Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 01:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
No, I think you misunderstand...if you remove the drug laws, the crime will go with it...
No, it will not.

You're way out of your league here and have no idea what you're talking about and just spewing nonsense.

Legalizing drugs will not reduce drug-induced crimes.

Drug-induced crimes are crimes committed by people under the influence of drugs such as domestic violence, child abuse, child neglect, vehicular homicide/manslaughter, operating a vehicle under the influence, murder, arson, rape, assault etc etc.

Legalizing drugs will not eliminate the Black Market for drugs.

When you present the bill for the cost of drug addiction and drug abuse, the tax-payers are going to refuse to pay it.

Tax-payers will demand that drug users foot the bill for the cost of drug addiction and drug abuse.

To pay the cost of drug addiction and drug abuse, the cost of legalized drugs will need to be very high, higher than street value.

Since many will not be able to afford to pay the price for legalized drugs, they will turn to the Black Market.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you have never once lived or worked in a so-called "communist" country, because if you had, you know, lived or worked there as I did, then you'd know that when you need something, you go to the Black Market because 1) they're likely to have what you need when government stores run out of what you need; and 2) it will cost less than the price set by the government.

The only things that were pricey on the Black Market were those things the government did not sell at all, like blue jeans, and blue jean jackets, and things like that.

Even those people who could afford to buy legalized drugs at government prices, they will go to the Black Market, because it will be cheaper.

And, you will still have crime, because many drug users and drug addicts who lost their job because of their addiction or drug use or who don't have enough money to buy either legal drugs through the government or on the Black Market will still turn to burglary, larceny, robbery, shop-lifting etc to get money to buy drugs.

Also, your lack of common sense is truly appalling.

Do you have any idea how cocaine is made?

No, you don't. You're totally clueless.

How much is a couple of rocks on the street? If you thought the price was because they're illegal, you thought wrong. It's Supply & Demand, which brings us to how cocaine is made.

If a hole hasn't already been dug, then some man or woman who makes about $30/month...no I didn't stutter...will dig a hole, dump a couple bushels of coca leaves in it and then add Potassium Permanganate to it. Then later they'll come back and add a few more chemicals. You don't need to know.

If it's a high-tech operation, they might actually use metal or plastic barrels.

So, who in the US is willing to work for $30/month?

You don't have to provide their addresses and phone numbers, just their names will do.

So, how about it?

Did I mention these operations are outdoors?

We'd be on patrol in the jungle highlands in Honduras and stumble into an area with a bunch of barrels.

It's not exactly a 14,400 square foot air-conditioned/heated factory lit to ASIS illumination standards where workers get a high wage and FICA, HI, FUTA, SUTA, worker's comp, health insurance vacation, paid holidays etc etc etc, and the company has business, casualty and fire insurance and pays taxes and has lots of operating expenses for security, maintenance, janitorial, warehousing, cartage, etc etc etc.

Figure it out yet?

Oh, and add the cost of drug addiction and drug abuse to that.

Those tribes people in Afghanistan growing poppies make less than $30/month. Granted, the Turks get paid more, about $120/month to $160/month and those operations are indoors, but you'd not want to work there.

Figure it out yet?

Oh, and don't forget to add the cost of drug addiction and drug abuse to that.

It would probably help if you ever came to understand why things are the way they are.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
People thought the same thing when alcohol prohibition was in effect, turns out, that didnt even come close to happening.

Its better for drugs like this to be legalized that way, they can be regulated, and quality control can be implemented, the way it is now, its totally unregulated, street dealers could add battery acid to dope if they wanted to!

Its actually kind of curious, the fact that its all unregulated and not taxed either (thats a big one)!
Could be regulated and taxed.

An addict is far more likely to choose a less costly black market product and take their chances with quality control.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I think Portugal legalized almost all narcotics, but the rest of Europe has yet to follow suit. Probably a bunch of reasons the idea didn't spread, many of which are in this thread.
All drugs, including marijuana, remain illegal in Portugal.

What has changed is decriminalization of small defined quantities for personal use. Instead, addiction is viewed as a health challenge. Panels evaluate those charged with small scale possession. History, quantity, employment record and type of substance matters.

Trafficking drugs continues to carry serious penalties.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Of course...large cities with large police forces, rely on a certain percentage of crime, what would the US do if they all the sudden didnt have many criminals anymore? 80% of the prison cells would be empty, police depts would have their budgets slashed, staffing would be cut way down, etc etc.

As Ive said before, without drug laws, law enforcement in the US would become largely irrelevant and fall into obscurity, they really need drug laws or something like it, that guarantees, a large number of people are going to break these laws over and over again, drug laws are PERFECT for that!

I dont know about anyone else on here, but it personally disgusts me, that my govt is colluding with foreign drug cartels and creating laws that benefit them and help grow their profits!
My state was the 11th state to legalize recreational marijuana in small quantities for personal use. At the same time, the state committed to reviewing 800,000 historical criminal records associated with prior possession of small quantities of marijuana and will expunge qualifying convictions.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Legal or not if someone can't work they steal to buy drugs.
The daily grind....getting $ and scoring. Rinse and repeat.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Plenty of people that cannot work drink alcohol...Do we see a huge problem with alcohol related crime? Ive never ever heard of any.

Never?

According to this, alcohol is a factor in 40% of violent crimes.

Alcohol and Crime | SASC

This does not take into consideration, the number of traffic accidents and fatalities associated with alcohol impaired driving. Your post #19 refers to this.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:11 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Never?

According to this, alcohol is a factor in 40% of violent crimes.

Alcohol and Crime | SASC

This does not take into consideration, the number of traffic accidents and fatalities associated with alcohol impaired driving. Your post #19 refers to this.
I was referring to crime in order to get more alcohol.

That is what 'drug related crime' is...its the guy who robs his neighbor to get cash and buy more drugs, or the guy who holds up a gas station for money to buy drugs, etc.

You are talking more about crime related to being 'under the influence'.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:32 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The daily grind....getting $ and scoring. Rinse and repeat.
Many end up as prostitutes. I actually met one. She gets a low SSI monthly payment and sells herself $40 a pop for other things she needs. Primarily crack. I don't see how this would change if she bought crack at walmart or the street.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Many end up as prostitutes. I actually met one. She gets a low SSI monthly payment and sells herself $40 a pop for other things she needs. Primarily crack. I don't see how this would change if she bought crack at walmart or the street.
Same way it happened when alcohol prohibition was in effect...price of booze was HIGH during prohibition...once it ended, alcohol prices went back down (there was no longer any legal risk in distributing or possessing).

The legal status is the only thing keeping street drug prices sky high, the high price is justified because of the risk involved in transporting it, smuggling it in, selling it, possession, etc.

Another example of this is Moon shine...if you go thru some 'rural connection' and want to buy a gallon of Moonshine, its going to cost you around $150. (price varies a little bit depending on quality, type and region), but if you go to any liquor store and purchase Everclear (extremely close to Moonshine), a pint is around $7.

Last edited by rstevens62; 01-30-2020 at 07:32 AM..

Old 09-08-2020, 04:27 PM

97 posts, read 21,805 times
I don't think all recreational drugs should be legal, but at the same time people should not be getting 15 years in prison for having 1-2 grams of weed on them in some states. Horrific child abuse/serial rape criminals cut plea bargains and get 2-3 years only. The problem is sentencing consistency. Put dangerous drug Lords away for life? Fine, but don't do that to someone just smoking cocaine in their basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates