Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

You want to end societies ills?

Get the Government out of raising kids and taking care of families. They have done a terrible job at this.

Put dads back in the home. I see it all the time at the hospital, a young pregnant girl walking the corridor outside our maternity department. Sometimes alone. Most of the time with a family member or friend. So many times without the father of the baby. The thought of the day is that you don't need a man.

Rebuild the family unit. Parents in the home raising their kids. A child has a right to have two loving parents in the home.

Bring prayer back to school. Encourage people to go to Church.

Parents read to your kids. Start when the kids are new born. Teach your kids how to read. Read books that teach good values. When your kids are older have them read. Have them spend more time reading and less time watching TV or playing Video games.

Build a relationship of trust with your kids when they are young and continue on into their teen years. Be an active part of your kids education. Know their teachers. Go to back to school night. Go to parent teacher conferences. Help out at the school. Teach your kids to have respect for their teachers.

Know your kids friends. Invite them into your home. Get to know them. Make sure that you are involved with your kids friends. Also, no reason for kids to go hide out in the room with their friends.

Computer use in the home should be in an area where everyone knows what is going on. Too many temptations out there. Too many people out there that want to take advantage of kids. Always be that parent that monitors your kids time on the computer and also the TV.

Parents need to get selfishness out of the home. As a parent your responsibility is toward the kids. Your job is to raise children that will respect others, respect themselves, and be good examples in the community.

The only way to fix the Nation is to fix the home. Fix all the homes and the Nation will fix it self

Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 PM

378 posts, read 230,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Get the Government out of raising kids and taking care of families. They have done a terrible job at this.

Put dads back in the home. I see it all the time at the hospital, a young pregnant girl walking the corridor outside our maternity department. Sometimes alone. Most of the time with a family member or friend. So many times without the father of the baby. The thought of the day is that you don't need a man.

Rebuild the family unit. Parents in the home raising their kids. A child has a right to have two loving parents in the home.

Parents read to your kids. Start when the kids are new born. Teach your kids how to read. Read books that teach good values. When your kids are older have them read. Have them spend more time reading and less time watching TV or playing Video games.

Build a relationship of trust with your kids when they are young and continue on into their teen years. Be an active part of your kids education. Know their teachers. Go to back to school night. Go to parent teacher conferences. Help out at the school. Teach your kids to have respect for their teachers.

Know your kids friends. Invite them into your home. Get to know them. Make sure that you are involved with your kids friends. Also, no reason for kids to go hide out in the room with their friends.

Computer use in the home should be in an area where everyone knows what is going on. Too many temptations out there. Too many people out there that want to take advantage of kids. Always be that parent that monitors your kids time on the computer and also the TV.

Parents need to get selfishness out of the home. As a parent your responsibility is toward the kids. Your job is to raise children that will respect others, respect themselves, and be good examples in the community.

The only way to fix the Nation is to fix the home. Fix all the homes and the Nation will fix it self
And the golden question is how exactly do we go about doing all these things.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:

You had me at everything except this (which is kind of ironic because my husband is a minister). Mostly because the wording excludes non-Christian belief systems. Otherwise, I’m totally on board with people nurturing their spirituality; I believe that beginning the school day with a period of time blocked off for personal prayer or meditation can have a very positive influence, as can [URL="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21647811/"]yoga[/URL] (see hyperlink)

Church... eh. Some are awesome, some are toxic and devisive. Most just want your money. But if we replace the word “church” with house of worship, anywhere in the great outdoors, etc, I’m cool with that. Anything that fosters a sense of accountability and spiritual well-being.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:

Capitalism has made for 60 hour work weeks where the man can rarely even...with almost never being home....support a household. So not only does he have to be away more all waking hours, wifey often has to chip in too.

No more pensions. Americans get the least vacation time, sick days and family leave in the civilized world. Horrible health care for double the price.

You say government does a terrible job....but it's the LACK of government that is breaking apart families. I know too many guys who worked their arses off...and guess what the reward was? They got rid of the 3 people around them and told them to do the job of all four. Then, when they only had enough mojo left to walk into their bedroom and flop down on the bed...couldn't even face the world.

The security of gainful employment, pensions, health care, etc. is all gone. As far as corporate America is concerned, the family doesn't exist....just a hassle to have those women workers who might get preggy....so, get rid of them and hire people who don't want families and kids, right? It will pay off.....

Who can "put dads back" if they are making lower wages and benefits? If they are paying off medical bills and student loans?

C'mon, be real. It is our system of "money is everything" that is destroying our culture. After all, how can you have a family, a neighborhood and a culture if you don't have a waking moment during the prime of your life?

Think about it. NYC values. Greed is Good. The Wolf of Wall Street. Don the Con.
All point in one direction...ME ME ME ME ME.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:32 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Capitalism has made for 60 hour work weeks where the man can rarely even...with almost never being home....support a household. So not only does he have to be away more all waking hours, wifey often has to chip in too.

No more pensions. Americans get the least vacation time, sick days and family leave in the civilized world. Horrible health care for double the price.

You say government does a terrible job....but it's the LACK of government that is breaking apart families. I know too many guys who worked their arses off...and guess what the reward was? They got rid of the 3 people around them and told them to do the job of all four. Then, when they only had enough mojo left to walk into their bedroom and flop down on the bed...couldn't even face the world.

The security of gainful employment, pensions, health care, etc. is all gone. As far as corporate America is concerned, the family doesn't exist....just a hassle to have those women workers who might get preggy....so, get rid of them and hire people who don't want families and kids, right? It will pay off.....

Who can "put dads back" if they are making lower wages and benefits? If they are paying off medical bills and student loans?

C'mon, be real. It is our system of "money is everything" that is destroying our culture. After all, how can you have a family, a neighborhood and a culture if you don't have a waking moment during the prime of your life?

Think about it. NYC values. Greed is Good. The Wolf of Wall Street. Don the Con.
Look for a different job. The whole world isn't like that.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:13 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times
To
Quote:

Everything plus teaching teens about birth control, teaching children churches aren't the answer even if you go, that theres lots of religions so don't get too hung up on one and if you don't have religion, you're fine, that depending on the government is fine for a little while, that women don't get pregnant but instead are impregnated which puts the dude BACK into the equation, that single parenting is a real possibility with 50 percent divorce rate, that depending on the government a second time for a little while is okay, and save money for failed birth control or water heater or car maintenance. The devil is in the details.

Last edited by Middletwin; 07-22-2018 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Word

Old 07-22-2018, 01:12 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Good points about how the working world has changed.

However, no one is forcing people to have kids---especially out of wedlock. Too many people are bringing kids into the world all the while knowing that they don't have the money or the tools to properly raise a child.

"Wifey"? What the...?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:

LBJ's war on poverty has done little to end poverty and everything to create more people that need assistance. The war on poverty created an entire society of people that are supported by the Government. A man? You don't need a man when Uncle Sam is feeding you, clothing you, and paying the rent. The war on poverty has only created it. It is time to eliminate the social programs that are destroying the family unit.

With the Government taking care of things who needs a dad? Remove the Government assistance option and young women will be more selective in who they choose to have children with. Yes it is the woman that holds this power. Imagine all the young men that are suddenly wanting something that the young women have and the only way to get it is to have a good job, have a career, or own a business. If the only way for men to get the women that they want is to do something with their life then men will move mountains to make that happen.

The above takes care of this one.

First off everyone has to realize that our Constitution protects the Church from the state and not the other way around. Our Founding Fathers were looking for freedom of Religion. Separation of Church and state was designed to keep the State (Government) from harming Religion. Prayer in all its forms should be encouraged.

This can't be that hard to do can it? We have 6 kids and with busy lives we did it. Both my wife and I worked and at some times I held down a full time and a part time job and I still read to our kids.

I don't understand how this would be hard to do. I have done this since we had kids. We have always known our kids teachers. We have always helped out at the school. The teachers love this. Most teachers I have met are happy when the kids parents are involved. I have received calls and emails from the teachers when they were concerned. Not every kid gets this level of attention because the parents are not involved.

We have always done this. It has been great getting to know our kids friends and their parents as well.The friends know what to expect in our home. For example we do not watch rated R movies in our home. A friend of our sons had brought another kid over for a sleep over. This kid had brought some questionable movies to watch. Our son's friend told this other kid that they could not watch those kind of movies in the house. The kid told him, no one will know. My son's friend told this kid that our son would not allow it.

Not too hard to monitor the computer or devices. We have an area that the devices get charged at night while the kids sleep. No temptation if the device is somewhere else.

The parents need to work on this. It is not hard to do when you realize the responsibility you have to raise good kids.

You can not fix the Nation without fixing the home. Fix it one home at a time. Fix your own home. I can not worry about other homes. I can only worry about my home. That is all it takes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
And the golden question is how exactly do we go about doing all these things.
It takes you doing this in your own home. One home at a time.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
You had me at everything except this (which is kind of ironic because my husband is a minister). Mostly because the wording excludes non-Christian belief systems. Otherwise, I’m totally on board with people nurturing their spirituality; I believe that beginning the school day with a period of time blocked off for personal prayer or meditation can have a very positive influence, as can yoga (see hyperlink)

Church... eh. Some are awesome, some are toxic and devisive. Most just want your money. But if we replace the word “church” with house of worship, anywhere in the great outdoors, etc, I’m cool with that. Anything that fosters a sense of accountability and spiritual well-being.
Let them worship how they may. I am fine with that. Freedom of religion or choice to do without. The choice to do without should not limit others choice to have Religion in their life. The State has to protect our freedom to worship as we see fit. Or not to worship. It is not there to limit our choices though. We can not take God out of the Classroom.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:47 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times
She never left, students can believe in her, if they want, or many gods if they want. Some can even go to a prayer room and bow to the east. I'm talking about public schools which are funded by tax paying citizens having a plethora of belief systems, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.