Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
For the point of this conversation, I'm setting aside "Redskins" because its use as a racial slur is a different conversation.

I'm hearing (mostly from the far left) that virtually ALL team names related to that culture is racist. But what is so bad about a team named the Chiefs (or something similar). I don't understand why that would be anymore offensive to a Native American than say, the "Cowboys" are to some folks in Wyoming or "Mariners" are to boaters.

I'm genuinely curious what is offensive about this. I would like for someone who does feel they are offensive to explain it to me. Maybe it is super obvious and I'm just missing it, but I just don't get it.
It's not the "left" that has an issue with these names. Actual Native American people find these references offensive. You could easily Google this.

It seems this thread is a poorly veiled attempt by certain people feigning offense at the imposition at actually being polite to other people who aren't of their same ethnicity.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
It's interesting. Nobody adopts a "mascot" to disparage it, or because they think the "mascot" is weak.

All teams adopt a "mascot" that they revere, and think the mascot is tough and respectable.

*shrugs* I'm thinking of the Needville High School in Texas, The Home of the Fighting Blue Jays. Because yes, Blue Jays are tough.

So are the Native American Tribes that colleges and high schools and middle schools have adopted as mascots.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:08 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's interesting. Nobody adopts a "mascot" to disparage it, or because they think the "mascot" is weak.

All teams adopt a "mascot" that they revere, and think the mascot is tough and respectable.

*shrugs* I'm thinking of the Needville High School in Texas, The Home of the Fighting Blue Jays. Because yes, Blue Jays are tough.

So are the Native American Tribes that colleges and high schools and middle schools have adopted as mascots.
So let me ask you this Clara: The Washington Redskins...how many Redskins fans do you think could even name the Indian tribes that lived in the D.C., Maryland, and Virginia area before whites took over?

Old 11-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So let me ask you this Clara: The Washington Redskins...how many Redskins fans do you think could even name the Indian tribes that lived in the D.C., Maryland, and Virginia area before whites took over?
I have no idea.

But I think the RedSkin fans revere their mascot, even if they don't know all that much history.

I don't believe any team has ever adopted a mascot they don't hold in high esteem.

For example, the Illegal Immigrants. The rats. The flies. Nobody has them as their mascots, to just disrespect.

Washington fans revere the "Redskins", without disparaging them.

*shrugs*

Old 11-11-2018, 08:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Thank you for making my point for me -- a sports team name that offends no one.
And here I thought I was making fun of the whole sports team controversy. I guess the joke fell Flatbush.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I have no idea.

But I think the RedSkin fans revere their mascot, even if they don't know all that much history.

I don't believe any team has ever adopted a mascot they don't hold in high esteem.

For example, the Illegal Immigrants. The rats. The flies. Nobody has them as their mascots, to just disrespect.

Washington fans revere the "Redskins", without disparaging them.

*shrugs*
They don't "revere" the Indians at all. They're stuck on a name they can't even explain.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Who would get upset at a team named the Atlanta Deadnecks?

Old 11-12-2018, 06:36 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
We should just give every team an alpha-numeric name to avoid all possibility of offending anyone.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish will now be known as Team 3.41GL7.
Pittsburgh Steelers will be Team 27.62QPK.
New York Yankees will be Team 4798HkT.

And the world shall live in peace.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:02 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times
The Seminoles approve of Florida State's football team being named after them. So it's not all Indians.

I hear a lot of complaining about the Washington Redskins. But no one boycotts them except when they're losing.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,128 times
Quote:
And yet people from the New York City area get awfully upset when we Western New Yorkers say that NYC is not really a part of the real New York State.
Just speaking for myself, I could not care less what Western New Yorkers say about NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates