Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 05:30 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
You haven't mentioned if she is a single mother. But if so, I think her first duty is to her children. As for the hospital not having PPE, it is their first responsibility to protect their staff. You can't save the patients if all the staff are out sick.
No, she isn’t.
But her concern seems to center more on infecting the kids rather than leaving them motherless.

Given that Covid is relatively benign to kids,I’m not sure I’d worry about that as much as leaving them motherless.

I would think she could also ask to be transferred to a unit that isn’t dealing with infectious disease.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:55 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post

Job as nurse during a medical crisis or a mother keeping her offspring safe?
Ask the nearest lion or bear (or any member of the animal kingdom). They will do anything to protect the offspring. Wouldn't even be a conscious choice. It would be instinct.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:48 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:

Which is the most compelling duty or obligation?

Job as nurse during a medical crisis or a mother keeping her offspring safe?
Is your question really specific to mothers? Or are you just saying "mothers" because your example involves a mother? How about fathers on the front lines of this pandemic? Do they get a pass to stay home with their kids? Is that somehow different? Why? ...and discuss. If the father is a doctor is he more obligated to be with patients because a doctor's role trumps the role of a nurse? Or is that irrelevant?

Old 04-01-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Is your question really specific to mothers? Or are you just saying "mothers" because your example involves a mother? How about fathers on the front lines of this pandemic? Do they get a pass to stay home with their kids? Is that somehow different? Why? ...and discuss. If the father is a doctor is he more obligated to be with patients because a doctor's role trumps the role of a nurse? Or is that irrelevant?
I’m saying mother because it’s a specific situation.
If either parent can’t do their job without infecting their young children should they continue doing the job or put their kids ahead of the job?

Old 04-01-2020, 07:52 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Whereas I greatly admire ALL medical personnel and truly consider them to be heroes, in my opinion, a mother's first duty is always to her children.
Wait a minute! So you're ok with her breaching her duty as her kids' economic support by quitting her job, to stay home with her kids? How much sense does that make? She's in a no-win situation.

How about the employer's duty to provide safety gear for the staff? Maybe the ACLU could take on a class-action lawsuit against the negligent hospital directors.

(Ruthie's Rules of the Game: if there's no Door #3, throw a stick of dynamite at the wall, and make your own door.)

Old 04-01-2020, 07:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
She should discuss her concerns with the hospital management. If they are unsympathetic, she can go to a higher authority: the state agency that oversees hospitals and clinics, or the governor's office.

The last thing a hospital needs is a reputation that they're putting their frontline staff at risk of infection.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wait a minute! So you're ok with her breaching her duty to be her kids' economic support by quitting her job, to stay home with her kids?
In this situation there is a husband and father who works.
The primary conflict is whether she as a nurse has a moral obligation to stay on the unit treating the infectious disease without adequate protection where she is convinced she will contract the disease inevitably and in turn infect her young kids.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
No, she isn’t.
But her concern seems to center more on infecting the kids rather than leaving them motherless.

Given that Covid is relatively benign to kids,I’m not sure I’d worry about that as much as leaving them motherless.

I would think she could also ask to be transferred to a unit that isn’t dealing with infectious disease.
Oh, great. So then, everyone would ask to be transferred to a non-covid department. Then the management would come back with "only single parents have the option to transfer out". So then what? Only childless adults and parents which a spouse to cover for them, should they die, would be left in the ER's and ICU's?

Old 04-01-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
In this situation there is a husband and father who works.
The primary conflict is whether she as a nurse has a moral obligation to stay on the unit treating the infectious disease without adequate protection where she is convinced she will contract the disease inevitably and in turn infect her young kids.
Nurse Conflicted should organize her fellow nurses to go on strike to demand adequate protective gear from hospital management. On the picket line, she'll be safe from the patients, eliminating the dilemma. With her group, she should also consult a lawyer about suing their employer for unsafe work environment and negligence.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:05 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How about the employer's duty to provide safety gear for the staff? Maybe the ACLU could take on a class-action lawsuit against the negligent hospital directors.
Hospitals and state/local governments are desperate for protective equipment for their staff but there is none to be had. Have you not been reading about the shortages of masks and gowns across the country? How staff are having to wear masks for multiple days when they would normally be discarded between each patient? It's not hospital directors who are negligent. I'm amazed more doctors, nurses, techs, and other staff are not walking off the job. They didn't sign up to die from poor planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates