Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 05:10 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

I do think we need to separate the debate regarding marijuana from harder drugs though.

Totally agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARXHHevvr6Q

Old 01-23-2020, 03:14 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
15,000 people were murdered last year. Guess those laws against murder didn't work in all those cases.

Right?

While I'm all for scaling back the widespread criminalization of drugs, the notion that it must be all or nothing - everything is illegal or nothing is illegal - is as simplistic and naive as the notion that because some people break laws then those laws should be repealed.
I stopped smoking marijuana when I turned 21 and could legally purchase beer. It’s really way past time to look at the unintended consequences of drug laws and ask if treating drug use as a medical problem might be better.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Their habit isn't $300/day.
Can you guess why Heroin is that expensive? its because of its illegal status! If it were 100% legal, heroin would be very cheap, its the risk involved that jack the price up higher than gold.

When alcohol prohibition was in effect, it too was very expensive to buy, however once prohibition ended, the price went back down immediately...no more risk in buying or selling it.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I can understand why would feel that way, but keep in mind, the govt is using the same exact tactics for other drugs, that were used against Marijuana years ago!

Have you ever seen the anti-marijuana movie 'Reefer Madness'? They depict a kid who starts using and goes psychotic, raping, and killing while high on Marijuana.

If you pay attention to the news today, they are doing the same exact thing with opioids and some other drugs...the lesson we should have all learned from 'Reefer Madness', was its NOT about protecting health and safety of the public, that is just their cover story, so more people will agree with their efforts.

Like I said before, new drugs...same old tactics to demonize them.

If someone lied to you and tried to fool you once before...would you trust them to tell the truth in the future?

Old 01-24-2020, 09:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Of course...large cities with large police forces, rely on a certain percentage of crime, what would the US do if they all the sudden didnt have many criminals anymore? 80% of the prison cells would be empty, police depts would have their budgets slashed, staffing would be cut way down, etc etc.

As Ive said before, without drug laws, law enforcement in the US would become largely irrelevant and fall into obscurity, they really need drug laws or something like it, that guarantees, a large number of people are going to break these laws over and over again, drug laws are PERFECT for that!

I dont know about anyone else on here, but it personally disgusts me, that my govt is colluding with foreign drug cartels and creating laws that benefit them and help grow their profits!
Thats the reason. It a big money maker for the justice system from cops, to jailers, to attorneys and judges.
Its not just large cities. The bulk of cases and inmates are there due to drug and alcohol related charges.
You have the initial arrest for possession, car towed, bail, court, court costs, attorney, jail which supports a whole industry, probation officers. Thats a lot of salaries generated from that revenue.

Of course there would still be the same social problems and drug related offenses, DUIs, domestic violence, child neglect, theft you just wouldn't have the victim-less charges of possession. I honestly dont believe it being illegal to possess drugs deters usage.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:54 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It is amazing to me, that drug laws are STILL in place in 2020!!!

Its a fact that they were created to be used as a tool of racism (to control certain races).

Honestly I cannot understand how these laws can remain on the books in modern times. We teach our kids to NOT be racist against anyone...but at the same time, we teach them to obey and comply with racist laws!? LOL

Whats really strange, usually the NAACP will stand up and challenge any law that even remotely targets races...but with drug laws, they seem to be totally fine with them, not sure what to think about that.
Being "tough on crime" is still a popular political slogan, that helps people get elected (even during periods of relatively low crime. The public doesn't check the stats). This may or may not be code for "lock certain people away", depending on the geographic region (like Reagan's "welfare queens" language).

Old 01-24-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thats the reason. It a big money maker for the justice system from cops, to jailers, to attorneys and judges.
Its not just large cities. The bulk of cases and inmates are there due to drug and alcohol related charges.
You have the initial arrest for possession, car towed, bail, court, court costs, attorney, jail which supports a whole industry, probation officers. Thats a lot of salaries generated from that revenue.

Of course there would still be the same social problems and drug related offenses, DUIs, domestic violence, child neglect, theft you just wouldn't have the victim-less charges of possession. I honestly dont believe it being illegal to possess drugs deters usage.
From my days of drug abuse, I would agree, the laws were just something to try and avoid, it never deterred anyone from using or dealing, they just did it as covertly as they could and hoped not to get busted.

There are all kinds of different 'methods' used by drug dealers and buyers, (different ways they have set up to do the transaction, that is not as obvious as just handing over money for the drugs), they have actually become pretty clever about how they make the exchange (since this is the time when cops usually swarm in and bust).

At the time I stopped using, the dealers were just starting to use this really ingenious method...it was so great, dealer and buyer never met each other, and buyer never had dealers real phone number..Im not sure who came up with it but its extremely clever, there is basically NO way police would do an undercover sting, the dealer would know whats happening before they show up!

Old 01-25-2020, 11:12 AM

19,608 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Once you have been busted for something, it makes you think about repeating the behavior. Unless you have nothing to lose.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Once you have been busted for something, it makes you think about repeating the behavior. Unless you have nothing to lose.
If you are a drug addict, its VERY difficult to stay clean, this is why there are so many repeat offenders with drug crimes, its an addiction and possession of these drugs is a crime...so naturally many or even the majority of people ARE GOING to re offend!

This is what makes drug laws so perfect for law enforcement and the prisons, I can think of NO other crime where the person is SO likely to re offend numerous times, each time they re offend, thats a NEW charge/case, its a NEW sentence, another chance to seize money/property as well.

Its also the perfect crime from the race point of view, since addicts are so likely to re offend, this ensures this 'minority' will be gone in prison for long periods of time.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:21 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
The Constitutional basis for drug regulation has always been questionable and the court has said as much in the past, while continuing the practice. The government does have the power to regulate interstate commerce, which could be viewed as the right to regulate drugs coming from outside a state. That has been extended to include the production of materials that might impact interstate commerce, which seems like a pretty shaky argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates