Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 01:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

When we (the government)decided to decriminalize crime and try to make money on it (tax)we ourselves became pimps and dealers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 01:20 PM

30,146 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
When we (the government)decided to decriminalize crime and try to make money on it (tax)we ourselves became pimps and dealers

Alcohol would be one example something decriminalized. Should we ban booze again?

Old 09-26-2020, 01:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Alcohol would be one example something decriminalized. Should we ban booze again?
I am not sure the banning of alcohol caused enormous growth in the Chicago gangs
Legalizing alcohol reduced crime and gang growth
That having been said
Once I have learned to use a hammer is every situation a nail?

Old 09-26-2020, 01:25 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
It’s 100% legal in Canada, just another reason they’re better than America

Sex is natural and if two private consenting parties want to make it a transaction then so be it. This transaction already takes place legally in the form of sugar daddies and sugar babies.

The government is not in the position to legislate the bedroom, kudos on Canada for setting the example.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:36 PM

30,146 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
I am not sure the banning of alcohol caused enormous growth in the Chicago gangs
Legalizing alcohol reduced crime and gang growth
That having been said
Once I have learned to use a hammer is every situation a nail?
I am a Libertarian. Both Dems and GOP's want government control over certain aspects of peoples lives where it does more harm than good.

Every situation is not the same but its probably easier to make a case for alcohol to be illegal compared to prostitution. Two adult people want to bang and one of them wants to be paid for it no societal harm is done. If someone drinks, DUI's and all sorts of bad behavior can follow it like spousal abuse. And the addiction can cause one to lose their job, family, etc. Gambling can be another activity that can wreck havoc in peoples lives.

That being said its a losing battle to ban things that a lot of people believe should be legal. Like marijuana. As long as its between consenting adults and it does not directly harm anyone it seems to me to be better to make it legal and tax and regulate it.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:54 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Really? Beneficial to the girls that get trafficked? And I do mean "girls", i.e. children, not to mention the adult women who fall into that trap.

People who think legalized prostitution is a good idea tend to vote against having it in their neighborhoods. If it's such a good idea, why would they not want it near them?
Sex trafficking is illegal. Any victim being trafficked can go to the cops and report it. Oh, wait, they are criminals, so they can't go to the cops. They are criminals, so they have to keep it secret. Fortunately, the moralists don't have to confront the damage they do, because it's secret. They love sex trafficking. It gives them something to deplore.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:01 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Prisons are already big money, and the US leads the world in that industry. We imprison more of our citizens than any other nation in the world. We block the ability to get hired, so they are branded as criminals for life and have no choice but to continue to be criminals. Of course, we could repeal the laws against victimless crimes, but that would pick the pocket of the billionaires who run the prison system.

Here is a list of the nations with the highest incarceration rate. The US is right up there, leading the banana republics.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...0-inhabitants/

Old 09-26-2020, 06:36 PM

491 posts, read 324,474 times
The US approach is ridicilous. Regulate, legalize, tax and de-stigmatize it. It's a job like any other.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:35 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Where have there been votes on legalizing prostitution in certain areas? I don't remember voting on something like that.
. Nevada. This is why the houses of prostitution tend to be out of town, out in the desert someplace. Although that's not the only form prostitution takes in Nevada. Still, residents have made it clear in the past, that they don't want it in their neighborhoods.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:09 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Really? Beneficial to the girls that get trafficked? And I do mean "girls", i.e. children, not to mention the adult women who fall into that trap.

People who think legalized prostitution is a good idea tend to vote against having it in their neighborhoods. If it's such a good idea, why would they not want it near them?
I think pretty much everyone votes against having it in their hoods. It's not confined to only those who want to legalize it. That's why cities when legalizing, now often designate where brothels can be located, such as industrial areas, as opposed to next to schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates