Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:14 AM

2,017 posts, read 1,656,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
The metric system is a walk in the park, and you can always reach for the remote if soccer is on, but if cricket is introduced to the TV schedules, lock and load, and man the barricades, it will frazzle your brain, it makes walking down the street look exciting.
someone once said, cricket is like watching a man walk a dog but without the manor the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 10:31 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,418,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Actually, the last bastion of American freedom is the Second Amendment. Once it's gone, so is our freedom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
As for a Glock action figure, I have the real thing. And I've already used it to defend myself. Unlike you. You'd just cover your head and cry like a little girl if someone was trying to break into your abode.

Shhhhh. Ok, everyone, look at your screen. It's an 'internet tough guy' in his natural habitat.

Notice how his species has cleverly adapted to turning any conceivable topic of conversation to the 2nd amendment, and then follows up by bragging about shooting people. It is just a mimicry of real manhood, but it is the dance of his people.

And if you listen carefully, you can hear his lonely, plainitive cry, "Freedom!... Freedom!..."

Old 07-04-2018, 06:16 AM

27,351 posts, read 13,597,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
someone once said, cricket is like watching a man walk a dog but without the manor the dog.
There are different types of cricket including limited overs one day and T20.

Forms of cricket - Wikipedia

There are six balls in an over, so 20 overs cricket is very exciting and watchable.

Sadly many Americans just don't fully understand the game, which is a shame because it used to be America's national sport.

The History of Cricket in the United States | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

Old 07-08-2018, 11:17 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,616,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Shhhhh. Ok, everyone, look at your screen. It's an 'internet tough guy' in his natural habitat.

Notice how his species has cleverly adapted to turning any conceivable topic of conversation to the 2nd amendment, and then follows up by bragging about shooting people. It is just a mimicry of real manhood, but it is the dance of his people.

And if you listen carefully, you can hear his lonely, plainitive cry, "Freedom!... Freedom!..."
Grow up. Nowhere in my post did I say I shot anyone. Most defensive uses of a firearm do not involve pulling the trigger. In my case, the two thugs ran as soon as they saw my pistol aimed at them.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:51 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There are different types of cricket including limited overs one day and T20.

Forms of cricket - Wikipedia

There are six balls in an over, so 20 overs cricket is very exciting and watchable.

Sadly many Americans just don't fully understand the game, which is a shame because it used to be America's national sport.

The History of Cricket in the United States | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

Well here’s one U.K. citizen, of French extraction, who has as much idea of the rules of cricket as I have of quantum physics.
I freely admit that I’ve never voluntarily watched it, but if I accidentally see it on a TV screen, my eyes glaze over, I find raindrops running down a windshield infinitely more exciting.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:12 PM

16,587 posts, read 10,705,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Well here’s one U.K. citizen, of French extraction, who has as much idea of the rules of cricket as I have of quantum physics.
I freely admit that I’ve never voluntarily watched it, but if I accidentally see it on a TV screen, my eyes glaze over, I find raindrops running down a windshield infinitely more exciting.
Yes, but would you prefer those raindrops to continue running down to an American-style or a European-style license plate? (How's THAT for trying to drag the thread back on topic?)

Old 07-14-2018, 02:38 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Yes, but would you prefer those raindrops to continue running down to an American-style or a European-style license plate? (How's THAT for trying to drag the thread back on topic?)

Well dragged, congratulations Sir, I don’t get a say in it, but I’m perfectly happy with U.S. plates, with individual State names and mottos, I love “Land of Enchantment” and “The Show Me State”, but if all goes well in the Luzhniki stadium, Moscow on Sunday, I’d be happy if French plates had “Champions du Monde” tacked underneath.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:16 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,005,752 times
Just leave our license plates alone. We do not need the European system.
I rather like the 100+ styles of plate we have here in Montana. I also like the fact that I can get a plate celebrating nearly any school, military branch, non-profit organization, etc.

It is great that any vehicle 11 years old or older can get PERMANENT registration. ALL motorcycles (including street-legal ATVs), trailers, and boats get it, too.
The license plates belong to the registered owner of the vehicle, and are removed from the vehicle when it is sold. The owner can then put them on his replacement vehicle.
I just like everything about the Montana vehicle registration system, and have no desire to see it changed.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:56 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,857,049 times
Quote:
Should the USA adopt European-style license plates?

Um, no.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 PM

675 posts, read 647,243 times
I used to have a real fascination with license plates while growing up in the 80's. But lately, I find them too complicated to read because of so many different designs. Plus, they change every few years (which they always have, really, but I kind of wish it had stopped around 1986 or so).

As far as serial numbering systems, that's where I was always OK with variety. I rather liked it, in fact. Idaho with it's green text on white and fractions. California with a 1, then three letters, then three numbers. I think Indiana had one number in a mass of numbers, and it was smaller.

Colorwise, I liked Wisconsin, which I think was basically bright yellow with maybe a hint of lime-greenishness to it (black letters). Nevada had solid blue with white numbers (MT did this a lot more recently, with a state outline surrounding the numbers, I think. I thought it was very nice, but it flopped). Iowa was once solid blue or green. I can't remember now.

Numbers in general were a huge hobby, and license plates were a way to enjoy it.

If I had that Amazon CEO's amount of cash and could just maybe create my own island nation through land reclamation, I'd probably have them look like plates in the USA, but have them longer, and be solidly colored. No pretty pictures. Maybe to accomodate 10 digits., And vanity plates would not be allowed.

Start out with just numbers, then LNNNNNNNNN (L=letter, N=number), then LLNNNNNNNN until there were half letters and half numbers (as a kid, I hated having more letters than numbers on a plate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates