Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 01:59 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,542,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Based on my Google search, I don't believe I have any moral obligation to the wilfully unvaccinated, rather, they have an obligation to me! I'm open to persuasion.
you are the one who is vaccinated and thus supposedly protected. if you trust the medical establishment and the govt, why would you care if someone is unvaccinated? or is it because they are exerting free will and not bowing to the powers that be? big difference between the former and the latter!

Old 05-16-2021, 03:56 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
The epically disastrous low-fat diet was also pushed before the science was in.

Giving out antibiotics like candy--oops, shouldn't have been doing that.

Statins for all--oops, statins cause diabetes.

Strict bed rest for heart attack patients--oops, not good.

Long-term PPI use--oops, that can lead to bone fractures.

So to all who took this brand-new vaccine, I hope it's safe. Those claiming to be frightened can stay home like they've been haranguing everyone else to do for the past year.
What has this got to do with my post that you quoted?

Old 05-16-2021, 05:36 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
What about the "naturally" vaccinated? The ones who had it and recovered. If there is any difference in the protection level of anti-bodies created by recovery or vaccination, it is marginal.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:26 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
you are the one who is vaccinated and thus supposedly protected. if you trust the medical establishment and the govt, why would you care if someone is unvaccinated? or is it because they are exerting free will and not bowing to the powers that be? big difference between the former and the latter!
I care because the more people that are unvaccinated, the harder to reach herd immunity, the greater the risk of not getting any ice cream, and having to eat vegetables.
If the people exercising their free will could articulate a coherent basis for their position, I might throw them a bone.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
I care because the more people that are unvaccinated, the harder to reach herd immunity, the greater the risk of not getting any ice cream, and having to eat vegetables.
If the people exercising their free will could articulate a coherent basis for their position, I might throw them a bone.

You just glossed over the one I gave in the preceding post. What makes you think you are any more protected than I am?

Old 05-16-2021, 06:37 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What about the "naturally" vaccinated? The ones who had it and recovered. If there is any difference in the protection level of anti-bodies created by recovery or vaccination, it is marginal.
For those who are dead on the way to trying to achieve being "naturally vaccinated" antibodies are immaterial.

Those who become "naturally vaccinated" but were extremely sick or left with residual disabilities might have preferred to have gotten their antibodies from the vaccine.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:02 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that those who had and recovered from the virus now have natural immunity to it. Why expose yourself to the potential side effects of a vaccine if you are already naturally immune to the virus?

At this point, it looks as though a little over half of the country is vaccinated, a little under half is not vaccinated. But it's unclear how many of the unvaccinated have already had and recovered from the virus and thus have natural immunity to it.

Anyone who has immunity - whether it be natural or via vaccination - is contributing to herd immunity.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:42 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I understand the sentiment behind this idea and am somewhat sympathetic.

But people have been willingly and in most cases, knowingly, doing stupid things that within a few short weeks cause their death.
In cases like this, when we are trying to reach "herd immunity" through a vaccination program (as we do with most serious contagious diseases), there are requirements that people submit to the vaccination program. It's a matter of public health. Kids need certain vaccinations for school. Sometimes they need vaccinations for summer camp or other activities. Joining the military will require certain vaccinations. I hear that some employers are requiring COVID vaccinations. If they require you to pee in a cup they can require a shot. So, there should be similar requirements or incentives to underscore the need to be vaccinated. The idea of health insurers requiring (free) vaccinations is good business -- compared to days or weeks in an expensive hospital bed. There should be consequences for failure to be part of the solution and eventual herd immunity. At this point we hope the virus becomes no more troublesome than the common cold. The vaccine will likely keep you from getting really sick, hospitalized, and dead. Without the vaccination you can do all of that, plus more easily contract the virus and produce a new mutant or spread a mutant. I have a small scar from a smallpox vaccination. Everyone was vaccinated and we don't have to worry about small pox. It is a similar story with polio. We reached such a high immunity level that those diseases are eradicated or nearly so. COVID is a different animal -- new and rapidly mutating -- so that makes it more important to get the (US and global) population vaccinated as soon as possible. Nobody is too precious to be vaccinated.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
For those who are dead on the way to trying to achieve being "naturally vaccinated" antibodies are immaterial.

Those who become "naturally vaccinated" but were extremely sick or left with residual disabilities might have preferred to have gotten their antibodies from the vaccine.

I was in no way referring to it as the path going forward but asking about those who have already gone down the path. 20 million Americans have already navigated that path.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:14 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
Quote:
You just glossed over the one I gave in the preceding post. What makes you think you are any more protected than I am?
Please don't attempt to put words in my mouth. I made no such claim, implicit or explicit. Yes, I overlooked your situation, mea culpa.

Not to diminish the contribution, but as more get vaccinated, fewer will find themselves in the "naturally vaccinated" category, thus reducing their overall relative contribution. Vaccination by needle is a lot faster than waiting for natural vaccination, to say nothing of the unknown number of lives that would also be lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates