Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 08:28 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My wife showed me how to adapt a thin scarf. I have placed it in my car and will use it where the overwhelming majority of people are already. While I have derided their use, it actually makes a degree of sense for someone like myself. I am quite healthy, was likely exposed early on and probably have antibodies. That may make me a prime "conveyor belt" of the virus. However, I believe that the whole population is now exposed, which is why I consider these actions to be theatrical rather than real.
This is an interesting theory, but we have no way of knowing if it's true. We also don't know if immunity is lasting; there have been cases of people getting re-infected with the bug, and suffering through the illness a second time. Also, if we can protect fragile elders and others with a heightened susceptibility, it's worth wearing a mask.

In areas that had no positive cases until later in the game, it's entirely possible that most people have not yet been exposed to the bug, and therefore have no immunity. (If, in fact, acquiring immunity to it is so simple.) My area only got its first case in mid-March, when someone returned from a trip to NYC. A few days later a few of that person's friends tested positive. All were quarantined, so many residents didn't feel there was anything to be concerned about. Even now, there have been no cases attributed to "community spread"; all are related to travelers returning from high-C-virus locations, and their friends. So no one is assuming everyone has been exposed and has immunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 08:45 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,596,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is an interesting theory, but we have no way of knowing if it's true. We also don't know if immunity is lasting; there have been cases of people getting re-infected with the bug, and suffering through the illness a second time. Also, if we can protect fragile elders and others with a heightened susceptibility, it's worth wearing a mask.

In areas that had no positive cases until later in the game, it's entirely possible that most people have not yet been exposed to the bug, and therefore have no immunity. (If, in fact, acquiring immunity to it is so simple.) My area only got its first case in mid-March, when someone returned from a trip to NYC. A few days later a few of that person's friends tested positive. All were quarantined, so many residents didn't feel there was anything to be concerned about. Even now, there have been no cases attributed to "community spread"; all are related to travelers returning from high-C-virus locations, and their friends. So no one is assuming everyone has been exposed and has immunity.

There's been so little testing and initial tests were limited to those who had traveled out of the country so data has been skewed by the testing criteria. Even now in my area you must have certain symptoms, i.e., fever to even get tested. Now I am reading that for some the only symptom was loss of smell. So even if the person returned from NYC and infected many others; those subsequently infected may not have symptoms or very mild, infect others, etc. None of whom get tested. Extensive contact testing hasn't been done. So perhaps there is community spread under the radar.

Last edited by Maddie104; 04-05-2020 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-05-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
[/b]

There's been so little testing and initial tests were limited to those who had traveled out of the country so data has been skewed by the testing criteria. Even now in my area you must have certain symptoms, i.e., fever to even get tested. Now I am reading that for some the only symptom was loss of smell. So even if the person returned from NYC and infected many others; those subsequently infected may not have symptoms or very mild, infect others, etc. None of whom get tested. Extensive contact testing hasn't been done. So perhaps there is community spread under the radar.
Good points. In my state, the testing criteria opened up to anyone, asymptomatic or otherwise, who had been in contact with a known infected person, so testing now is catching up with reality to some extent, but that's still a far cry from testing everyone to get a clear picture.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:

Im curious where you heard of people being re infected and suffering thru the virus again? That could have a HUGE impact on the response, it could possibly keep us shut down for MUCH longer.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Good points. In my state, the testing criteria opened up to anyone, asymptomatic or otherwise, who had been in contact with a known infected person, so testing now is catching up with reality to some extent, but that's still a far cry from testing everyone to get a clear picture.
IF we had a quarter of a million to half a million tests a day for a month, we would have an idea of who is infected and could start to open up the economy again.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im curious where you heard of people being re infected and suffering thru the virus again? That could have a HUGE impact on the response, it could possibly keep us shut down for MUCH longer.
It's happened in China. I'm not sure about Korea. Health experts in the US have speculated, that those cases weren't true re-infection, but that they were examples of people never completely recovering, and experiencing a relapse. So we don't know for sure. I stopped following that particular issue a couple of weeks ago. but I keep coming across mention, that immunity isn't guaranteed, and is a bit of a wild card.

Hopefully the vaccine testing they've begun now on humans will clarify the issue.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:01 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
I'm not reading 25 pages so I assume this has been covered but my answer is yes because without the sacrifices the number could have been 3-4X that figure.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
I read the article. This is stuff the "liberals" should have thought of before rather than after hitting the "full panic" button and closed everything.
Where do you live that everything is closed? Business here is proceeding fairly normally. The only thing closed are things like sports, movies, bars, restaurants, and tattoo parlors. The bones of the economy are still ticking right along. Loggers are still logging, ranchers are still ranching, truckers are still trucking, garbage is still getting collected, even my yard guy is coming to mow my lawn tomorrow. That's in the middle of one of your "liberal" shutdowns.

Does your city really lack any real economic activity? Is everyone around you really so clueless they can't evaluate which activities are safe?

Yeah, the service economy is toast. If you really want someone to polish your toenails, you are SOL. If you make your living polishing toenails, you are SOL. Service jobs are always the first shed in a downturn. Service workers all know that. It's the bottom line of working in a service economy.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:20 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
Quote:
I read the article. This is stuff the "liberals" should have thought of before rather than after hitting the "full panic" button and closed everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Where do you live that everything is closed? Business here is proceeding fairly normally. The only thing closed are things like sports, movies, bars, restaurants, and tattoo parlors. The bones of the economy are still ticking right along. Loggers are still logging, ranchers are still ranching, truckers are still trucking, garbage is still getting collected, even my yard guy is coming to mow my lawn tomorrow. That's in the middle of one of your "liberal" shutdowns.

Does your city really lack any real economic activity? Is everyone around you really so clueless they can't evaluate which activities are safe?

Yeah, the service economy is toast. If you really want someone to polish your toenails, you are SOL. If you make your living polishing toenails, you are SOL. Service jobs are always the first shed in a downturn. Service workers all know that. It's the bottom line of working in a service economy.
That poster blithely moves from one excuse to dismiss the reaction to the pandemic to another.

On March 15th, this is the nonsense he was peddling:
Quote:
Let's see, 471 cases in New York (link), three deaths, all people with previous respiratory conditions. Worth the drama?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57576007-post1893.html

Of course, he knew full well that the response (which he snidely portrayed as 'drama') to the incipient (at the time) pandemic wasn't what had happened but what was coming. You don't evacuate a city based on the deaths the incoming cat-5 hurricane has already caused - you evacuate based on what it threatens to do to the city. The same is true for a pandemic.

He's not discussing the crisis. He's spinning on behalf of the denialists and opposing everything done to mitigate it.

Early on he was claiming that the virus wasn't real and was just being made up by China for political reasons:
Quote:
I don't think they "let loose" anything. The government controls all or most of the media there. I think they need the trade deal loosened and will point to a sudden, media-generated "epidemic" as a reason. Let's see what the fatality rates in the U.S. are from this alleged "virus."
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57188907-post449.html

You'll get nothing but deliberate nonsense from him.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:58 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,040 times
Quote:
It's happened in China. I'm not sure about Korea. Health experts in the US have speculated, that those cases weren't true re-infection, but that they were examples of people never completely recovering, and experiencing a relapse. So we don't know for sure. I stopped following that particular issue a couple of weeks ago. but I keep coming across mention, that immunity isn't guaranteed, and is a bit of a wild card.

Hopefully the vaccine testing they've begun now on humans will clarify the issue.
Agree, much clarification is required; research is ongoing so, imho, much is too soon to tell. Might not be a particularly satisfying answer although, again imho, pragmatic.

There's a lot of speculation at this point, not a heck of a lot of it based on firm evidence.

This piece will likely garner more questions than answers:

How Medical ‘Chickenpox Parties’ Could Turn The Tide Of The Wuhan Virus

It is time to think outside the box and seriously consider a somewhat unconventional approach to COVID-19: controlled voluntary infection.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/25...e-wuhan-virus/

( I think this piece got banned in Twitterworld. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates