Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 11:17 AM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post

Watch, as soon as the election is over it all disappears.
I disagree. If Trump wins, they keep up the pressure by rioting. If Biden wins, they keep up the pressure by rioting.

BLM and Antifa have seen how financially and politically successful these riots have been. Why would they ever stop until they get their own President? And don't think just because BLM considers Biden more pliable that they actually like him. They hate Biden as much as any other statue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 02:23 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
There used to be a saying "I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it". (Usually attributed to Voltaire)

Today it's more fashionable to fight to the death against a person's right to an unpopular opinion. Notice I say it's more fashionable, not more common. At least for now.

Is it too late to stand up for Confederate statues? Not to be on the right side of history, but to be on the right side of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Thought.

I am 59 years old, born and raised in New Jersey. I have voted Republican for President in every election except 1980 when I voted for John Anderson. I went to prep school and college and I work at a white collar job. I have no cultural connection to the South and I've never understood why people fly Confederate flags just because they like NASCAR, or country music, or Lynyrd Skynyrd. Just putting my credentials out there; not a bleeding heart and not a redneck.

But now they are coming for me. They are coming for my statues. They are coming for statues of Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and last night in Madison WI they tore down a statue of militant abolitionist Col. Hans Christian Heg who was killed in 1863 fighting for the Union and to end slavery.

They will be coming for your statues next. And if you don't care about statues they will be coming for something else that you do care about.

Now I regret not standing up for Confederate statues, if only by posting an opinion on the internet, when mobs of rioters first started tearing them down several years ago. I fear that the mob has too much power now and I fear where this will end. I used to think that if I was living in Germany in the 1930's I would be one of the good guys standing up to the brown shirts. But in today's world it doesn't seem so easy to stand up to a mob, not when the mob can burn and loot an entire downtown and get away with it. Not when people are getting fired from their jobs for engaging in speech that's unpopular with the mob. Where were the police on Kristallnacht and why didn't anyone, or more than a handful, stand up to the mob then? Because the mob was too powerful, powerful enough to make the police stand down, and people were afraid of the mob. Just like today in America.
I think toppling statues is a mistake and a distraction, but comparing it to Kristallnacht is absurd.
Kristallnacht was started by Nazi militias, on the orders of their commanders, not by a "mob."
And the German police didn't interfere because Nazi leaders had told them to stand aside
(except to protect non-Jewish property): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht

Old 06-26-2020, 03:17 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Athletes and other sports personalities who are conservative face a bigger backlash than Kaepernick ever did. The NBA's Sacramento Kings fired their announcer after 32 years because he said "All lives matter". The football coach at Oklahoma State was forced to apologize for wearing a t-shirt with the logo of a little-known right wing news outlet. Curt Schilling may never be elected to the Hall of Fame. Drew Brees was forced to apologize for saying he would stand for the National Anthem to honor veterans in his family.

LOL my imagination? At least it's not my memory. I'll yield to you as the movie expert about the timing of Hanoi Jane's Oscar roles. My point is that after being blackballed for a very good reason, all was forgiven and she went on to a storied and lucrative career.

I never said she shouldn't be honored for her movie work. Where did you even get that? I thought she was great in Agnes of God, 9 to 5, even Barbarella. In fact I pointed out that she has been honored, and that no anti-Jane fanatic has destroyed her sidewalk marker in Hollywood, although other markers there have been attacked by rabid political ideologues.
Bigger backlash than losing a job for five years or more? What other athlete has been so vilified and had his life threatened so often? I'm not going to accept that an announcer getting fired is anywhere equivalent. I don't believe that being forced to apologize for bad judgement is more serious. Schilling and the Hall of Fame? No big deal, marginal stats, bad personality. Is he the only fence-sitter who lost out?

Drew Brees was not "forced to apologize" for anything, he chose to. Now whether that was because he finally pulled his head out of that deep dark smelly place he kept it or it was a fake apology because he didn't have the spine to stick to his own beliefs, I don't know but the choice was his.

There was no good reason at all for Jane Fonda to be blacklisted at the height of her career, she was an American citizen exercising her rights. If people like Fonda had never stood up to be heard we'd still have Americans purposelessly dying in southeast Asian jungles today.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I think toppling statues is a mistake and a distraction, but comparing it to Kristallnacht is absurd.
Kristallnacht was started by Nazi militias, on the orders of their commanders, not by a "mob."
And the German police didn't interfere because Nazi leaders had told them to stand aside
(except to protect non-Jewish property): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht
You really think the comparison is absurd? You say the police stood by because the Nazi political leaders told them to. Well, in America in 2020 the police stood by and allowed whole neighborhoods and business areas to burn and be looted because our political leaders told them to.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Bigger backlash than losing a job for five years or more? What other athlete has been so vilified and had his life threatened so often? I'm not going to accept that an announcer getting fired is anywhere equivalent. I don't believe that being forced to apologize for bad judgement is more serious. Schilling and the Hall of Fame? No big deal, marginal stats, bad personality. Is he the only fence-sitter who lost out?
Kaepernick didn't lose his job because of his kneeling. Plenty of NFL players kneel and they haven't lost their jobs. And Kaepernick is not too bright anyway, wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt in Miami while talking to Cuabn refugees. If you want him as a backup QB on your team you can have him.

Quote:
Drew Brees was not "forced to apologize" for anything, he chose to. Now whether that was because he finally pulled his head out of that deep dark smelly place he kept it or it was a fake apology because he didn't have the spine to stick to his own beliefs, I don't know but the choice was his.
Sure he was. The entire locker room rose up in outrage when he said he wanted to honor his grandfather. He could have retired and gone home, but for personal reasons he chose not to. Maybe he just didn't want to be a martyr.

Quote:
There was no good reason at all for Jane Fonda to be blacklisted at the height of her career, she was an American citizen exercising her rights. If people like Fonda had never stood up to be heard we'd still have Americans purposelessly dying in southeast Asian jungles today.
Most Vietnam vets say there was a good reason to boycott Hanoi Jane. And it's possible that any studio hiring her in the late 60's or early 70's would have had a tough time getting financing or a union crew to shoot the film in the U.S. And check your timeline. American soldiers are still dying overseas for no good reason. Ever hear of Afghanistan? The "good war" was started 19 years ago and we killed the guy we started it over. Why haven't any Hollywood starlets gone over for photo ops with the Taliban and show the world what nice guys they are once you get to know them?

Old 06-26-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Kaepernick didn't lose his job because of his kneeling. Plenty of NFL players kneel and they haven't lost their jobs. And Kaepernick is not too bright anyway, wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt in Miami while talking to Cuabn refugees. If you want him as a backup QB on your team you can have him.

Sure he was. The entire locker room rose up in outrage when he said he wanted to honor his grandfather. He could have retired and gone home, but for personal reasons he chose not to. Maybe he just didn't want to be a martyr.

Most Vietnam vets say there was a good reason to boycott Hanoi Jane. And it's possible that any studio hiring her in the late 60's or early 70's would have had a tough time getting financing or a union crew to shoot the film in the U.S. And check your timeline. American soldiers are still dying overseas for no good reason. Ever hear of Afghanistan? The "good war" was started 19 years ago and we killed the guy we started it over. Why haven't any Hollywood starlets gone over for photo ops with the Taliban and show the world what nice guys they are once you get to know them?

Of course Kaepernick lost his job because he knelt; to dispute that would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. Guevara has been and still is a hero to most of Cuban origin although some of those in Miami may be of differing mindsets. Thousands of Cuban Americans go back and forth every month; there is no singular opinion.

There is nothing courageous about a guy who will change his views depending on which way the wind blows, Brees backed taking away that which his grandfathers fought to protect, the right to dissent, until he "saw the light." Jane Fonda stood up for that right to dissent fifty years ago. Because of millions of dissenters like her we finally extricated ourselves from southeast Asia. What was the "good reason" most of those Vietnam vets you discussed it with say should have silenced the protestors? Your guessing at financing and staffing film production because of an actress's political views is ridiculous.

Don't tell me to check my timeline, I lived on it. What does any of that have to do with Afghanistan? Who called it a "good war?" Politicians?

Old 06-26-2020, 07:09 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
They were erected to glorify the Confederacy at a time when the South started the Jim Crow racial segregation laws.

https://www.history.com/news/how-the...rate-monuments

Most governments would not allow a revival of popular following for a rebellion.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:44 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

I doubt you have ever really looked into how despicable Fonda really was.............

Traitor Jane Fonda

Old 06-27-2020, 12:16 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Sure, "we'll be OK" without Confederate statues. We'll also be OK without statues of Columbus, Martin Luther King, FDR, Rosa Parks, etc.
And as soon I say that:
"they'll find some way to rewrite history to say that they were fighting for a noble cause"

The OP compares MLK and Rosa Parks to the so-called "confederate heroes" that took arms against US military and fought to preserve slavery

Old 06-27-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I doubt you have ever really looked into how despicable Fonda really was.............

Traitor Jane Fonda
Jane Fonda is an American who voices her opinion; there is nothing despicable about that.

Despicable is sending tens of thousands of people to die for political and economic purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates