Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 02:46 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
ANd at virtually every sporting venue I attend I'd say just as many people don't even remove their hats for the Anthem. Or even stop talking.

Have you SEEN the mouthbreathers at an NFL game?
EVERYONE stands at events I go to when the anthem is played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 06:48 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I'm really annoyed that he apologized for it, he should have never done so.
He doesn't want to be the next Colin "Unemployed" Kapernick!

He has endorsements, a post playing career to consider.

Fact is his social media comment put him in the front row of the controversy. He needs to do damage control and protect his future income. Nike stuck with Kapernick but he has been unemployed for 3 years he did get a settlement from the NFL. Brees has to be concerned that if his sponsors bail then he jammed his future finances in one post.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:48 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Sure they do.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:10 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I think this was very ignorant. He has a right to his opinion, as other players do . Why apologize? Anytime the National Anthem is played at ANY event, you remove your hat and put your hand over your heart/or salute. Have a problem with that? Then leave this country. These players who have their own issues with things that do not pertain to the American Flag/NFL are free to start their own foundation/cause! There is a time and place for everything. I just want to watch football without the politics. There are other outlets for that info.
Playing the National Anthem at a ballgame is politics, brainwashing, and a source of revenue, by making it seem it’s part of being a patriotic American. In reality, it's just a f.ing football game that is costing you $150 to attend so you can sit in the cheap seats.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:40 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I can understand why people would kneel, and why people get offended by it.

If I was a minority or someone who was racially harassed, I could absolutely understand kneeling. I know people who kneel in solidarity with these communities. I don't agree with kneeling, but I absolutely see why they do it.

To me, kneeling is basically saying this country is so bad that I don't respect anything about it and won't even show respect for its national anthem. I can point out its flaws without "throwing the baby out with the bathwater."

Old 06-08-2020, 01:58 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I think this was very ignorant. He has a right to his opinion, as other players do . Why apologize? Anytime the National Anthem is played at ANY event, you remove your hat and put your hand over your heart/or salute. Have a problem with that? Then leave this country. These players who have their own issues with things that do not pertain to the American Flag/NFL are free to start their own foundation/cause! There is a time and place for everything. I just want to watch football without the politics. There are other outlets for that info.
Why was Brees allowed to give his opinion, but Lebron James and Kevin Durant were not? Oh right, because Lebron brought up racial injustice while Brees brought up Merica. If Lebron has to "shut up and dribble", then Brees has to "shut up and throw." If Lebron is allowed to speak his mind, then Brees is his allowed to speak his mind.

It's that simple.

Also: the only reason the Anthem is played at the beginning of NFL games with players standing on the field is because the military paid the NFL to do it for advertising, not because patriotism. NFL players didn't stand on the field during the Anthem until 2009. So in 2008, what were you complaining about?

And also, while I personally stand for the Anthem, the person next to me doesn't have to if they don't want to. The beauty of America is it's a free country, and as long as you're not doing something illegal, you can do whatever you want, and not standing for the Anthem is legal. You can do better than "if you don't like it, leave." No one takes that serious.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:46 PM

249 posts, read 195,700 times
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
respecting human beings is more important than respecting a piece of cloth.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
It's sad that freedom of speech today is similar to mob lynching in the old days.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:33 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's sad that freedom of speech today is similar to mob lynching in the old days.
I absolutely agree that BLM has a point. That said, their point is the only acceptable one to have. I get email after email from companies I've done business with about this issue. I don't care. I don't need Instacart to give me their racial stand.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:37 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Are these events NASCAR races?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates