Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 10:10 AM

3,644 posts, read 1,600,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
People that kneel are completely patriotic and respectful...it is a protest against racial inequality and police brutality which happen way too often to people of color...

Then why not kneel and protest at a police station or gov building? Why kneel during the national anthem? The national anthem is a song written to celebrate winning the war of 1812 from Britain. That war was fought because Britain was interfering in American trade & expansion. And pressuring US sailors into the Royal Navy. So when I hear the national anthem I think of the battles to win our full independence from Britain. That's what I hear when I hear the song. Has nothing to do with racial injustice.

I do think police use brutality which should be illegal, but not just on blacks. Police shoved a WHITE older man causing him to fall back and crack his head open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 10:18 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Then why not kneel and protest at a police station or gov building? Why kneel during the national anthem?
You probably missed my particular post(s) where I said that a protest that you don't have to see misses the point.

Quote:
The national anthem is a song written to celebrate winning the war of 1812 from Britain. That war was fought because Britain was interfering in American trade & expansion. And pressuring US sailors into the Royal Navy. So when I hear the national anthem I think of the battles to win our full independence from Britain. That's what I hear when I hear the song. Has nothing to do with racial injustice.
Actually the song - written by someone who held enslaved Africans - has rather racist lyrics that are never sung in modern times.

https://theundefeated.com/features/t...cis-scott-key/

Quote:
I do think police use brutality which should be illegal, but not just on blacks. Police shoved a WHITE older man causing him to fall back and crack his head open.
That situation in Buffalo was indeed horrible. Hopefully when people saw what happened to that poor old gentleman, they realized police brutality could be visited upon anyone. It should be needless to say that any legislation that works to eliminate police brutality would benefit all citizens but would positively affect African-Americans the most.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:58 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
"Many" don't disagree that the kneeling is inappropriate. "Some" do.

It's okay if you can't respect the flag if you believe the country did or is doing something wrong. That's you. Other people apparently can. Don't assume people are lying because you disagree with them.

The NFL players are using their venue to make a statement. Not a big deal. Trump uses HIS venue every day to make some outrageous statements. Everyone uses the best venue they can to make their statements, but some white people have a problem with the black guy using his venue.

Why is the anthem played at football games, anyway? Makes no sense and seems silly to me. But hey...they can do what they want at their venue. I don't have to watch it or listen to it. It's just a game.
The majority of NFL fans disagree with it. That's why ratings and revenue were down the season it was all the rage. Think about it. In a booming economy the NFL wasn't at the forefront of dollars made. It's not like they didn't make a huge sum of money. Bit, it should have been more. That's why the NFL put polices into place to calm things down.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:07 AM

813 posts, read 402,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
it's amazing to me that the most overtly racist comments on this thread are from posters from n.y.c. (supposedly the most tolerant place in the world). are their locations being trolled ?
You haven't seen anything yet. Go over to New York City sub-board of New York. Some of the threads there would make you feel it's 60's Birmingham, Alabama.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Then why not kneel and protest at a police station or gov building? Why kneel during the national anthem? The national anthem is a song written to celebrate winning the war of 1812 from Britain. That war was fought because Britain was interfering in American trade & expansion. And pressuring US sailors into the Royal Navy. So when I hear the national anthem I think of the battles to win our full independence from Britain. That's what I hear when I hear the song. Has nothing to do with racial injustice.

Do people really think a police reform movement being lead by black people will only benefit black people? That suddenly in that future day when police stop having badly, black people will get fresh baked cookies and white people will get beat downs?

As they always say, the biggest winners of the Civil Rights Movement were white women and non-black people of color, so do we think, when it all shakes out, this effort will be any different.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
ANd at virtually every sporting venue I attend I'd say just as many people don't even remove their hats for the Anthem. Or even stop talking.

Have you SEEN the mouthbreathers at an NFL game?
It isn't just NFL but wrestling events, NHL games, MLB games, NBA games, NASCAR races, monster truck shows, etc. any event that the anthem is played. And this really isn't anything new. I've seen this at least since Bush '43 years (likely Clinton had some too but I didn't notice.) If you ask former armed forces the Pledge of Allegiance and Star Spangled Banner, are reverendent and you need to stand in silence until the end, hand over the heart (if not in uniform) and hats off, even women. Now think back to the last sports event you went to with the national anthem played at. How many people did you see sip their drink during it? How many people didn't leave their seat (if abled bodied)? How many people cat-called the high notes? Guess what, these idiots did the same.

I have often smack talked those who have flags off their truck, especially in the rain. If you ask these people, many attack the kneelers. However, when you ask the same former armed forces I spoke of earlier, they would state that breaks the flag code.
Quote:
7 Position and manner of display
The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
If you display your flag on your truck, make sure the flag is fixed to your chassis or clamped to the right fender, otherwise you break the flag code and have no standing to mock kneelers. Also make sure it is not able to get torn when driving it...
Quote:
8. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:36 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It isn't just NFL but wrestling events, NHL games, MLB games, NBA games, NASCAR races, monster truck shows, etc. any event that the anthem is played. And this really isn't anything new. I've seen this at least since Bush '43 years (likely Clinton had some too but I didn't notice.) If you ask former armed forces the Pledge of Allegiance and Star Spangled Banner, are reverendent and you need to stand in silence until the end, hand over the heart (if not in uniform) and hats off, even women. Now think back to the last sports event you went to with the national anthem played at. How many people did you see sip their drink during it? How many people didn't leave their seat (if abled bodied)? How many people cat-called the high notes? Guess what, these idiots did the same.
Exactly. So many people are simply ignoring the Anthem while attending in person, and I bet more than a few go home and post anti-protest stuff online.

There is one unpopular sport I enjoy in person, and when they play the anthem I see a lot of the same except one group who is almost 100% respectful...and it ain't old white guys like me.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:17 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
I think this was very ignorant. He has a right to his opinion, as other players do . Why apologize? Anytime the National Anthem is played at ANY event, you remove your hat and put your hand over your heart/or salute. Have a problem with that? Then leave this country. These players who have their own issues with things that do not pertain to the American Flag/NFL are free to start their own foundation/cause! There is a time and place for everything. I just want to watch football without the politics. There are other outlets for that info.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:26 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

I have often smack talked those who have flags off their truck, especially in the rain. If you ask these people, many attack the kneelers. However, when you ask the same former armed forces I spoke of earlier, they would state that breaks the flag code. If you display your flag on your truck, make sure the flag is fixed to your chassis or clamped to the right fender, otherwise you break the flag code and have no standing to mock kneelers. Also make sure it is not able to get torn when driving it...
How about this one, NFL fans?
"(c)The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free."
Who wants to talk about carving it into a map of the United States while displayed flat? (Apologies to Hawaii and Alaska.)

Old 06-08-2020, 12:32 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I think this was very ignorant. He has a right to his opinion, as other players do . Why apologize? Anytime the National Anthem is played at ANY event, you remove your hat and put your hand over your heart/or salute. Have a problem with that? Then leave this country. These players who have their own issues with things that do not pertain to the American Flag/NFL are free to start their own foundation/cause! There is a time and place for everything. I just want to watch football without the politics. There are other outlets for that info.
You don't get to decide who should leave the country; you have just demonstrated how Unamerican you are. Those who have died for it didn't do so to give you that power. Your voice is no more valid than anyone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates