Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 07:02 PM

24 posts, read 6,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408
I would like it if we moved to a model where people who are feeling sick (no matter what kind of sick) would wear masks.
Thats exactly the way I think it should be!!

But even then would they even wear them??

Old 06-27-2020, 10:23 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,425 times
Let's put it this way. If you were going into battle against an enemy with machine guns, would you wear a bullet proof vest and helmet only part of the time, or all the time?

Why does it have to be mandated by law? Just common sense.

Wear a mask if there is a threat of getting sick. Studies have proven masks reduce the spread of this disease.

It may also help reduce the common cold, flu, and other respiratory illnesses as well.

In the future it will seem barbaric to people that we know masks work to protect our health and safety, and so many callously refused to wear it only when out in public going to stores, etc., to reduce the risk of the disease to the helpless store employees and the elderly who are very vulnerable.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:41 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
In the future it will seem barbaric to people that we know masks work to protect our health and safety, and so many callously refused to wear it only when out in public going to stores, etc., to reduce the risk of the disease to the helpless store employees and the elderly who are very vulnerable.
We know that driving at high-speed means higher kinetic energy and less time to react to some obstacle ahead in the road. Fast driving is more dangerous than slow driving. It's going to kill or maim more people.

In most states, the open-highway speed limit is around 70 mph. In the future, would it not seem barbaric, that our speed limits were so high? I mean, between the more ghastly fatalities at those speeds, the wear on the roads and the environmental damage of burning more fuel to produce the horsepower to reach those speeds, would it not be the civilized thing, to reduce speed limits to 55 mph? Or maybe even 35 mph?

Such a callously selfish society... fanatically enamored of high-speed driving, despite such grievous cost of lost lives and damaged environment!!!

Old 06-28-2020, 01:18 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Since I can't breath easily in a mask no matter how thin for more than 20 minutes or so I'm done as soon as COVID is no more deadly than a seasonal flu, even a bad one. I wasn't made to have my face covered and my breathing restricted. I need to breath cool air and not have something covering my skin. If I get it, and/or become immune to it, I won't wear one either.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:43 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Agree.

WWII- ration cards, blackouts, curfews?
I know! My parents were kids then and told me about how everyone "pulled together" because of the war effort.

No one whined. Who knew how long WWII was going to continue? People were creative and patriotic.

My parents' childhood WAS WWII. Victory gardens, rations, no silk stockings - no one cared. It had to be done.

The virus doesn't know if you are an Independent, a Republican, a Libertarian or Democrat. It wants to kill or maim you.

The current president is not a scientist. Do the people who follow him not care about themselves? Others?
Do not danger others, or put others in danger.

If you truly want to make America great again, try caring for others and pulling together at times of crisis.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:28 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
i think i'm gonna' wear a mask forever.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:30 AM

602 posts, read 504,783 times
I support having a "sunset clause" in the mask laws for the fears mentioned in this thread - but it shouldn't be a date, but rather once the number of active COVID-19 cases in the area drops below a certain threshold for a certain amount of time. That way there is a public incentive to get the number of cases down, there isn't the concern about renewing the law once the date comes and goes and the cases are still high, and the law expires once its purpose is no longer a concern (but no sooner and no later).

Old 06-28-2020, 08:33 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Since I can't breath easily in a mask no matter how thin for more than 20 minutes or so I'm done as soon as COVID is no more deadly than a seasonal flu, even a bad one. I wasn't made to have my face covered and my breathing restricted. I need to breath cool air and not have something covering my skin. If I get it, and/or become immune to it, I won't wear one either.
Agreed. I am over this mask thing and don’t wear it in public unless I absolutely have to. Like I had to at the eye doctor this past week. If I was dealer for her service, I would have just postponed. But somehow I had already stretched a years worth of contacts for 3....

I have walked out of stores, restaurants and bars. I frequent the places that are not mask nazis.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:59 AM

142 posts, read 71,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Bingo! Agree with this assessment 100%. I have also seen Asians wearing masks well before this pandemic and never knew why, but not I completely understand.

I would love it if people did it naturally. Now, I don't think it will be mandated after the pandemic ends, but out of common courtesy, I wish people would adopt this habit, along with better general hygiene (more frequent hand washing, not coming to work when you are sick, better everyday cleaning habits, etc.).
That would never have happen because the American mentality is that they don't care about other people and their health. I hope this mask thing isn't the future.
People can't afford to stay home if they are sick. They aren't paid enough and insurance sucks.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:15 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,418,407 times
QUESTION...where can we get the medical mask that are effective in filtering out the virus. These home made mask and ones for sale at some stores and on line are NOT CERTIFIED BY MEDICAL STANDARDS....are not good enough to really protect us.There has been more than enough time for the mask (like the ones I got at home depot 2 years ago) to be produced for all of us to be able to get one. WHERE ARE THEY? are they being horded by our government? We deserve some straight answers .

Last edited by Mr78609; 06-28-2020 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates