Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 06:13 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I agree but I’d bet that there are a lot of people who almost expect some explanation. I feel like it’s sort of a power trip for the potential giver.

The only reason they bother with the word “Hungry” is because it’s a discomfort word for US. Most people can’t imagine a discomfort worse than “hungry”, or “cold”. We get nervous if our gas gauge dips to 1/8th a tank. That’s why “out of gas” works too.

They know a discomfort worse than hunger. Worse than cold & worse than stranded. I know that discomfort & it ranks 2nd only to oxygen deprivation.

That’s why they are hustling. Wouldn’t you fight back if someone tried to strangle you & you couldn’t breathe? Hold your head under water? Sure, you’d fight.

I truly have almost nothing to give. I’ve been unemployed for 12 years to be my disabled child’s caregiver. The most I’ve ever given to a panhandler was $5. He was obviously starting to get dope sick & didn’t have much time left before he couldn’t panhandle anymore.

He was happy with my $5, seemed very grateful & told me “God bless you ma’am; I’m going to get me some food right now!” So I asked him “Why would you do that?” He was stunned & just looked at me, so I said “Just go get what your needing”. He answered “You know. Thank you”.

Nobody better criticize me for “enabling” either. Withdrawal can kill. By the time someone is less than an hour away from delirium tremors or acute opiate withdrawal; that enabling ship has sailed. They aren’t far from being another transient in a paupers grave. At least with another 12 hours granted, anything could happen. Maybe they could wind up arrested & being medically detoxed in jail.

When they say “hungry” or “out of gas”; that’s just their way of dumbing it down for us.
I agree. It's a power trip. We can't help people in this situation in a long term or meaningful way. First of all they have to want help. Secondly, even if they asked to go to detox, few if any of us have the money to send every beggar that we encounter to a rehab center. Also, rehab doesn't always work.

You are not "enabling". I do the same thing. You are helping another person ON THEIR TERMS, and WITHOUT JUDGEMENT. We have no idea what these people have been through, or what demons they struggle with.

I agree. "Just get what you are needing."

They don't need a sermon. They need money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 09:28 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until the Roma (gypsies) arrive. But they probably have more sense than to target the US.
Um, there are gypsies that live in the US and have for decades. Dateline did a segment on them and even the TV show The Streets of San Francisco did an episode on them once back in the 70s.

The Dateline episode was interesting. It highlighted the area where they live and showed the huge houses they live in. They also drive some very nice cars. They also have coming out parties or something similar and marry off the girls at a very young age.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:46 PM

101 posts, read 451,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I wonder if some of these stories about begging being an “industry” are lies and urban legends used by people to justify their contempt for the poor and unfortunate.

When I see beggars I’m reminded of the story of Saint Martin of Tours. Christians should think about it.
I wonder if the assumption that the stories are entirely made up is the result of failing to do a simple google search:

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/05/24/...l-panhandlers/

And in regard to christians, I don't know that story about St. Martin...or really any stories of any saints. But I'd be surprised if the bible (or any religious text) ordered anyone to knowingly allow themselves to be scammed. Actually...doesn't the bible say some interesting things about people who trick and deceive other people?

I have purchased food many times for panhandlers. Actually, usually I have bought food for people who were clearly street-bound but weren't actively asking for anything. I started doing it that way because I got tired of buying food for people with signs who either rejected the hot meal I'd just purchased or groceries from the store they were hanging out in front of, telling me things like, "Can't you read? I need money not food." So then I started just giving food to people who really looked like they needed it.

I don't have contempt for the poor. My family lives at the poverty income level so technically we ARE poor (at least by U.S. standards). I do have contempt for people who, out of selfishness and greed, choose to try to manipulate money out of families like mine (my husband and I both work, we do not rely on ANY government services) simply because it's easier for them than getting a job.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:40 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
There are virtually no panhandlers in eastern South Dakota... too sparsely populated and gets way too cold in the winter for them to make it. In any case, a fool and their money often get parted. There are plenty of phony charities out there that target the elderly. I was shocked when I went through my grandmother's mail.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
In SoCal there are more panhandlers than you can shake a stick at. Some intersections have one of each corner. They also camp out at store entrances and even wander the parking lots. On top of that they can be quite aggressive! I really wish people would quit giving these people money. Food, sure, but not money.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:01 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I fear that panhandling is only going to get worse as more people come to America that do not have employable skills. There is already a language barrier they have to overcome and once the Dems open the borders and grant amnesty to millions I don't know where all these low skilled poor people will find jobs that are already held by many minorities.

It is a real mess that is waiting to happen and if the Dems get their wish for a recession to get Trump out of office we might be heading for some really hard times in America.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
It's only an industry because people feed it.... For example they say don't feed the pigeons as they will crap everywhere. They say don't feed the alligators as they lose their fear of humans and will end of attacking them.

I carry the same logic over to panhandlers.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:19 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. It's a power trip. We can't help people in this situation in a long term or meaningful way. First of all they have to want help. Secondly, even if they asked to go to detox, few if any of us have the money to send every beggar that we encounter to a rehab center. Also, rehab doesn't always work.

You are not "enabling". I do the same thing. You are helping another person ON THEIR TERMS, and WITHOUT JUDGEMENT. We have no idea what these people have been through, or what demons they struggle with.

I agree. "Just get what you are needing."

They don't need a sermon. They need money.
They do NOT "Need" drugs. That's a stupid way to deal with the past. You cannot drink, shoot or smoke away the past. It is there. Being lazy and refusing to put in actual work is what they are doing. That shouldn't be rewarded...

Old 07-05-2018, 03:20 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
The numbers have grown so I would guess that might make it an industry or sorts. It makes me feel uncomfortable perhaps due to my country upbringing....or something.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
It's only an industry because...
...because they have the time to sit around together and organize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates