Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 05:28 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You were talking to a dip****, plain and simple. Some people make everything political. This is a great opportunity to weed out the gene pool right now.
If that were only true for the clueless, I would concur. However, it affects my right to life if that individual has COVID-19 and passes it to me due to their selfishness. Since this issue is greatly politicized, I find it incongruous that mask shunners are likely to be right to lifers, but cavalier about allowing older people to die "for the economy" rather than trying to protect them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 05:45 AM

855 posts, read 624,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyhelpme View Post
I was just at the airport in Virginia and sat in the lounge with Redfield, head of CDC. was NOT wearing a mask the entire time. Happy to share photo if you don't believe me. If the head of the CDC does not wear one....why should we?
People seemed to have overlooked this one.
Yes, please share the photo.

-

Old 06-16-2020, 05:57 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
If that were only true for the clueless, I would concur. However, it affects my right to life if that individual has COVID-19 and passes it to me due to their selfishness. Since this issue is greatly politicized, I find it incongruous that mask shunners are likely to be right to lifers, but cavalier about allowing older people to die "for the economy" rather than trying to protect them.
So true. Only the unborn have the right to life, lol.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:22 AM

586 posts, read 314,290 times
Default IS this a real argument NOT to wear a mask?

Here's real argument.

This from the New England Journal of Medicine.......

"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic."

Old 06-16-2020, 06:25 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
When Walmart still had their outside lines, there was once an old man standing in front of me not wearing a mask holding a sheet of paper.

He handed the store employee checking masks that piece of paper and she nodded and waved him into the store.

Was that his doctor's note stating that he had a medical condition which precluded him from wearing a mask? My guess would be yes. I was not about to ask, or challenge him. Would YOU ask to see that piece of paper?

Old 06-16-2020, 06:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
When Walmart still had their outside lines, there was once an old man standing in front of me not wearing a mask holding a sheet of paper.

He handed the store employee checking masks that piece of paper and she nodded and waved him into the store.

Was that his doctor's note stating that he had a medical condition which precluded him from wearing a mask? My guess would be yes. I was not about to ask, or challenge him. Would YOU ask to see that piece of paper?
Per HIPAA, you are not required to show anyone anything. You can simply say you aren't wearing one due to medical reasons and they cannot ask you anymore.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:49 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
Here's real argument.

This from the New England Journal of Medicine.......

"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic."

That article was published on April 1 which means it was authored in March. Remember way back then? The WHO and CDC were both anti-mask to prevent the unwashed masses from hoarding N95 masks and other PPE needed by medical professionals. Even Tucker Carlson was ranting about it the last few days of March. A ton of data has been collected since then and that totally unfounded opinion has been completely debunked.

Personally, I'd rather not land in the hospital with pneumonia because you refuse to wear a mask. I'm not 80+ in a nursing home. I'm not diabetic. I don't have COPD. I'm not hypertensive. It probably won't kill me but I'd rather avoid contracting it until an effective vaccine or treatment exists.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Per HIPAA, you are not required to show anyone anything. You can simply say you aren't wearing one due to medical reasons and they cannot ask you anymore.

Do you bring in your emotional support dog, too? People abused that with the airlines and now need to show a real physician's note and submit all the forms 48 hours in advance. It does not violate HIPAA. An airline can do the same thing with mask use. That extends to any other business. You are confusing this with employer/employee disclosure which is protected under HIPAA.

Here's a link to the American Airlines form to bring an emotional support animal onto a plane. The mental health physician needs to sign it. As the "but my rights" people make huge scenes at airports about mask mandates, the same thing is inevitably going to happen with mask use.

https://www.aa.com/content/images/tr...t-09202019.pdf

Old 06-16-2020, 07:23 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's funny to me that the people who are complaining about government tyranny with regard to having to wear face masks are strangely silent at reports that the President wants to quell citizens expressing their First Amendment rights with military force, which actually *is* tyrannical. It's only tyranny when they don't like it.

Yes, I have seen those "reports" of the President wanting to limit the right of citizens to "peaceably assemble" to have a "peaceable" protest.
The problem is, it appears that is NOT what the President wants to do. You want to have a "peaceable" protest, go right ahead, that is your Constitutional right under the First Amendment.
However, when you cross the line and start a riot, or start looting stores, or burning stores and homes, then you have NO Constitutional right to continue, and the Mayor or the Governor should and must put a stop to it. If they can not or will not, then the President is authorized to take action, under existing law (look it up), using military forces if necessary to maintain order.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post

But wait...
Isn't the purpose of YOUR mask to protect you from the viral droplets spread by other people? If you are masked, why are you worrying about what others do? You are PROTECTED, right? Don't you believe that scarf wrapped around your face protects you? (it doesn't)
My mask is an industrial N95, with the exhaust valve built in. It protects me from inhaling the exhalations of other people (sort of), but it does nothing for protecting anybody else from my exhalations. But, the mask aficionados see it, and think it is wonderful. That's fine, whatever makes them happy, and I have my limited protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates