Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 12:46 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,759,243 times

Advertisements

I know someone whose daughter is an RN.
Daughter is living in terror that because her hospital and floor is treating patients with the virus, she will get it (says it’s a certainty because the hospital doesn’t have the equipment needed to protect medical workers) and terrified she will carry it home to her three young kids.

The mother is indignant when it was suggested that daughter should possibly quit or take leave of absence to keep her children safe because she thinks it is a breach of duty as an RN.
Id think it could also be construed to be a breach of duty as a mother to her children if, as the daughter thinks, she will certainly contract the virus and carry it to the young kids.

Which is the most compelling duty or obligation?

Job as nurse during a medical crisis or a mother keeping her offspring safe?

Old 04-01-2020, 12:49 PM

19,861 posts, read 9,418,708 times
Whereas I greatly admire ALL medical personnel and truly consider them to be heroes, in my opinion, a mother's first duty is always to her children.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:50 PM

10,371 posts, read 8,011,837 times
It's not the kids who are in danger, it's their RN mother. Kids in general do fine with this virus, it's the adults who die from it.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's not the kids who are in danger, it's their RN mother. Kids in general do fine with this virus, it's the adults who die from it.
Yes, I agree.
I’d think parents do have an obligation to mitigate danger so their kids don’t grow up motherless.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:05 PM

19,861 posts, read 9,418,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes, but I don't think most young kids would do fine without their mother.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:40 PM

15,879 posts, read 6,583,470 times
You haven't mentioned if she is a single mother. But if so, I think her first duty is to her children. As for the hospital not having PPE, it is their first responsibility to protect their staff. You can't save the patients if all the staff are out sick.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,490,309 times
Do you all feel the same about our armed forces during wartime?

Old 04-01-2020, 05:09 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,954,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I know someone whose daughter is an RN.
Daughter is living in terror that because her hospital and floor is treating patients with the virus, she will get it (says it’s a certainty because the hospital doesn’t have the equipment needed to protect medical workers) and terrified she will carry it home to her three young kids.

The mother is indignant when it was suggested that daughter should possibly quit or take leave of absence to keep her children safe because she thinks it is a breach of duty as an RN.
Id think it could also be construed to be a breach of duty as a mother to her children if, as the daughter thinks, she will certainly contract the virus and carry it to the young kids.

Which is the most compelling duty or obligation?

Job as nurse during a medical crisis or a mother keeping her offspring safe?
She should discuss her concerns with the hospital management. If they are unsympathetic, she can go to a higher authority: the state agency that oversees hospitals and clinics, or the governor's office.

The last thing a hospital needs is a reputation that they're putting their frontline staff at risk of infection.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Do you all feel the same about our armed forces during wartime?
Are our armed forces bringing back the enemy home with them to sicken their children?

Old 04-01-2020, 05:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,490,309 times
Quote:
Are our armed forces bringing back the enemy home with them to sicken their children?
I was speaking mostly about the comments about kids growing up motherless.

Quote:
Yes, I agree.
I’d think parents do have an obligation to mitigate danger so their kids don’t grow up motherless.
Regarding infecting their families, I've read various accounts of medical providers living in tents in their yards so clearly it's a concern for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates