Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 05:03 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, come on, Rachel! You know he had to fund his first tax breaks for they rich somehow! You're not seriously suggesting, that breakthroughs in mental health care are more important than funding "trickle-down economics", are you?

I propose, that, similar to the "Hoovervilles" of the Depression, we start calling the homeless encampments everywhere "Reaganvilles".

I'd love to hear what Carter has to say, about the repeal of that particular piece of legislation.
Homelessness is a choice. Most of the time. While a few homeless people are genuinely catastrophic stories, the vast majority are people self-reduced to their blithering idiot status by drinking, drugging, conforming with other losers, being lazy, not paying bills, not repaying debts, and then compounding the problem over years with bad decision after bad decision. We see the final pathetic mess and are supposed to be compassionate. But most of the time, homeless people begged reality to be homeless, and reality said: “OK, no problem, give me a minute...”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 05:36 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,873,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Homelessness is a choice. Most of the time. While a few homeless people are genuinely catastrophic stories, the vast majority are people self-reduced to their blithering idiot status by drinking, drugging, conforming with other losers, being lazy, not paying bills, not repaying debts, and then compounding the problem over years with bad decision after bad decision. We see the final pathetic mess and are supposed to be compassionate. But most of the time, homeless people begged reality to be homeless, and reality said: “OK, no problem, give me a minute...”
Count yourself fortunate that you were born into an era that didn't draft young men to fight in senseless overseas wars. Many of those young men came home unable to cope with what they had experienced, and these are the shattered individuals I've seen in homeless conditions. Even today, we have service people coming back from having served in the Middle East where they suffered head injuries from IEDs.

Yes, we see "the final pathetic mess" of these and others, and we are supposed to be compassionate. You really don't know what others have experienced that you may so blithely judge them.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Count yourself fortunate that you were born into an era that didn't draft young men to fight in senseless overseas wars. Many of those young men came home unable to cope with what they had experienced, and these are the shattered individuals I've seen in homeless conditions. Even today, we have service people coming back from having served in the Middle East where they suffered head injuries from IEDs.

Yes, we see "the final pathetic mess" of these and others, and we are supposed to be compassionate. You really don't know what others have experienced that you may so blithely judge them.
They weren’t all senseless wars. Many of them were sensible. In any case, your typical homeless person is not a war torn victim. The typical homeless person is a drug abuser who made bad decisions that led to adversity that led to more bad decisions. The responsibility for being homeless typically lies with choices the homeless person made.

In the old days being homeless was less of an option because we literally didn’t put up with it. Nowadays we cater to it and make demands on hardworking people to subsidize it. We have to stop catering to weakness and start making demands on people to act in their own best interest. And if they don’t, and they loiter and harass people we arrest them and make an example for others not to follow. It’s called enabling.

You don’t see this in, say, Japan. There are no homeless people in Tokyo. At least functionally. The homeless that do exist there are generally quiet and respectful and stay out of the way. Even they have some pride. They don’t harass and beg. They don’t shoot up. They don’t imbibe. You want to actually help them because they need it but don’t make themselves into snot-nosed vagabonds building squalor huts all over the streets and harassing hard-working citizens. And then having SJW apologists making excuses for them and proclaiming that it’s inequality caused by the privileged people who need to be soaked to pay for “affordable” housing to keep them in comfort, providing “clean needles” to keep them alive and drugged out.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:27 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
They weren’t all senseless wars. Many of them were sensible. In any case, your typical homeless person is not a war torn victim. The typical homeless person is a drug abuser who made bad decisions that led to adversity that led to more bad decisions. The responsibility for being homeless typically lies with choices the homeless person made.

In the old days being homeless was less of an option because we literally didn’t put up with it. Nowadays we cater to it and make demands on hardworking people to subsidize it. We have to stop catering to weakness and start making demands on people to act in their own best interest. And if they don’t, and they loiter and harass people we arrest them and make an example for others not to follow. It’s called enabling.

You don’t see this in, say, Japan. There are no homeless people in Tokyo. At least functionally. The homeless that do exist there are generally quiet and respectful and stay out of the way. Even they have some pride. They don’t harass and beg. They don’t shoot up. They don’t imbibe. You want to actually help them because they need it but don’t make themselves into snot-nosed vagabonds building squalor huts all over the streets and harassing hard-working citizens. And then having SJW apologists making excuses for them and proclaiming that it’s inequality caused by the privileged people who need to be soaked to pay for “affordable” housing to keep them in comfort, providing “clean needles” to keep them alive and drugged out.
The high cost of any housing in and around major cities is the big culprit in homelessness. My son recently moved out of our home in metropolitan Salt Lake City. His rent? Just over $1,000.00 a month for a two bedroom apartment. With many jobs in the economy part time and with wages for many at $10 to $15 an hour its extremely difficult for the working poor to find any housing. Additionally, many communities resist the building of low income housing because their residents believe that "will lower the property values". Maybe it does, but it puts the working poor in a position where its very difficult for them to obtain housing. I know people who aren't homeless, but they live in small apartments with numerous roommates. One fellow lives in an old trailer parked in front of a family members home. That's hard too though because the police will cite anyone with a trailer that is parked on the street for more than a couple of days.

Its easy to tell the working poor that the solution to this problem is move somewhere where the COL is cheaper. However, that often doesn't work because often those communities have little in the way of employment opportunities. Jobs tend to be largely clustered in and around cities. Even when someone lands a job the cost of the commute has to be figured into it. If one is spending $20 a day on gasoline and car maintenance expenses that means you are losing $2.50 an hour from your wages.

Its easy to be glib and condescending towards the homeless. I myself have little sympathy for drug addicts. However, the USA is not a particularly easy country these days for the working poor to find a decent standard of living. I only see homelessness rising....

Old 01-26-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The high cost of any housing in and around major cities is the big culprit in homelessness. My son recently moved out of our home in metropolitan Salt Lake City. His rent? Just over $1,000.00 a month for a two bedroom apartment. With many jobs in the economy part time and with wages for many at $10 to $15 an hour its extremely difficult for the working poor to find any housing. Additionally, many communities resist the building of low income housing because their residents believe that "will lower the property values". Maybe it does, but it puts the working poor in a position where its very difficult for them to obtain housing. I know people who aren't homeless, but they live in small apartments with numerous roommates. One fellow lives in an old trailer parked in front of a family members home. That's hard too though because the police will cite anyone with a trailer that is parked on the street for more than a couple of days.

Its easy to tell the working poor that the solution to this problem is move somewhere where the COL is cheaper. However, that often doesn't work because often those communities have little in the way of employment opportunities. Jobs tend to be largely clustered in and around cities. Even when someone lands a job the cost of the commute has to be figured into it. If one is spending $20 a day on gasoline and car maintenance expenses that means you are losing $2.50 an hour from your wages.

Its easy to be glib and condescending towards the homeless. I myself have little sympathy for drug addicts. However, the USA is not a particularly easy country these days for the working poor to find a decent standard of living. I only see homelessness rising....
So if your son had a roommate, he’d be paying $500/month for rent? How is that not just fine?

I don’t think it’s any different now than any other time. Housing was, and is, always expensive and when you are starting out in the workforce in your 20s. You don’t get to have your own place. You bunk in with others or live at home. That’s completely correct and expected.

The key is not doing something stupid like having a kid in these circumstances. So let’s say you’re an irresponsible idiot and you have a kid with your live-in girlfriend, and things sour and she hits you with child support, and you can’t afford housing. So you start drinking, lose your job, and spiral down and become homeless.

Guess what? You CHOSE to be homeless. By making bad decisions. You don’t get to make bad decisions and then expect me to build you low income housing at my expense with money taken from me that I earned because I am not stupid and I did not make a series of bad decisions.

I can understand cancer or something like that totally out of your control. But that’s not the usual case. It’s usually somebody choosing to become a drunk or banging someone and popping out humans they cannot afford, or choosing to abuse substances out of a lack of personal character, or getting a DWI and losing driving privileges. These are all choices, and I don’t intend to pay for affordable housing for people that do this and other similar crap.

You contracted ALS and you’re now getting symptoms and can’t work? Fine, I’ll agree on help for you using taxation. But that’s not typically the case. It’s most often a pathetic end result from clearly bad choices.

People that pull that crap are on their own. Seek charity or ask for help from family, friends, your church, whatever. No affordable housing for people like that built on the backs of others. It’s not justice to expect that and society should not force free citizens to fund that.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:44 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
Quote:

What's your solution if a "war torn victim" becomes a drug abuser?

Re Tokyo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_in_Japan

Old 01-27-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
What's your solution if a "war torn victim" becomes a drug abuser?

Re Tokyo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_in_Japan
My solution is anyone who is injured in active duty serving his country should receive lifetime health insurance. Which would help with ongoing mental illness issues resulting from that service. A person going into combat EARNS that and should be paid for making the ultimate risk.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:05 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
Quote:
My solution is anyone who is injured in active duty serving his country should receive lifetime health insurance. Which would help with ongoing mental illness issues resulting from that service. A person going into combat EARNS that and should be paid for making the ultimate risk.
So your case against some drug abusers doesn't hold up, now you're on the slippery slope......of society knows better, the hell with all that rugged individualism malarkey.....
Any word on Tokyo?

Old 01-27-2021, 08:46 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
So if your son had a roommate, he’d be paying $500/month for rent? How is that not just fine?

I don’t think it’s any different now than any other time. Housing was, and is, always expensive and when you are starting out in the workforce in your 20s. You don’t get to have your own place. You bunk in with others or live at home. That’s completely correct and expected.

The key is not doing something stupid like having a kid in these circumstances. So let’s say you’re an irresponsible idiot and you have a kid with your live-in girlfriend, and things sour and she hits you with child support, and you can’t afford housing. So you start drinking, lose your job, and spiral down and become homeless.

Guess what? You CHOSE to be homeless. By making bad decisions. You don’t get to make bad decisions and then expect me to build you low income housing at my expense with money taken from me that I earned because I am not stupid and I did not make a series of bad decisions.

I can understand cancer or something like that totally out of your control. But that’s not the usual case. It’s usually somebody choosing to become a drunk or banging someone and popping out humans they cannot afford, or choosing to abuse substances out of a lack of personal character, or getting a DWI and losing driving privileges. These are all choices, and I don’t intend to pay for affordable housing for people that do this and other similar crap.

You contracted ALS and you’re now getting symptoms and can’t work? Fine, I’ll agree on help for you using taxation. But that’s not typically the case. It’s most often a pathetic end result from clearly bad choices.

People that pull that crap are on their own. Seek charity or ask for help from family, friends, your church, whatever. No affordable housing for people like that built on the backs of others. It’s not justice to expect that and society should not force free citizens to fund that.
FTR, my son does have a roommate. That wasn't the point. The point is that the cost of rent is a huge percentage of the take home pay that even college graduates in fields like accounting earn.

I know plenty of people who are not drunks, not drug addicts, and are not "popping out kids" that are still struggling to keep a roof over their heads. Most of them are succeeding, but all it would take is a little misfortune. That could include being laid off, getting hurt in an accident and being unable to work for a few weeks, or having to help out with a sick relative.

After all these years, Mark, I know you are hopelessly committed to this idea that people are always responsible for their misfortunes in life. This is not really meant for you. Its meant for those who don't have such a black/white notion of life. I agree that not everyone deserves our help. However, there are some that do for no reason of their own fall through the cracks. I will go to my grave believing there is a moral obligation to help those people. Help can come from individuals. I also fail to see a reason why the government can't provide some assistance too.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
So your case against some drug abusers doesn't hold up, now you're on the slippery slope......of society knows better, the hell with all that rugged individualism malarkey.....
Any word on Tokyo?
Drug abusers who can rationally trace that use to trauma from risking their life for my freedom get to receive my help from tax dollars. Loser pot users and drunks who do nothing and spiral from their own lack of character can enjoy living under a bridge and kiss my...

The word on Tokyo is that the homeless retain some measure of pride, do not panhandle, and do not have a fan club of putrescent progressive sycophants at their beck and call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates