Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 07:26 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,398,426 times

Advertisements

I love people and I love my dogs and cat. I have a pretty large social circle online and in person. The dogs enable me to meet other people through dog activities. And yes, there is this trend of calling one's pets your "fur kids." Apologies to anyone who has read at least part of this spiel from me.

So here it goes: Dogs (and possibly cats) have co-evolved with us. They are our evolutionary puzzle pieces. They do a lot of the emotional work that we used to have to do on our own. They instinctively soothe us when we are upset. They are reliable. They literally live for us. There is a lot of appeal in that to certain types of people. For myself, my dogs are very attentive, as is my cat. If I am upset, they are at my side sharing affection and providing their calming presence. I appreciate that beyond words. Yet, they provide more emotional support than I would ever ask of any person.

I don't get along with pets better than people, but my life would be much poorer without either. I cannot imagine a life without my pets any more than I could imagine a life without my loved ones. The relationships are VERY different, but both types are important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 09:51 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,814,354 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ1NLev-CwY

Old 11-10-2019, 10:10 PM

50,945 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Actually Collies and Golden Retrievers kill lots of young children.
Golden retrievers kill “lots of young children”?? Anything to back that up?

Old 11-11-2019, 01:02 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,508,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Don’t pay any attention. He has something against Golden’s and other popular breeds. He probably owns a pit I kid I kid..,don’t hate me pit lovers

Old 11-11-2019, 01:14 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
Backstabbing is seen less in animals

Old 11-11-2019, 04:21 AM

35,188 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Their tails are lethal weapons.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:33 AM

50,945 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Their tails are lethal weapons.
So let’s see the stats on these deaths please

Old 11-11-2019, 06:55 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's not true. I know for a fact that dogs disagree with their owners and don't just blindly follow. As for "opinions", that's probably because they lack the ability to communicate. A dog will simply not do something. I suppose that's their "opinion"

And not all animals are easy to get along with either. We forget that pets have personalities as well.

Really, someone touched on something here. Do we love animals because they "don't talk back", "give opinions", etc. etc. That's not a reason to love something, IMHO.

I don't delude myself thinking anything otherwise - my dog is a survivor. During his 9 years and in a variety of environments, including being out on the street, he has learned that if he does certain things with humans, he'll get the things he likes most - food, water, and attention. I'm sure he does think fondly of us, but I don't think it's "love" in the human sense. He'll "love" someone else if the opportunity presented itself and we were out of the picture. I'm pretty certain that he had a family before he found himself homeless and he's moved on. Dogs (and cats) are amazingly resilient. That's something that I marvel at.
Did someone say because the dont talk back or give opinions? I think they certainly do just not in human language. I think they dont pass judgement though.

As far as love, you are describing human love. Humans learn to do and say certain things to get what they want. For pets we call this training, in humans manipulation. Humans will also love someone else if the opportunity presents itself. Usually for dogs its due to circumstances beyond their control. Dogs generally do not just leave to find someone else to love, they get lost or abandoned. Unconditional love doesn't mean you cant love someone else, it means you love despite their flaws, mistakes and behaviors.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:03 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And an animal, not domesticated by “evil” humans, will eat you alive in 10 minutes. Tearing you apart, and if you have your little child walking beside you, tearing him or her apart also. Humanity, and most humans, are fantastic and wonderful. Can we stop with this romantic, anthropomorphic bullsheet regarding animals? Pets are wonderful little things, but they are a creation and invention of man. Pets are fundamentally good because their creators and inventors are also. Stop hating on your species. While a few of us are defective and initiate evil, the vast majority of us are magnificent.
Wild animals perhaps and the number of humans eaten by animals is insignificant compare to the number of animals eaten by humans. And they dont kill you just for your head or skin or gallbladder.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,933,779 times
Pets are great. They usually welcome you warmly when you get home, or feed them a treat, or take them for a walk. Most like to cuddle on the couch, they dont spend your money in crazy ways, lie to you, or talk your head off. They dont demand new clothes, new furniture, or a new car. Pets are much better companions than most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates