Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 12:33 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,892,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
great news for you beautiful animal lovers, President Trump will be signing a new bill making animal cruelty a federal crime.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/07/77728...-federal-crime

We animal advocates are thrilled. Other countries, such as Holland have already implemented such laws. It's a huge step after fighting for so many years on this, it's finally happening! See Animal Defense Fund for more information. There will be more information soon.
I'm against animal cruelty but am not for creating more federal crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 12:40 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,125,779 times
Ownership, you dont have ownership over other people so no one wants to invest when your investment can get up and walk away. We have to develop complex laws and contracts in order to ensure that we can get our investment back out of people if they default. Even as complex as the US govt is its still not enough to prevent total corruption only a few hundred years later.

Also animals dont have original sin (all animals get a free pass to heaven).

Old 11-10-2019, 12:44 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,508,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They start a thread under the guise of actual curiosity about how other people think, but it's really an excuse to moralize and tout their own self-percieved superiority.
Pardon? I didn't start anything, so I'm not sure how this "they" includes me.

I don't start threads like this because in real life, this subject doesn't come into play.

And "moralize" works both ways. If you don't fall into line, that makes you less of an "animal lover". Bull.
I don't take extreme positions, one way or the other. I don't "like" pets over humans, or humans over animals as a blanket statement. There are humans who suck and you know what, not all animals are cuddly either. I just don't see things that way. I base my feelings on each individual person, and each animal. And yes, if I saw an animal drowning I'd save it, and if I saw a human I'd save it. I wish I could save both.

I don't even know why it should be an issue.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
Power, control, fulfillment of emotional needs one can't confront with humans. Not a fan of this line of thinking. To me, it sounds like emotional weekness.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:03 PM

50,931 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Pardon? I didn't start anything, so I'm not sure how this "they" includes me.

I don't start threads like this because in real life, this subject doesn't come into play.

And "moralize" works both ways. If you don't fall into line, that makes you less of an "animal lover". Bull.
I don't take extreme positions, one way or the other. I don't "like" pets over humans, or humans over animals as a blanket statement. There are humans who suck and you know what, not all animals are cuddly either. I just don't see things that way. I base my feelings on each individual person, and each animal. And yes, if I saw an animal drowning I'd save it, and if I saw a human I'd save it. I wish I could save both.

I don't even know why it should be an issue.
I really dont think it is and I don’t understand the point of threads like this except to lure people in and then profess disgust and outrage at their answers (thus the moralizing and self-smugness I mentioned) To me it’s a juvenile question, which do you like better humans or animals? It’s a ridiculous question really. I’ve never known anyone who had to choose. It’s not something that reflects the way most people live their lives, choosing one or the other.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:14 PM

914 posts, read 644,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm against animal cruelty but am not for creating more federal crimes.
oooh, sorry for you then. We need to protect the vulnerable and we need to ensure documentation of such people who eventually move on to harm/kill humans. This is a worthy crime classification.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,323,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I know this may not be the case for a great many human beings, but I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me "I get along more with animals than I do other people".

One of my siblings likes to come over to see my cat more than they like to see me, for example (granted I don't even like me, so I sort of understand).

Is it conflict? Is it fear? What is it? Cats and dogs don't stab you in the back, or gossip about you? I know it seems like a silly topic, but to me it's kind of fascinating that fellow humans dislike their own humankind more than they do animals.
From my experiences it is not that I dislike humankind necessarily nor conflict per se, and it most certainly is not fear at all. But, life has taught me to not share too much of my opinion or life experiences but to be cordial and respectful of every newcomer I meet without getting tangled up in their lives OR their needs.

I have two very good friends, one I have known for 58 years and the other I have known for 28 years. Simply put they know me, my history, my changing attitude about life in general over the years and just about everything else there is to know about me. These relationships are open and honest between us and there is no shame or embarrassment in discussing anything and everything from A to Z. This is not to say we agree about everything but have enough respect for one another that we can agree to disagree, with respect and acceptance and no hard feelings either way.

Oddly enough we have very different lifestyles and demands on our time and I may not see them very often but when we do see one another we seem to pick up where we left off.

My animals (2 Shelties) are very much the loves of my life (besides my children, of course).

My life is calm, very peaceful and conflict free. Yes, I am the Master of My Universe!

Old 11-10-2019, 02:30 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,057,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Pets love you unconditionally, Humans don't.
You should not seek to be loved unconditionally. Who would want that? Such a thing, if it existed, but it really doesn’t, would be unseemly and dishonorable. To want to be loved without being someone for whom love is reasonably due is completely selfish and completely hollow.

And animals don’t love anyone. They have a survival attachment due to the fact that we have enslaved them and domesticated them for our own selfish needs. Which I’m totally fine with. But calling it love is an anthropomorphic fallacy.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 11-10-2019 at 02:47 PM..

Old 11-10-2019, 05:29 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,892,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
oooh, sorry for you then. We need to protect the vulnerable and we need to ensure documentation of such people who eventually move on to harm/kill humans. This is a worthy crime classification.
I'm not saying there shouldn't be law protections for animals, I just don't want the federal government codifying so many criminal laws. That should be state and local purview.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:05 PM

35,146 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Last time I looked, no dog or cat went up on a building and started blowing innocent people away with an AK. Nor did they have to have the police come because a Collie went to a school and killed young children.
Actually Collies and Golden Retrievers kill lots of young children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates