Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 10:27 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I think you forget a big one, the growing number of people who seem to be anti-science, whether they are anti-vaxxers or climate change deniers.
Sixty years ago, the epidemiological evidence actually suggested that smoking did not cause lung cancer. Big Tobacco funded a campaign against “junk science” that literally resulted in having confidence intervals changed in academia & industrial settings, in order to reflect decreased risk. Those parameters were never addressed & have never been changed. Your science has been manipulated to deny causation.

The only scientist that would say something as stupid as; ‘the science is settled!” ... Is a scientist who has been a victim of propaganda, or is propagandizing.

Thinking & questioning is not anti-science. Demanding that we don’t think & question; is. I wonder; Are you seeing more “anti-science” people?

Or are you actually seeing more about “anti-science” people? There is a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 05:44 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Sixty years ago, the epidemiological evidence actually suggested that smoking did not cause lung cancer. Big Tobacco funded a campaign against “junk science” that literally resulted in having confidence intervals changed in academia & industrial settings, in order to reflect decreased risk. Those parameters were never addressed & have never been changed. Your science has been manipulated to deny causation.

The only scientist that would say something as stupid as; ‘the science is settled!” ... Is a scientist who has been a victim of propaganda, or is propagandizing.

Thinking & questioning is not anti-science. Demanding that we don’t think & question; is. I wonder; Are you seeing more “anti-science” people?

Or are you actually seeing more about “anti-science” people? There is a huge difference.
I saw an old ad for cigarettes where the image was a beautiful young women and the copy was about how great cigarettes are because they contribute to low-weight babies. So smoking cigarettes makes childbirth easier!!!!

The science is settled!!! Pregnant women need to smoke up!!!

Old 04-08-2019, 10:04 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
We are in a dark age. News is largely lies and propaganda, education is indoctrination of left wing thought, PC is everywhere. Science is complete distorted by PC thought. Thats a dark age.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I'm sure lots of people think I'm speaking like an alarmist but I can't stop thinking about this. As far as I'm concerned, it's likely that society is entering a new Dark Ages because of a combination of a culture that tries to brainwash people and the progress of technology. What is a way we prove this wrong?
  • Entertainment and pop culture hitting a dead-end
  • Media is concentrated by only 5 large companies and blinding people away from the truth
  • Advanced technology allowing spying and invading privacy, and potentially threatening mass job losses
  • Men are no longer men and women are no longer women
  • Nuclear war (or even more deadly advanced weapons) is potentially a looming threat again
  • Living is harder because everything is way more expensive and income hasn't quite caught up

Admittedly it is little Western-centric, but I don't doubt it can apply to the non-West. The West is just what I happen to be more familiar with.
For me the most important are Fed, Debt and GMO. This 3 can potentially ruin everything , very slowly than a nuclear war or internet.

And more scary is most people dont even know about this.

And those brainy people blaming left for this, dont even understand that the 3 items as well.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Agree. Everyone's entitled to their opinions but I can't stand these threads where the poster doesn't back up their opinions with evidence. Worse yet are when those opinions are factually incorrect. I'm referring to the last statement about "Living is harder because everything is way more expensive and income hasn't quite caught up". There are statistics that show that real wages have remained stagnant for the past 40 years, not gone down, which I believe is what the OP is implying. So the OP loses credibility with that assertion. I think the OP is intellectually lazy.
Or just very young.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
[quote=ghostee;54866440]
  • Living is harder because everything is way more expensive and income hasn't quite caught up

Quite is an understatement, as the average U.S. wage is $54K; which even 20 years ago wasn't all that much.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 PM

661 posts, read 521,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We are in a dark age. News is largely lies and propaganda, education is indoctrination of left wing thought, PC is everywhere. Science is complete distorted by PC thought. Thats a dark age.
How could I survive in it?

Old 04-08-2019, 01:09 PM

661 posts, read 521,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
For me the most important are Fed, Debt and GMO. This 3 can potentially ruin everything , very slowly than a nuclear war or internet.

And more scary is most people dont even know about this.

And those brainy people blaming left for this, dont even understand that the 3 items as well.
Well, somebody has to take the blame.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 AM

952 posts, read 324,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I'm sure lots of people think I'm speaking like an alarmist but I can't stop thinking about this. As far as I'm concerned, it's likely that society is entering a new Dark Ages because of a combination of a culture that tries to brainwash people and the progress of technology. What is a way we prove this wrong?
  • Entertainment and pop culture hitting a dead-end
  • Media is concentrated by only 5 large companies and blinding people away from the truth
  • Advanced technology allowing spying and invading privacy, and potentially threatening mass job losses
  • Men are no longer men and women are no longer women
  • Nuclear war (or even more deadly advanced weapons) is potentially a looming threat again

Admittedly it is little Western-centric, but I don't doubt it can apply to the non-West. The West is just what I happen to be more familiar with.
Another devastating factor is that for the first time in my lifetime more than 50% of children born today are born without both an active father & mother .
If you were to ask a prison full of inmates to give a show of hands of those who had a positive relationship with their father you would be hard pressed to find a hand up .
The societal costs are incalculable .

Old 04-12-2019, 09:34 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Do you know what a Dark Age is? It is the collapse of government and the disappearance of knowledge. It is a constant fear of attack and plunder, with the real possibility of being taken into slavery. It is the fragmentation of organizing bodies such as religious, educational, medical. It is a shortening of our lifespan. It might well be a decimation of a large part of the world’s population.

If you want to know what a Dark Age is, read about the collapse of the Roman Empire. It took hundreds of years to regain what was lost.

What we are experiencing now is not a Dark Age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates