Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 10:43 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,063,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Maybe it's because our pets give us an unconditional love...
And are much less expensive than children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 10:47 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
And are much less expensive than children.
Not to mention they won’t lock me in a cage then throw me in a lake with freezing water.

And people wonder why I prefer the company of my dogs

Old 11-08-2019, 10:51 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,647,066 times
People are exhausting and we can't really let our guard down with other humans. Others judge us according to our social status, appearance, age, income level, political or religious beliefs, and many other superficial traits. Animals, on the other hand, are relaxing and rejuvenating and interactions with them are mostly positive. They don't care if they live in a mansion or a shack, or if you are young or old, or beautiful or not, or whom you voted for last election.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:00 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I'm one of those people that usually likes dogs more than I like people...lol. Dogs love you unconditionally and won't talk behind your back like many people will. They don't hold grudges or judge you.. All they ask for is your love.
You shouldn’t want unconditional love. You shouldn’t fear being judged. In fact, there is no such thing as unconditional love. It’s a myth. Love is based on value, and should be earned. Wanting others to love you “unconditionally”, meaning just because you exist, is irrational. Even family should not be loved unconditionally once they are adults and are capable of earning their love.

And animals don’t “love” anyone. There is a survival attachment, and it is expressed as affection. All of which we can enjoy, but we should not raise or refer to that limited affection in the same way as human love. It’s just not in the same league. In fact, if you die or leave, and your pet gets a new owner, you will be forgotten in a few days, totally replaced by the new survival guarantor.

Animal “love” is a human mischaracterization. It’s anthropomorphic. It’s actually a pleasant escape from human interaction, which can sometimes be too much work. Which, within limits, is beneficial and fun. However, it can be taken to an unhealthy extreme. Hence the phenomenon of “cat” women who live alone and accumulate multiple felines and avoid human contact. Overindulging in pets is indicative of a psychological problem. It’s escapism, just like alcoholism, gambling, hoarding, astrology. Even religion.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:06 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I only have a cat too, and I feel about him similarly as you do yours. He is always sleeping by the door for me when I get home from work late.

Granted the little s--- will bite me in the face if we roughhouse or claw the heck out of my leg when I walk by him, and he's a stubborn lil Norwegian Snow cat, he's still like my son/brother/best friend in one. haha
I'd never heard of that before so I looked it up. Wow! They are beautiful, luxurious looking cats with distinctive faces and eyes. Who would not want to snuggle with a pet that has such a gorgeous, thick winter coat like that?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=norwe...=1573235993099

Old 11-08-2019, 11:27 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You shouldn’t want unconditional love. You shouldn’t fear being judged. In fact, there is no such thing as unconditional love. It’s a myth. Love is based on value, and should be earned. Wanting others to love you “unconditionally”, meaning just because you exist, is irrational. Even family should not be loved unconditionally once they are adults and are capable of earning their love.

And animals don’t “love” anyone. There is a survival attachment, and it is expressed as affection. All of which we can enjoy, but we should not raise or refer to that limited affection in the same way as human love. It’s just not in the same league. In fact, if you die or leave, and your pet gets a new owner, you will be forgotten in a few days, totally replaced by the new survival guarantor.

Animal “love” is a human mischaracterization. It’s anthropomorphic. It’s actually a pleasant escape from human interaction, which can sometimes be too much work. Which, within limits, is beneficial and fun. However, it can be taken to an unhealthy extreme. Hence the phenomenon of “cat” women who live alone and accumulate multiple felines and avoid human contact. Overindulging in pets is indicative of a psychological problem. It’s escapism, just like alcoholism, gambling, hoarding, astrology. Even religion.
That said I will still take my dogs over 70% of people I meet

Old 11-08-2019, 11:39 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
I have a dog, whom I love. He is a companion animal and a family member. Same with our rescue rabbit. But no, I don't love animals more or less than human beings. I don't believe that animals are any more pure and noble than humans. If anything, it's humans assigning human emotions like "love" and "hate" onto animals. Animals are instinctively driven by the need to survive.

My dog's love is not totally unconditional either. I feed him, provide for him, and give him affection. Those are technically "conditions". Also you have to earn an animal's trust. I adopt rescue dogs, I know this first hand. Things aren't just sunshine roses farts and dog biscuits.

I definitely don't understand the comparison between children and animals. Animals aren't children in fur suits.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:04 PM

35,089 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Is it conflict? Is it fear? What is it? Cats and dogs don't stab you in the back, or gossip about you? I know it seems like a silly topic, but to me it's kind of fascinating that fellow humans dislike their own humankind more than they do animals.
Dogs' love is unconditional, basically. They seem to know your emotions and what to do. Whether it's a happy tail-wag or to bury their head in your lap they have the right instincts.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:10 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I have a dog, whom I love. He is a companion animal and a family member. Same with our rescue rabbit. But no, I don't love animals more or less than human beings. I don't believe that animals are any more pure and noble than humans. If anything, it's humans assigning human emotions like "love" and "hate" onto animals. Animals are instinctively driven by the need to survive.

My dog's love is not totally unconditional either. I feed him, provide for him, and give him affection. Those are technically "conditions". Also you have to earn an animal's trust. I adopt rescue dogs, I know this first hand. Things aren't just sunshine roses farts and dog biscuits.

I definitely don't understand the comparison between children and animals. Animals aren't children in fur suits.
That's sensible and good points. Also most pets are tamed and domesticated. Animals not purposely bred to be friendly to humans aren't affectionate. If humans were bred specifically to be affectionate and docile and you fed, provided and gave them affection they'd probably be more affectionate and lovey dovey too lol.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:12 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,876,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am not sure "dislike" is the correct emotion here, I think it is more likely that some people are more comfortable around animals than around people. People are complicated to deal with, with all of our emotions, our egos, our pettiness at times. I can easily see why animals are preferred.
I explained to a Libertarian once, that dogs have the right to urinate on a fire hydrant - because that is what they do.

The guy god-angry with me thinking it would be impossible to me to understand "freedom".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates