Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 11:04 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's not the kids who are in danger, it's their RN mother. Kids in general do fine with this virus, it's the adults who die from it.
Really, it's the grandmother in all this.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:05 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
She is posting about someone that use to be a good friend of hers, and what that person posted in another forum. She was nasty to her there and now brought it here.
Really a crap thing to do.
I was not nasty to anyone.
My only words were that a parents first duty is to their children.
No matter how you try to spin it, that’s what they were.
How is it a “crap thing to do”?
I was curious about what other people thought and I named no names at all.
You are making this personal when it isn’t.

Please stop stalking me from forum to forum.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:06 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Do you all feel the same about our armed forces during wartime?
I think this question is appropriate, and in a broader scale.

When I was a school principal, instead of disarming the student with a loaded gun, should I have instead taken an immediate leave of absence?

When one of our kids was being kidnapped, and the estranged father was dragging his daughter off with a gun in his hand, should I have taken an immediate leave of absence?

When the crazy parent literally jumped over the front office counter to attack two administrators, should I have taken an immediate leave of absence?

When, without my protective gloves designed to protect the administrator from a biting student and possible hiv exposure, when that student went into an grand mal epileptic seizure should I have NOT cradled the student's head to prevent him from smashing it into the terrazzo floor, and instead taken an immediate leave of absence?

A close friend of mine is a surgeon, and the type that could delay almost all of his surgeries at this time. But he's still working at the hospital even though he could simply ride this out.

Perhaps the difference for some is a job versus a profession.

I don't think it's an easy question or answer at all.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Whereas I greatly admire ALL medical personnel and truly consider them to be heroes, in my opinion, a mother's first duty is always to her children.
No, no more than if she were a cop or a firefighter.

I don't understand all of the paranoia of personally getting the virus, unless you're elderly, etc...The concern is that too many get it too fast and the really bad cases don't get treated, not the likelihood that YOURS is a really bad case.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
In this situation there is a husband and father who works.
The primary conflict is whether she as a nurse has a moral obligation to stay on the unit treating the infectious disease without adequate protection where she is convinced she will contract the disease inevitably and in turn infect her young kids.
I don't understand the concern about children or women in (presumably) good health still in their childbearing years. It would be different if she were 68 and a two time cancer survivor and caring for an adult semi-disabled child (like a neighbor of mine is.)

Old 04-02-2020, 11:24 AM

269 posts, read 480,729 times
Not everyone has the emotional strength to be on the front lines. If this woman can't hack it, she should quit.
I know 1 nurse who recently quit as she is pregnant. My cousin, who is a wonderful caring person, quit her nursing job during the AIDS crisis. She had babies at home at the time. No judgement from me, we all do what we can.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josmyth View Post
Not everyone has the emotional strength to be on the front lines. If this woman can't hack it, she should quit.
I know 1 nurse who recently quit as she is pregnant. My cousin, who is a wonderful caring person, quit her nursing job during the AIDS crisis. She had babies at home at the time. No judgement from me, we all do what we can.
Where are you getting that the woman can't handle it? It's not the nurse complaining, it's the OP.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:32 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Where are you getting that the woman can't handle it? It's not the nurse complaining, it's the OP.
Exactly how am I complaining? I was curious about what people thought. Interested in other perspectives.
It is the nurse is extremely upset that she knows she will get it and take it home to her kids.

There is an opinion piece in the NYT today about the situation, in fact.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/o...e=articleShare

Old 04-02-2020, 11:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Exactly how am I complaining? I was curious about what people thought. Interested in other perspectives.
It is the nurse complaining and upset that she knows she will get it and take it home to her kids.

There is an opinion piece in the NYT today about it, in fact.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/o...e=articleShare
I misread the OP which said "the mother was indignant ".
My mistake.

Your complaint is that her priorities are wrong. You did ask for others' opinions but gave yours as well that this mother was more or less being irresponsible/neglectful of her children by continuing to work.

It's a tough situation as has been mentioned.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:38 AM

382 posts, read 936,804 times
This nurse vented to her mother. She is working in a stressful situation in a stressful time, that will always have the possibility of bringing home diseases to family. The mother of the nurse posted about how this situation is emotional for her. The response from a few was she that the nurse should put her children first. That would mean no nurses anywhere that have children and families.

It was a callous response and it is even more callous to bring it here with the original poster story not explained properly or the original poster able to tell her story. The world is not a vacuum and the mother has been reading this site for years even if she is not a poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates