Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 05:45 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
People never cease to amaze me. There are very Nervous Nellies who think the last (Flu) Pandemic was in 1918. Ok, maybe they did not know about 1957 and 1968 Pandemics, but WHERE WERE THEY in 2009????? Pandemic declared, AND Obama also declared that a National Emergency. No shutting down businesses, no masks, no social distancing, stay at home orders, etc., but it was still a DECLARED PANDEMIC.
It would appear that you don't know what 'pandemic' means.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:33 AM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
I've been focusing on the recovery rate which is tremendously high. It's changed some because now they are counting everyone who has died who also happened to have coronavirus at the time of death as a statistic which I don't think is a good method.

I'm in my seventies and have lived in my area for over forty years and only know one person who has had it and she also died with it. She was counted as a statistic but she was already in hospice dying from kidney disease. Bizarre to call her a corona fatality. Doesn't seem very scientific to me. But there's money to be made.

This illness kills those who are already ill. The rest recover relatively fast. I don't think that warrants locking up well people. And I think in a society that obviously shows little care for the elderly and the ill (unless they are young) it's strange to see this sudden concern about the lives of people who were going to be leaving us shortly. Has anyone been out protesting that the old folks in institutions aren't allowed family or friend comfort through all this? Haven't noticed any concern. In fact they didn't get visitors prior to the virus. Suddenly they are valuable?

If this illness were killing the young then I could get behind the idea of freaking out.

Some of you should check out Fauci's background. He's the guy who knowingly lied to the health folks about AIDS causing a panic in which thousands were discriminated against and even injured. Also have a deep look into his research and development history. It's a little scary. Or you could just put on your truth detector and look at the expression on his face when he talks.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:28 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It would appear that you don't know what 'pandemic' means.

Nether did Webster's dictionary, as they actually changed their very definition of pandemic last Spring.
To answer the OP question, our political and social climate has changed to suit a minor pandemic; as has the Merriam Webster corporation.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:39 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Nether did Webster's dictionary, as they actually changed their very definition of pandemic last Spring.
To answer the OP question, our political and social climate has changed to suit a minor pandemic; as has the Merriam Webster corporation.
I'd be interested to see that entry in Merriam-Webster's dictionary that you mentioned. Can you please provide a link?

As far as I know, the classical definition of "pandemic" has not changed -- it still refers to an outbreak of disease that covers a wide geographic area (crossing international boundaries or of worldwide scope), affecting a large proportion of the population. The word pandemic comes from the ancient Greek word pandemos (πάνδημος), literally meaning "all" (pan) and "people" (demos).

The World Health Organization has been responsible for much of the recent confusion regarding the meaning of "pandemic." However, WHO states that their "description" of a particular pandemic does not change the "definition" of the term. Read: "The Elusive Definition of Pandemic Influenza".

WHO continues to define "pandemic" in the classical sense ("an epidemic of worldwide proportions"). But WHO additionally describes various pandemics for the purpose of planning a level of preparation and response, in accordance with the disease's severity of virulence as well as the population's ability to resist and cope with the disease.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:11 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Because this was from the start a "plandemic" based on the tabletop exercise by Bill Gates and his "crew" that took place in the fall of 2019. Plan 201: https://www.centerforhealthsecurity..../scenario.html Just how similar was the tabletop exercise to the "pandemic"? Pretty close IMO.

Add to that Fauci's accurate prediction that a Trump would face a surprise pandemic. The weatherman can't even forecast the weather accurately in the morning for that afternoon! https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ak/5494601002/ Fact-checked, and he certainly did. He should up on charges and behind bars.

There are just too many "coincidences" involved with "pandemic", far too many for it to be an "accident". https://ise.media/video/plandemic-ii...nation-23.html

We are acting different, actually more accurately being "forced" to act differently, because the issue is not the "pandemic" but of control and force by the government: federal, state, county and city.

Who really even remembers the "swine" flu? What about TB in 2018? Anyone remember action taken here on that as it killed 1.5 million people and infected 10 million worldwide.

Why the difference? One word, "Plandemic".

Old 10-09-2020, 03:34 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I'd be interested to see that entry in Merriam-Webster's dictionary that you mentioned. Can you please provide a link?

As far as I know, the classical definition of "pandemic" has not changed -- it still refers to an outbreak of disease that covers a wide geographic area (crossing international boundaries or of worldwide scope), affecting a large proportion of the population. The word pandemic comes from the ancient Greek word pandemos (πάνδημος), literally meaning "all" (pan) and "people" (demos).

The World Health Organization has been responsible for much of the recent confusion regarding the meaning of "pandemic." However, WHO states that their "description" of a particular pandemic does not change the "definition" of the term. Read: "The Elusive Definition of Pandemic Influenza".

WHO continues to define "pandemic" in the classical sense ("an epidemic of worldwide proportions"). But WHO additionally describes various pandemics for the purpose of planning a level of preparation and response, in accordance with the disease's severity of virulence as well as the population's ability to resist and cope with the disease.

Sadly, I am no longer able to find that link from back in March.
So, must retract the earlier comment.
TY for your info.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:56 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
Sadly, I am no longer able to find that link from back in March.
So, must retract the earlier comment.
TY for your info.
No problem. I don't doubt you may have seen something like that. I was just curious and wondering whether it was time to purchase a new dictionary.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:02 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Well, I'll try again. I guess it's good news that information from the test state, Indiana, indicates that corona virus is less deadly than first thought.

https://fee.org/articles/npr-mountin...ts-fail-again/

Interesting. When the link comes up click on the NPR one. This news was broadcast on NPR Radio. It can also be accessed there by googling "NPR Covid less deadly than thought." I have no idea why that comes up as a link to FEE. Makes it a little difficult to get educated.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 10-12-2020 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: I think I fixed your link for you.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Well, I'll try again. I guess it's good news that information from the test state, Indiana, indicates that corona virus is less deadly than first thought..
Then how come it is the second biggest killer on the planet - and that was back in May.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...illers-of-2020

Last edited by Rafius; 10-16-2020 at 12:21 AM..

Old 10-16-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't rely on them too much. They decided to take the letter 'u' out of some English words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates