Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 AM

927 posts, read 969,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
They are not. Having a very small group make such statement does not make the statement true. I imagine I can find a group who thinks the Earth is flat, does not make it true.

Society for some reason gives a lot of weight to a vocal few, sidelining/ignoring the masses who are indifferent and/or do not agree with those few. Look at the new media stories that use Twitter as some sort of source material, three tweets all of a sudden means a lot now in regards to the subject.
Good perspective, but not always true.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:55 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Just speaking for myself, I could not care less what Western New Yorkers say about NYC.
So you've never heard that type of discussion?

Old 11-12-2018, 11:14 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. Don't try to manipulate the discussion. The Redskins is an "Indian" team name.

Have you researched why American Indians think it's offensive. Could it be because it has NOTHING to do with anything complimentary?
Except that the term has been used as a derisive slur, not unlike the n word.

That's notably different than something like "Chief," which implies a position of leadership and seniority and has meaning outside of Native American culture.

Using the Fighting Irish isn't a valid comparison. The Irish are/were heavily Catholic. Notre Dame is a Catholic University, and for many, many years, one of the few elite institutions where Catholics weren't discriminated against. Their donors, leadership, student body, etc, encompassed Irish and Irish Americans, so they weren't on the outside looking in when the team was named.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:25 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I say the offense lives in the brain of the beholder. They often get upset at the most ridiculous things and have no problem complaining aloud about them.

To them when a team uses a Native American name for itself they see, hear and tie a negative connotation to it.

When positive thinking people hear a name of a team bearing a Native American name we think about positive characteristics like Nobility, Strength and Bravery.

It seems to be the ones that are complaining about these names are ones that have a habit of casting everyone as some type of victim.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:47 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
I used to run the Pow Wow circuit a decade or so ago as both a trader and a dancer. There was one young fancy/grass dancer I would run into from the West Coast that wore a Washington Redskins bomber jacket, and no one gave him crap about it. He was simply a fan of the team.

Maybe stuff like this is a lot like the use of the infamous 'N' word - it just depends on who is doing it?

The Washington Redskins are 3 times Super Bowl winners at this point.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 11-12-2018 at 11:59 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 12:39 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
For the point of this conversation, I'm setting aside "Redskins" because its use as a racial slur is a different conversation.

I'm hearing (mostly from the far left) that virtually ALL team names related to that culture is racist. But what is so bad about a team named the Chiefs (or something similar). I don't understand why that would be anymore offensive to a Native American than say, the "Cowboys" are to some folks in Wyoming or "Mariners" are to boaters.

I'm genuinely curious what is offensive about this. I would like for someone who does feel they are offensive to explain it to me. Maybe it is super obvious and I'm just missing it, but I just don't get it.

Having some native blood, I have given this some thought. To me, it makes sense if the team and the tribe the team is named for have some real commonality - for example, if the Denver Broncos, with their rather cerebral play book, wanted to adopt the name "Cherokees", I personally would be OK with it. Likewise the Raiders could adopt the "Comanche" name and the parallels of ferocity would make it a good fit. Of course these are just stereotypes, but, my understanding of these two tribes is that they were that way, for the most part.

While the "Redskins" have been set aside, to me, what's offensive is that the team is just plain bad, more than that the name is considered by some to be a slur.

As to why certain Native "leaders" consider this offensive, it seems to me that this is because they fill their days with efforts to find something to be offended about. I put "leaders" in quotes because a real leader would be working to bring some practical benefit to his/her people rather than grumbling about names of various sports teams.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:35 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
They're NOT offensive. There is a small segment of revolutionaries who hate our society and want everything changed.

Team names are typically chosen to denote local culture--Yankees, Houston Oilers, Dallas Cowboys, Oregon Ducks, Brooklyn/LA Dodgers--or something fierce: Lions, Tigers, Broncos.
Warriors, Chiefs, Indians, these all denote the warrior class.

It's a compliment. Only social injustice warriors will find "offense" where there is none. These people are junior tyrants and control freaks, this argument has NOTHING to do with "respect," it has to do with forcing one's will on others.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:23 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
They're NOT offensive. There is a small segment of revolutionaries who hate our society and want everything changed.

Team names are typically chosen to denote local culture--Yankees, Houston Oilers, Dallas Cowboys, Oregon Ducks, Brooklyn/LA Dodgers--or something fierce: Lions, Tigers, Broncos.
Warriors, Chiefs, Indians, these all denote the warrior class.

It's a compliment. Only social injustice warriors will find "offense" where there is none. These people are junior tyrants and control freaks, this argument has NOTHING to do with "respect," it has to do with forcing one's will on others.
are you a native american?? Do you actually know what goes into being a native american warrior??

LOL you really have the nerve to mention "forcing one's will" on some one. After centuries of white America brutally subjecting native Americans and literally killing their culture, I feel that they have EARNED the right to take offense to any use of their identity.

So may I suggest that if America wants "respect" they start acknowledging that they were the ones that did their best to wipe out an entire civilization not to mention the enslavement on an entire other group of humans.

lol,
Now you (general use in the place of white america) are getting a taste of your own medicine and want to cry "stop" it. boo hoo

The native Americans want their cultural identification in their control. they have that right.

Talk to me after we get a sports team called the New York Honkies then we'll chat.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
are you a native american?? Do you actually know what goes into being a native american warrior??

LOL you really have the nerve to mention "forcing one's will" on some one. After centuries of white America brutally subjecting native Americans and literally killing their culture, I feel that they have EARNED the right to take offense to any use of their identity.

So may I suggest that if America wants "respect" they start acknowledging that they were the ones that did their best to wipe out an entire civilization not to mention the enslavement on an entire other group of humans.

lol,
Now you (general use in the place of white america) are getting a taste of your own medicine and want to cry "stop" it. boo hoo

The native Americans want their cultural identification in their control. they have that right.

Talk to me after we get a sports team called the New York Honkies then we'll chat.

Apparently, they don't give a damn.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.172d1829a9ca

Old 11-12-2018, 03:22 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Apparently, they don't give a damn.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.172d1829a9ca
And that's cool but the point is its THEIR identity and they have the right to say what they find offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates