Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 04:39 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I've never understood why people are so hostile towards panhandlers. I mean, I'd do a number on the panhandlers who are aggressive (they'd be out of my face in a big hurry), but why are people so upset over how they make their money? I hear people complaining about all the money panhandlers make. Well, if it's such a lucrative job, then go out and panhandle yourself. If it's something you would never do, then shut up about it and be content with what you already do for a living.

So what if panhandling is an industry? People should consider it a job they would or wouldn't do and let that be the end of it. Then they could move on and find something else to get their panties in a bunch about.

We do not have many panhandlers where I live, but when I do see them, I always give them money. They take enough abuse from people like some of those who have posted here.

Panhandling is hard work. I would venture a guess that most people who engage in this activity are in some way sick - physically, mentally or spiritually. They could be without transportation They could be convicted felons who have served their time, but consequently can not find a place that will hire them. That doesn't make them bad people. They are no worse than white collar criminals who are in the position to hire high powered lawyers and get off.

I too wonder why people are so upset about this. I mean, are you really jealous of beggars?

If you think they are living the high life, feel free to quit your job, and join the ranks of panhandlers. You will stand outside in the scorching heat, or freezing cold. People will mock you, throw stuff at you, and scream "Get a job!". You might be robbed, beaten or worse.

Sounds like fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 06:00 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
A guy like "Irish" can make $75 in cash a few hours.

That beats the heck out of stocking shelves for $7 net per hour.

http://www.krdo.com/news/top-stories...less/747411019

Old 06-29-2018, 06:40 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Here in Utah it's illegal to give money to panhandlers in some areas. Partly it's for safety issues, partly to encourage the poor to use other available resources, and partly because some of what was happening at intersections were drug-deals disguised as money donations.

Legal or not, I hate seeing panhandlers at busy intersections, just like I hate the firemen and other charitable organization collecting money at busy intersections. When I'm behind the wheel, let me focus on driving, thank you very much.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:06 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I have seen people with sob story signs at traffic lights that will hit up the cars that are stopped.

Years ago I was working on a store front in a rough suburb of Boston and I watched a guy hit everyone up for spare change as they were leaving the convenience store. He was dressed nice enough indicating that he was not homeless or in that much need and then I witnessed a changing of the shift. Another guy walked up, they greeted each other, the one emptied the cup and handed it to the new guy who took up the spot in front of the store. He was also dressed too nicely in his "gear" to be that needy but there were many people that gave him their change.

The really sad part was a homeless woman that was sleeping in a door way about 50 feet away. She was ignored.

I have been approached by many panhandlers and most when denied just walk away but I have had a few that get angry and have called me names.

I think panhandlers are a menace.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:41 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Begging is capitalism and the free market in action. I think a true conservative would defend the practice even if refusing to do business with beggars.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:58 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
There's a panhandler in my town who makes a huge show of limping back and forth with his cane alongside the line of cars at the intersection with a "homeless veteran" sign. I happened to pass by that intersection in the early evening, and he was strolling down the street with his sign under his arm, with not even a suggestion of a limp.

My knees are both candidates for knee replacement. I can barely stand on them for more than 10 minutes at a time - anyone who has physical issues requiring a cane would not find it easy to stand/pace for hours at a time panhandling. Business must be good, though.....he has been at that same intersection for over a year.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:46 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
We do not have many panhandlers where I live, but when I do see them, I always give them money. They take enough abuse from people like some of those who have posted here.
I doubt any here have physically or verbally assaulted them other then saying "Get a job"

Quote:
Panhandling is hard work. I would venture a guess that most people who engage in this activity are in some way sick - physically, mentally or spiritually. They could be without transportation They could be convicted felons who have served their time, but consequently can not find a place that will hire them. That doesn't make them bad people. They are no worse than white collar criminals who are in the position to hire high powered lawyers and get off.
There's dozens if not hundreds of companies that are "Felon Friendly" They CAN find work...The child molesters not so much...

Quote:
I too wonder why people are so upset about this. I mean, are you really jealous of beggars?
No, I am not. I pity them in most cases. In some cases I know they're lying. So I ignore them all.

Quote:
If you think they are living the high life, feel free to quit your job, and join the ranks of panhandlers. You will stand outside in the scorching heat, or freezing cold. People will mock you, throw stuff at you, and scream "Get a job!". You might be robbed, beaten or worse.

Sounds like fun.
That happens even to working people. Get off the "Pity them" wagon, it's got 4 flats and a blown engine.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:48 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until the Roma (gypsies) arrive. But they probably have more sense than to target the US.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:43 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I wonder if some of these stories about begging being an “industry” are lies and urban legends used by people to justify their contempt for the poor and unfortunate.

When I see beggars I’m reminded of the story of Saint Martin of Tours. Christians should think about it.
My guess is that many of those who responded with such contempt, self identify as "Christians". However, they are not responding that way.

+1, Irishtom!

Old 06-29-2018, 05:01 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I can't remember where I read this, but yes panhandling has become an industry. Some of the people you see at intersections with their cardboard signs have a boss. The boss assigns intersections and takes a cut of the donations.

Maybe I'll Google later to find some links.
Really? Who would have thought that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates