Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 04:32 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I like capitalism - with laws protecting the poor from exploitation. I also like individualism as long as it's coupled with common sense. Canada and Australia /NZ share 'Western individualism' with us but handled COVID far, far better.
I like how Sweden handled Covid: with barely any lockdowns at all. Which is especially shocking, considering how it's one of the world's most leftist counties. It wanted to tax all cis men for "being potential domestic abusers", to use that money to fund battered women's shelters. And yet, it gave Noem and DeSantis a run for their money. AU and NZ, on the other hand, were extremely trigger-happy with the lockdowns; I feel sorry for their residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 04:49 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
You're not getting off that easily........
You described the advocates for the homeless in the US as:

I asked, if that's the case, what then do you call the Japanese homeless advocates who appear to have been more successful than their US counterparts?
Misguided.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:12 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Misguided.
That's a 180 Somersault, hope you don't hurt your head......

Old 01-29-2021, 04:23 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I like how Sweden handled Covid: with barely any lockdowns at all. Which is especially shocking, considering how it's one of the world's most leftist counties. It wanted to tax all cis men for "being potential domestic abusers", to use that money to fund battered women's shelters. And yet, it gave Noem and DeSantis a run for their money. AU and NZ, on the other hand, were extremely trigger-happy with the lockdowns; I feel sorry for their residents.
This is amazingly uninformed. Sweden eventually had to do a full 180 on their policies. Face masks are now mandatory on public transportation. High schools are closed. Their king before Christmas said “We have failed”. I realize that this flies in the face of your narrative but you don’t know what you’re talking about.

The South African mutation looks like it defeats the vaccines. Australia and New Zealand don’t care. Their policies should keep it out. Life is normal there. The United States should have pulled the plug on the borders with a mandatory 2 week quarantine a year ago.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:21 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
You believe this because you only heard what you wanted to hear. The message you wanted to hear was that we could all just ignore coronavirus, not wear masks, and just go back to doing everything the way we used to do it.

The reality is that Sweden had the highest fatality and disease rates among all the Scandinavian countries.

The only reason these rates were not higher in Sweden is because the population largely engaged in social distancing and masking on its own--without a government mandate.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You believe this because you only heard what you wanted to hear. The message you wanted to hear was that we could all just ignore coronavirus, not wear masks, and just go back to doing everything the way we used to do it.
Until a critical mass of people stands up for themselves and takes back the real normal, we'll all be masking and social distancing for the rest of our lives. That means never seeing friends in person, never hugging grandparents, never going anywhere except Walmart, and never having any fun not involving Zoom. You may be happy with that lifestyle, but I'm not.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:35 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Until a critical mass of people stands up for themselves and takes back the real normal, we'll all be masking and social distancing for the rest of our lives. That means never seeing friends in person, never hugging grandparents, never going anywhere except Walmart, and never having any fun not involving Zoom. You may be happy with that lifestyle, but I'm not.
NO ONE is happy living like that. Neither were people happy with rationing or blacking their windows or having to get to an air raid shelter in the middle of the night, or sending their children to live in the relative safety of the countryside rather than in the cities during the years when Germany was bombing England. But the people of England understood what they needed to do, and they got through it.

Honestly, I often think that Americans are spoilt brats, with all the complaining one hears. Wearing a face-mask and social distancing are relatively minor inconveniences, compared to the genuine hardships that others have suffered during times of danger. WW II didn't last forever, and neither will this pandemic.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
NO ONE is happy living like that. Neither were people happy with rationing or blacking their windows or having to get to an air raid shelter in the middle of the night. ... WW II didn't last forever, and neither will this pandemic.
The "pandemic" has been mostly over for me since months ago. That's when I kicked all liberal friends out of my life and blocked them on Facebook, and made new conservative friends. (Moderate and apolitical friends stayed in status quo.) It was a net loss of 2 friends, but I'm happier than I ever was since March 2020. What we can't do in closed restaurants and bars, we do equivalents at house parties. I'm just feeling salty than I didn't meet those conservative friends sooner. I spent a lot of time alone with my thoughts in April thru June with no end in sight, and Zoom'ing doesn't count as socializing in my book.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-29-2021 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-29-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Until the vaccines are fully deployed, you will toe the line and do what you are told. It doesn’t matter what you want. It’s called recognizing reality and being an adult.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The "pandemic" has been mostly over for me since months ago. That's when I kicked all liberal friends out of my life and blocked them on Facebook, and made new conservative friends. (Moderate and apolitical friends stayed in status quo.) It was a net loss of 2 friends, but I'm happier than I ever was since March 2020. What we can't do in closed restaurants and bars, we do equivalents at house parties. I'm just feeling salty than I didn't meet those conservative friends sooner. I spent a lot of time alone with my thoughts in April thru June with no end in sight, and Zoom'ing doesn't count as socializing in my book.
Hopefully your conservative friends are not of the religious-mystic stripe that seem to be acting irrationally and ignoring science. If they are, you are being misled. Time to dump them and find conservative secular friends that understand and are conversant with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates