Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2019, 07:18 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,872,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
I noticed this as well during Hurricane Harvey my friends biggest concern was the pets, Meanwhile people were drowning and losing their lives. It infuriated me, Sure i worry about animals as much as the next person but when you prioritize pets over the life of a human; that just doesn't sit right with me.

Pets may not be selfish or have any of the traits humans do but in our world humans make more of an impact and contribute far more to society than any pet would.

I am in that camp. I hate to see an animal hurt or abused. Yes, it bothers me when a human is hurt, but, as much as it bothers you, I feel worse when it happens to an animal.

I would not put my cats lives above the lives of my sons lives, but if it were a stranger, it would not bother me as much. You might think that is strange, I do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 07:20 PM

35,146 posts, read 17,096,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
No not at all! I think people who are sensitive and can't handle jerks prefer animals because animals are soothing and nice. How is it an ego thing?!? Maybe to some jerk who abuses animals
Some people think they are next to G-d when some dog buries their head in their lap for petting. Funny think about that, I didn't know what that meant when my mother married my stepfather when I was 17, and fir the first time in my life I lived with a dog. Samson, a German Shepherd-size poodle would bury his head on my lap, then start nudging my hand. I'll admit it was a bit of an ego-boost.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:03 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,829,347 times
I am in the minority who likes humans better than animals. You can have a more interesting conversation with them. Plus I believe there are more hospital admissions for dog bites and maulings than there are for human on human violence. If that's mans best friend who needs enemies.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:59 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,872,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I am in the minority who likes humans better than animals. You can have a more interesting conversation with them. Plus I believe there are more hospital admissions for dog bites and maulings than there are for human on human violence. If that's mans best friend who needs enemies.
Last time I looked, no dog or cat went up on a building and started blowing innocent people away with an AK. Nor did they have to have the police come because a Collie went to a school and killed young children. In Detroit, last weekend, probably 50 people were admitted to hospitals for gunshot wounds, and I bet maybe one went for a dog bite.

We humans are a sorry lot. We think we are so intelligent, yet we have no control over our deepest gremlins. We invent weapons that will wipe out millions in a nanosecond , and we think nothing of shooting another person over the most trivial issue.

Give me an animal every time.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But is it real when they don't have freewill or choice, and does it have much value?

Is it really unconditional if you are supplying all their needs and are they really 100% loyal or can't they be lured away by another human provider?
Anyone saying pets don't bond specifically with you or have favorite people or would choose food over their specific owners isn't aware of any of the recent research they've done with dogs, mri, fmri, etc.

No. Dogs fo not see people as interchangeable and don't simply show affection for food/protection.

That being said, the reason I like animals more than people has less to do with animals and more to do with the fact that most people suck.
I know people who don't suck. Lovely people who make me realize that there certainly are lots of folks who don't suck.
But on the day to day, it's clear the vast majority is selfish, entitled, and inconsiderate.
Just go for a drive. That right there will show you.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:00 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,056,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Last time I looked, no dog or cat went up on a building and started blowing innocent people away with an AK. Nor did they have to have the police come because a Collie went to a school and killed young children. In Detroit, last weekend, probably 50 people were admitted to hospitals for gunshot wounds, and I bet maybe one went for a dog bite.

We humans are a sorry lot. We think we are so intelligent, yet we have no control over our deepest gremlins. We invent weapons that will wipe out millions in a nanosecond , and we think nothing of shooting another person over the most trivial issue.

Give me an animal every time.
And an animal, not domesticated by “evil” humans, will eat you alive in 10 minutes. Tearing you apart, and if you have your little child walking beside you, tearing him or her apart also. Humanity, and most humans, are fantastic and wonderful. Can we stop with this romantic, anthropomorphic bullsheet regarding animals? Pets are wonderful little things, but they are a creation and invention of man. Pets are fundamentally good because their creators and inventors are also. Stop hating on your species. While a few of us are defective and initiate evil, the vast majority of us are magnificent.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 11-10-2019 at 08:27 AM..

Old 11-10-2019, 08:21 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,535,040 times
Pets are unconditional love. People are selfish and often a pain in the butt.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. You can't turn live off and on. If you really love somebody, even if he or she committed atrocities, you will still love that person. It will die a little bit everyday, but you will still love that person. I am a Christian, so my beliefs have everything to do with God. Maybe that's where we part ways. I noticed a disconsolate tone in your posts. You have the vernacular of a college professor, yet you have real estate agent on your profile. Go figure.
My Maxi is heaven sent. He kills a few times a week. I still love and adore him. I don't want him to, but he does anyway. I could never hate Maxi.
You most certainly can turn love off and on, and you should. To love is to value. And an evil person should not be valued. The Bible is wrong on this, and so is Christianity in general. Love should be conditional and earned. If we define sin as intentionally evil behavior, then Christianity’s take is incorrect. We should hate the sin, and the sinner. It makes no sense to divorce the two. You are what you do. You are not separate from what you do. If you intentionally do evil, you are evil, and you should be judged and hated and not valued. Unconditional love is inherently evil because it arbitrarily values and rewards evil without reason or judgment. You need to reject your Christian doctrine on these matters, and adopt a policy based on reason and reality. Unconditional love is not desirable or good. It is not an ideal. Love must come with conditions and expectations, and as someone who is loved, we must behave in a way that is virtuous to enable the reality of continuing to be loved.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:40 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,416,491 times
My cat is almost like a child to me, so I feel responsible for making sure she is happy, fed, has a comfortable living space, receives pets and affection, and is taken care of.

I don't prefer just any animal over humans, but I certainly prefer and love my cat more than most people.

If I came home from work and my new (don't even know their names) neighbor's house and mine were both on fire, I'd rush into my house first to save my cat.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't know, can't you love the sinner and hate the sin? Almost no one is all bad. I'm guessing even Hitler and Stalin had some good qualities . I'm not sure what they would be, probably bad examples for my point lol. Not to be all preachy, but Jesus said love your enemies, love the sinner and hate the sin. I'm not even sure if I'm fully on board with that though.

My point is you can love a person for their good qualities even if you don't support them in the bad, as the love is not conditioned on the bad.
The doctrine of love the sinner hate the sin, like many biblical concepts, is often misguided and incorrect. Like the men who wrote it. The error is artificially disconnecting action from character. You are what you do. Because you decided to do it. The sinner IS the sin. Of course we must use reason in making the decision to love or hate. Obviously an overall good person who commits a single shoplifting infraction does not automatically fall willy-nilly into the camp of being hated. We must add up all the factors and make a rational decision on that person. But, a person who intentionally and willfully engages in evil destructive behavior has lost the expectation of being loved. If Jesus said otherwise, then Jesus was wrong, and his advice in this instance should be rejected. It would be immoral to accept a dictate from any man on the subject of morality. We must use reason at all times and decide rationally whether to love or value another human being. That decision should be based on their character and quality as expressed through their ACTIONS.

So, in summary, should you love your parents or siblings or cousins or friends unconditionally? Absolutely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates