sides and lobbing insults at the other side. They enjoy setting up certain people, ideas, and viewpoints as eternal enemies.

Moderator cut: .

Last edited by toosie; 04-01-2018 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: Politicizing and hyperbolic

Old 03-31-2018, 10:14 AM

22,694 posts, read 24,716,205 times
People are very polarized and there are many more outlets in this day-and-age to shape and amplify their feelings.

I do not see a large-scale return to a more moderate approach to life by most people.

Humans naturally divide in various ways......this current extremism has thrown fuel onto
the naturally divisive ways of the human populace.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:10 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,149,508 times
I realize the polarization seems extreme but you need to understand that when it comes to matters of legislation; our government has a track record of a door-to-door solicitor: Get one foot in the door & worm your way in.

If you are not part of the targeted demographic; you will not see the progression.

There are actual documents regarding public policy that are worded “Care must be taken to not appear coercive ...” Not just towards citizens of this country but as a matter of practice for international relations with other countries as well.

Certainly there are people who are incapable of compromise & are adversarial & confrontational about it. But to tell you the truth; I’d rather deal with someone like that than deal with someone who is also incapable of compromise but accomplishes their goal by lying to your face & stabbing you in the back.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I realize the polarization seems extreme but you need to understand that when it comes to matters of legislation; our government has a track record of a door-to-door solicitor: Get one foot in the door & worm your way in.

If you are not part of the targeted demographic; you will not see the progression.

There are actual documents regarding public policy that are worded “Care must be taken to not appear coercive ...” Not just towards citizens of this country but as a matter of practice for international relations with other countries as well.

Certainly there are people who are incapable of compromise & are adversarial & confrontational about it. But to tell you the truth; I’d rather deal with someone like that than deal with someone who is also incapable of compromise but accomplishes their goal by lying to your face & stabbing you in the back.
I understand where you're coming from but if this if this is where we are right now then the bar is set really low and we are almost at rock bottom.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:24 PM

51,156 posts, read 24,624,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Or is it that those on the fringes just yell the loudest?

There really seems to be no room for moderates or compromise in today's society.

Compromise is viewed as a sign of weakness. If you don't get everything you want for some people you lost or failed.

I have also notice that more and more people hold a binary view of the world. There's no gray there's only black and white, good and bad and what seems to be constant thing on these threads, right and left.

In some ways this is the biggest reason why people can't understand others who don't share their opinions and beliefs. Someone thinks that they know all of the answers to society's ills and if we simply do this the problem will cease to exist.

If that was the case than their solutions would be implemented easily with no unforeseen consequences.

I have to wonder if society will ever return to moderacy or will people continue to egotistically look at those with different beliefs as the enemy?
I think you're pretty much on target here. And I see it right here on C-D all the time. Too many people see things as being black/white, right/wrong, either/or. In reality most issues are on a continuum

I think back, however, to the phrase "the silent majority". I think the "silent majority" is actually the middle. As you point out, the extremes are most vocal. I live in very conservative Colorado Springs, and yet as I talk with friends...even those who voted for Trump, I rarely see/hear the radical right in what they talk about.

And then there's the anonymity factor on so much of social media. I am more free in expressing my disdain for the immoral minority when I'm on a site like this than I am when I'm on Facebook where everyone knows exactly who's saying what.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you're pretty much on target here. And I see it right here on C-D all the time. Too many people see things as being black/white, right/wrong, either/or. In reality most issues are on a continuum

I think back, however, to the phrase "the silent majority". I think the "silent majority" is actually the middle. As you point out, the extremes are most vocal. I live in very conservative Colorado Springs, and yet as I talk with friends...even those who voted for Trump, I rarely see/hear the radical right in what they talk about.

And then there's the anonymity factor on so much of social media. I am more free in expressing my disdain for the immoral minority when I'm on a site like this than I am when I'm on Facebook where everyone knows exactly who's saying what.
But it does make you think doesn't it? Those on the extremes and fringes allow politics to define who they are as well as other people. I don't know if the people in the middle are really as involved or define themselves in terms of 'us vs them'

Last edited by Ro2113; 03-31-2018 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-31-2018, 01:17 PM

Moderator cut: qouted post has been deleted from this thread

Using such loaded language is exactly what I'm talking about. No no one should accuse everyone owning a gun of murder just because of the actions of a few sickos. Using loaded language doesn't help their or your argument. It's a common tactic to get a rise out of people.

Last edited by toosie; 04-01-2018 at 05:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates