Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 07:02 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The energy czar would need to create an alliance with China, India and Russia to resolve climate change. Whether this could ever be achieved with all the ideological differences between the world’s biggest polluters is problematic.

Meanwhile at least in the United States there would be a well funded and politically supported powerful climate denial lobby which would push back on any dramatic anti pollution measures. This country can’t even reach a consensus on masking and vaccinations for Covid.

In the end there may never be a concerted world effort to combat global warming. At some point in the future mankind will reach an apocalyptic world changing tipping point that will slowly and surely make Mother Earth uninhabitable. Call me a pessimist.
China seems interested in climate change mitigation, at least on paper, especially in the last 7-8 years. The Chinese political system has the ability, if it wanted, to make strides quickly. China is also interested in being a global role model. I don't think they need that much pushing.

Russia is more in denial. Putin is similar to American conservatives, saying "it's something to do with the universe." It makes sense, given Russia has more to lose from inhibiting fossil fuel production. However, Putin has publicly acknowledged it's happenning and expressed concern about what will happen to the permafrost. Russia's territory is on the bleeding edge of climate change effects. It faced its worst wildfires ever and some of its worst floods ever last year which cost them a lot of money. So they may be coming around.

India is on track to make its Paris targets, one of the few countries to do so. Rhetorically they seem on board, so I don't think India will be a problem.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:42 PM

36 posts, read 34,579 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoriu..._nuclear_power

Thorium powered reactors - all the benefits of nuclear but way less risk and contamination.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:43 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The end goal is to stop climate change.

I admit I have little patience for those who see it as dark conspiracy of some sort to grab power.

Natural climate change has been going on for billions of years. The climate change in the past few decades is minor compared to historical.

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520...-without-water

Serious question......should we stop and mitigate natural climate change??

Old 04-17-2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Natural climate change has been going on for billions of years. The climate change in the past few decades is minor compared to historical.

"Natural" climate change doesn't happen within 100 years. More like a couple thousand at least.

But no matter. I just hope you're willing to fork over the disaster relief funds out of your taxes. I'll be one of the refugees. My town is ground zero to be the next Paradise, CA. I'll be applying for all the refugee aid and disaster relief available after my house burns down. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:50 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:

The issue isn't natural climate change. The issue is man-made climate change that is causing serious environmental impact like melting of the polar ice caps.

The CIA, NOAA, NASA, and all the government agencies accept that man made climate change is a real scientific phenomenon. We are talking large areas of land being unfit for agricultural production. We are talking about some island nations literally being submerged by the ocean. We are talking about millions of refugees seeking a new home because of the impact of climate change.

I get tired of others who dismiss this problem. The vast majority of scientists agree it is real. It is enough for me and other sane people.

Here is a list of groups of scientists that accept that man made climate change is real.

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Old 04-18-2021, 06:29 AM

6,700 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Quote:
The issue isn't natural climate change. The issue is man-made climate change that is causing serious environmental impact like melting of the polar ice caps.

The CIA, NOAA, NASA, and all the government agencies accept that man made climate change is a real scientific phenomenon. We are talking large areas of land being unfit for agricultural production. We are talking about some island nations literally being submerged by the ocean. We are talking about millions of refugees seeking a new home because of the impact of climate change.

I get tired of others who dismiss this problem. The vast majority of scientists agree it is real. It is enough for me and other sane people.

Here is a list of groups of scientists that accept that man made climate change is real.

Let's suppose it's true that humans are the primary cause of the warming trend.

So what's the panic? We're well along the way to adopting EV's, residential solar panels, and replacing coal with cleaner alternatives.

The 2020 pandemic has permanently changed people's lifestyles. Millions have discovered that they can work from home effectively.

Millions of 20-something people are opting for ride share over owning a vehicle. Within a generation, self-driving shared EV's will probably dominate the roads.

North America is reforesting and the world is trying to save the oceans from pollution and overfishing.

Electric aircraft are about to be a reality.

And these technologies are spreading all over the world including the biggest polluters India, China, and Africa.

It seems to me that we're taking care of things already. Despite what some Swedish teenager says, it's not a crisis.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:48 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:

And I can give you another list of scientists who agree the climate is changing but don't agree that it's man made. But you'll never see that list because they are smart enough not to stick their necks out in our current culture. Funny how a culture that claims to be for "scientific integrity" stifles all dissent.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Let's suppose it's true that humans are the primary cause of the warming trend.

So what's the panic? We're well along the way to adopting EV's, residential solar panels, and replacing coal with cleaner alternatives.

The 2020 pandemic has permanently changed people's lifestyles. Millions have discovered that they can work from home effectively.

Millions of 20-something people are opting for ride share over owning a vehicle. Within a generation, self-driving shared EV's will probably dominate the roads.

North America is reforesting and the world is trying to save the oceans from pollution and overfishing.

Electric aircraft are about to be a reality.

And these technologies are spreading all over the world including the biggest polluters India, China, and Africa.

It seems to me that we're taking care of things already. Despite what some Swedish teenager says, it's not a crisis.
Climate change is not a crisis in and of itself. The Earth will be fine. It has been both colder and hotter before and supported plenty of life throughout.

But humanity has organized itself according to a climate regime that is in a fairly narrow band. Humanity is not prepared to deal with a significantly warmer and more volatile Earth. Our supply chains, our entire economy are based on things such as growing seasons working like we are used to.

The crisis will not be singular, it will be multiple overlapping medium-sized crises that make all of our lives worse. We are already seeing it. Draughts that cause migration movements, having to respond to regional disaster after regional disaster, etc... For example, the wildfires last year were so bad because we ran out of resources to deal with them. One or two only and we could have controlled them.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
"Natural" climate change doesn't happen within 100 years. More like a couple thousand at least.

But no matter. I just hope you're willing to fork over the disaster relief funds out of your taxes. I'll be one of the refugees. My town is ground zero to be the next Paradise, CA. I'll be applying for all the refugee aid and disaster relief available after my house burns down. Thanks in advance.

Nope, happens much quicker than you think....read this book.

As a professional Forester since 1972 the forest fire issue has more to do with mis-management of the public lands by politicians, judges, and the environmental groups.

As I said before in this forum. This is the management of the forests that the public wanted because they elected the politicians that have been setting forest policy for the past 50 years.

Don't be a helpless victim...do something.

https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Educatio...e/Firewise-USA

Old 04-18-2021, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Nope, happens much quicker than you think....read this book.

As a professional Forester since 1972 the forest fire issue has more to do with mis-management of the public lands by politicians, judges, and the environmental groups.

As I said before in this forum. This is the management of the forests that the public wanted because they elected the politicians that have been setting forest policy for the past 50 years.

Don't be a helpless victim...do something.

https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Educatio...e/Firewise-USA
Ah yes. The environmentalists who hold so much power in the U.S. they can veto the entire power structure. Couple BLM bureaucrats, man, they're more powerful than billion dollar companies, governors and presidents combined.

Are the corresponding fires in Russia, Australia, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Sub-Saharan Africa, and basically around the world, due to judges and environmentalists? I'll be impressed if environmentalists have much say in Russia. Going to be another bad year there. Must be the fault of those Russian environmentalists who maintained power there for so long, because environmental protection in the old USSR was one of their legacies, and under Putin today they are so environmentally friendly, amirite?

https://www.carbonbrief.org/explaine...ound-the-world

Last edited by redguard57; 04-18-2021 at 11:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates